Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    What's what you think about?:ahee:
    The fact that even though someone may hurt me with their words, they will fail their GCSEs I hopefully will not.

THHHHHEEE CIRRRRCCCLLLLLLEEEE OFFFF LIFFFEEEEEEEEE
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :yep: :sadnod: not fair I know
    Bull**** it's not fair. Memorisation is a skill that you learn to use and train just like any other.

(Original post by emma.b)
    The fact that even though someone may hurt me with their words, they will fail their GCSEs I hopefully will not.

THHHHHEEE CIRRRRLCCCEEEE OFFFF LIFFFEEEEEEEEE
    One day, they'll be the guys you employ to clean your pool.

Lion King. :love:

ReputationRep:

THHHHHEEE CIRRRRLCCCEEEE OFFFF LIFFFEEEEEEEEE
    I think by going up to said people who wear "Geek" tops and asking them such questions, you're sort of bringing the abuse on yourself. It's a defence they put on and you clearly know you're not going to get the correct answer to your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Bull**** it's not fair. Memorisation is a skill that you learn to use and train just like any other.
    sadly...

ReputationRep:
    Do science/maths a levels have a formulae sheet????

ReputationRep:
    Haha... We had a debate in class on whether exams are the best form of testing in schools. Guess who got the top marks? Haha I argued that they were, the counter argument was that."exams are all about memorisation" and I was like "memorisation forms the basis of knowledge... Doctors need to do it in order to... Blaah".... I agree with you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I'd love to visit Israel! It's on my list of places to go! This year I'm going no where apart from camping....not fun! Wow, yeah I'd burn that ASAP! Maybe the guy was...confused?

Primark is good for socks, I like socks...however their blatent copying of other named-brand clothing is just beyond me...-.-
    Oh good idea!
    "Tell me Geek, what are the main advantages of a polarising microscope for detecting differences in fibres as opposed to a comparitive microscope, and why is this?"

I'd just get a blank stare back. I am looking forward to this!

I love camping ! its better than nothing anways hopefully it should be good although im worried im going to come back ridiculously sunburnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Afternoon
    good afternoon and welcome
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    sadly...
    Yeah. God forbid a subject try to teach you a skill.

(Original post by Jina)
    Haha... We had a debate in class on whether exams are the best form of testing in schools. Guess who got the top marks? Haha I argued that they were, the counter argument was that."exams are all about memorisation" and I was like "memorisation forms the basis of knowledge... Doctors need to do it in order to... Blaah".... I agree with you!
    Unfortunately, it's not a matter of opinion about whether it's something learned, or something inherent!
    PDF warning.

Usually, a written exam tests what you're learning: if the curriculum is geared towards knowledge and memorisation, then that's what gets tested. There are plenty of ways to test understanding and reasoning in an exam scenario, they're just sparse at secondary school level because that's not the focus of that level of education, and it certainly looks like it's only going to get worse.

Memorisation is a key part of learning; so is understanding. Focus on the latter is woefully absent as things stand.

ReputationRep:

One day, they'll be the guys you employ to clean your pool.

Lion King. :love:
    I hope i have a pool...I like swimming!
    I love the Lion King, I went to see it in Florida and I actually loved it!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of metal music?

Does it surprise you that this song is metal, and about the environment? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    cool enjoy yourself
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Back to the old avatar :moon:

ReputationRep:
    good afternoon and welcome
    How are you? And also I wasn't posting because I was at work and not because I am new. :P

Work was boring but such good crack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Back to the old avatar :moon:
    yay i like this one ... its pink !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    I think by going up to said people who wear "Geek" tops and asking them such questions, you're sort of bringing the abuse on yourself. It's a defence they put on and you clearly know you're not going to get the correct answer to your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am restraining myself from a witty comeback however I am not the type of person to mock. The people bring it on themselves - it is the latest fad and one many people will follow even if they think they are a 'geek' or not. What I said back there was humour my dear, not something to be taken seriously. I was responding to his post on his reactions to the question not mine. Logically, I know the answers to the question, I know that the people most likely will not answer correctly and I also know I would get that kind of response.
    However, like I said humour can be interpreted in very different ways and in my defense I was telling him how to deal with cruel words. By lightening up.
    Thats a lesson for everyone I believe....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    How are you? And also I wasn't posting because I was at work and not because I am new. :P

Work was boring but such good crack
    I'm alright thanks, what about you? What job do you have by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    What do you guys think of metal music?

Does it surprise you that this song is metal, and about the environment? :pierre:
    I love metal
    What about Another Way to Die - Disturbed? Thats about the environment too!

ReputationRep:
    I love metal
    What about Another Way to Die - Disturbed? Thats about the environment too!
    Really?! Awesome! :five:

Haven't heard that, will listen to it now

What else do you listen to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.