Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Isn't that a nice way of calling the 'exempting exam' the final and the 'final' in may the resit?
    Technically; although a fail in January doesn't count as a finals fail, and you can resit if you fail in May.

ReputationRep:
    what a day! swans are going up

ReputationRep:
    Eicosanoids, seriously, what is this ****? I'm not learning DP, FP, IP, EP1,2,3, TP, BLT or CysLT receptors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Eicosanoids, seriously, what is this ****? I'm not learning DP, FP, IP, EP1,2,3, TP, BLT or CysLT receptors.
    Eicosanoids aren't too bad - the rest of that sentence I do not understand :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    See this is the stuff I really like. Also some of those receptors are quite good to know for pharmacology. The CysLT1 is (zafirlukast/montelukast).

ReputationRep:
    I know none of those receptors. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I know none of those receptors. Meh.
    same, i'm starting to wonder if i should though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Didn't come up in immunology last year so I am hoping safe.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'd be classed as essential knowledge! It's just you'll get drugs that work on them and it's difficult to understand the drug if you don't know the target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I doubt they'd be classed as essential knowledge! It's just you'll get drugs that work on them and it's difficult to understand the drug if you don't know the target.
    What sort of drugs. Not heard of any in pharma....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    What sort of drugs. Not heard of any in pharma....
    I mentioned zafirlukast/montelukast that are antagonists of the CysLT1 receptor. Used in asthma.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some motivation please? Just even to be able to write this bloody thing for 2 hours a day even? I physically can't get myself to stay put...

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned zafirlukast/montelukast that are antagonists of the CysLT1 receptor. Used in asthma.
    I know you mentioned them, never heard of them before that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Can someone give me some motivation please? Just even to be able to write this bloody thing for 2 hours a day even? I physically can't get myself to stay put...
    I wouldn't mind some motivation here either if anyone has some spare... stupid finals

ReputationRep:
    misoprostol's another important common one for the EPs (which also include EP4 not previously mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were leukotriene D4 antagonists, or is that the same thing?

(Original post by John Locke)
    misoprostol's another important common one for the EPs (which also include EP4 not previously mentioned)
    Is that the abortion drug?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I thought they were leukotriene D4 antagonists, or is that the same thing?
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but (C4?) D4 and E4 will all agonise it. It's just B4 that doesn't because of its different role as a neutrophil attractant. Either way, D4 will cause bronchoconstriction via CysLT1 and so antagonising it is the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    you are such a nerd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Is that the abortion drug?
    indeed it is, along with PGE2s like dinoproston and PGF2alphas like carboprost. typically with something like mifepristone to lower the necessary dose.

also worthy of note is a role in antagonising the gastric effects on NSAIDs.

i just remember it as the abortion one first too though

ReputationRep:
    you are such a nerd.
    It's called interest... oh, and actually wanting to know what the drugs I may end up prescribing do. And perhaps a shade of nerdiness

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.