Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Not defending our transfer windows, they were very badly mismanaged, just stating my look on things.

Exactly, even with an awful record against the top 4 we could have been 6 points better off by just closing the three matches we lead in the second half (Swansea, Everton, Southampton).
    It's easy to say things like that in hindsight but that isn't the way football works. You could easily say Liverpool would have won the league if they didn't drawn with Swansea, Newcastle and Everton early in the season. If if they hadn't bottled a 3 goal lead in the last 10 mins at Palace

I'm positive Arsenal will do well in the league next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    i literally don't get it.

i must make it clear that i'm not certain a 50m bid would've been accepted, but due to the fact suarez wanted to leave for CL football, i reckon we would've accepted.

now nobody could've known that suarez would have had the best year of his career this season, but there were signs from last year that he was becoming world class.
    there was little to separate between him and a man sold for £85m, so why wouldn't he be worth £50m anyway?

i know they will moan about that silly transfer clause thing, but if anything, it's their own fault for not forking out extra for a player that could've won them the league (or definitely got them up there)
    Neither do i. And agree- Suarez was clearly WC last year, he just was surrounded by lesser players- now others have stepped up their game for you guys so has he. He was definitely worth £50 million, I don't understand the logic behind him not being. Proven goal scorer in the league- I can't stress enough how rare that is- would rather pay the extra £15 million for Suarez than for Higuain. Suarez is better anyway. If they had him they would've won the league. Just saying :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey to Jerry Rice this today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Suarez had a good season back then but it was un-parallel to the one he's had this year. He was not worth 50m as that would be overpaying and it would have been a massive risk, especially since Arsene has liked to play it safe with the figures. In hindsight now then yes we should have payed 50m for Suarez but it's understandable why we didn't at that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    true, this season was a whole new level, but as i said before, he wasn't even that far behind bale last year.
    obviously bale was sold at wayy too high a value (should've been 60m tops), but just comparing the two players, would you say that suarez was worth less than half of bale (85m vs 40m) at that time?

(Original post by Zürich)
    Bottom line is that there was a £40m release clause, and that had we taken the issue to court, we certainly would have won. Issue is that this would have taken months and Luis Suarez probably wasnt willing to sit around twiddling his thumbs for it to be resolved.

I reckon Arsenal probably have grounds to take Liverpool to court even now tbh.
    tbh, i tried to stay away from it - i'm not really one for all these stupid little clauses and extra bits
    although from what i heard, you got a rough deal; i would probably be complaining in your place if we missed out on a world class player due to an (apparent) ignoring of a contract clause

ReputationRep:
    i literally don't get it.

i must make it clear that i'm not certain a 50m bid would've been accepted, but due to the fact suarez wanted to leave for CL football, i reckon we would've accepted.

now nobody could've known that suarez would have had the best year of his career this season, but there were signs from last year that he was becoming world class.
    there was little to separate between him and a man sold for £85m, so why wouldn't he be worth £50m anyway?

i know they will moan about that silly transfer clause thing, but if anything, it's their own fault for not forking out extra for a player that could've won them the league (or definitely got them up there)
    Silly little transfer clause?!

What, the actual clause that was in his contract? Silly us for thinking there was some decency in the world of football!! :rolleyes:

Either way, the addition of the £1 ****ed us, was a massive slap in the face to Liverpool from us, and if I was in that position I would have told whoever in question to **** off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)
    Neither do i. And agree- Suarez was clearly WC last year, he just was surrounded by lesser players- now others have stepped up their game for you guys so has he. He was definitely worth £50 million, I don't understand the logic behind him not being. Proven goal scorer in the league- I can't stress enough how rare that is- would rather pay the extra £15 million for Suarez than for Higuain. Suarez is better anyway. If they had him they would've won the league. Just saying :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    definitely - bale was clearly the best, but not by a big enough margin for him to be valued double of suarez.

yeah exactly, now that players like henderson and sterling have brought their game, we're finally doing decent rather than being carried

i think the biting incident ruined it a little
    ruined his reputation - people assumed he was gonna leave english football as a result
    probably decreased his perceived value

but in the end, i'm obviously happy he didn't go, but it's kinda funny that arsenal were so close and maybe even should've got him (if the contract clause was legit)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    We're quite heavily linked with Serge Aurier so we may have a plan for his exit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right! Just read a goal.com article on Serge and I can't help but be impressed by him. For £7m that could be the signing of the year for a highly rated 21 year old talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    And? He would be upset if Sagna goes to City, too...
    I was on about Sagna being upset with the other players leaving. Like at the utd game he didnt even acknowledge van Persie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Those games against City & Chelsea didn't cost us, we never beat those teams even at home. It was the Villa, Swansea and the Everton all home & Southampton away, especially considering we were in the winning position.

Are you kidding? You so realise once you take out Walcott that's something around 20 goals and assists gone right? That's shown in our goals scored, one of lowest in recent years. Even if we wanted Salah, Chelsea could just offer him an extra £20k a week and he'd sign for them. Wingers with Walcott's sort of return aren't cheap, especially in January. What would happen once he returned? We'd have splash £30m+ on a for 6 months. But we were after Draxler and everything was agreed but Schalke's president blocked it, so it's not like we didn't try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You never beat them at home, that's why you never win the league :rofl: You have to take points off the big teams to win the league, simple (inb4 someone quotes Chelsea stats).

Can't use the Walcott thing considering Aguero was injured for about half the season. Get your hands out of your pockets and spend some ******* money then. Why can't you afford his wages like Chelsea? He wouldn't have been for 6 months, it's well known that you need another winger and you will most likely buy one now, so you basically waited until you ****** up the league to sign one. Nice. Draxler was a waste of time and not even what you needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Silly little transfer clause?!

What, the actual clause that was in his contract? Silly us for thinking there was some decency in the world of football!! :rolleyes:

Either way, the addition of the £1 ****ed us, was a massive slap in the face to Liverpool from us, and if I was in that position I would have told whoever in question to **** off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i don't know what the clause was specifically - as i said, i stayed away from info regarding it in detail
    to be fair, you were hard done by; even if it wasn't a written contract, but only a verbal agreement, we should've honouredit since we didn't get CL football

you got that last part spot on
    a massive sign of disrespect - terrible tactics from your transfer negotiators.
    as i said yesterday, 40.1m or even 41m would have been a decent value, but one pound over was just insulting and too obvious.

ReputationRep:
    true, this season was a whole new level, but as i said before, he wasn't even that far behind bale last year.
    obviously bale was sold at wayy too high a value (should've been 60m tops), but just comparing the two players, would you say that suarez was worth less than half of bale (85m vs 40m) at that time?

tbh, i tried to stay away from it - i'm not really one for all these stupid little clauses and extra bits
    although from what i heard, you got a rough deal; i would probably be complaining in your place if we missed out on a world class player due to an (apparent) ignoring of a contract clause
    Put Bale in Tottenham and you have a serious CL contending team

Put Suarez in Tottenham and they'll still be as embarrassing

Not saying he isn't as good as Bale because he's probably better but one does much more for the team then the other. Suarez thrived among others this season (sterling sturridge Gerrard Coutinho) so there isn't much evidence to show he could lift the team as much as Bale could.

Having said that, it's not like Madrid are desperate for some one to lift the team so I really don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    definitely - bale was clearly the best, but not by a big enough margin for him to be valued double of suarez.

yeah exactly, now that players like henderson and sterling have brought their game, we're finally doing decent rather than being carried

i think the biting incident ruined it a little
    ruined his reputation - people assumed he was gonna leave english football as a result
    probably decreased his perceived value

but in the end, i'm obviously happy he didn't go, but it's kinda funny that arsenal were so close and maybe even should've got him (if the contract clause was legit)
    It's jokes. I hate both your clubs so i'm indifferent tbh :lol:

I find it funny how they're now gonna convince themselves when they sign Mandzukic that they have the WC striker they craved yet could have had Suarez 12 months ago :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    And it's Arsenal
    Arsenal F.C
    Were by far the greatest team
    The world has ever seen!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm still pissed off at that 40,000,001 bid, at the time I found it funny. If Wenger just bidded £45M or something serious Suarez would be ours by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    And it's Arsenal
    Arsenal F.C
    Were by far the greatest team
    The world has ever seen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what about when Chelsea won 6 - 0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)
    You never beat them at home, that's why you never win the league :rofl: You have to take points off the big teams to win the league, simple (inb4 someone quotes Chelsea stats).

Can't use the Walcott thing considering Aguero was injured for about half the season. Get your hands out of your pockets and spend some ******* money then. Why can't you afford his wages like Chelsea? He wouldn't have been for 6 months, it's well known that you need another winger and you will most likely buy one now, so you basically waited until you ****** up the league to sign one. Nice. Draxler was a waste of time and not even what you needed.
    Yes but we are flat track bullies and usually compensate for our failings against the big teams by beating all the smaller teams, simple.

Dzeko, Negredo & Jovetic are sufficient cover for Aguero as we've seen. We have no one to replace Theo in that regard.

Lol so who would you have suggested considering we weren't even interested in Salah, so I don't know why you are so hung up over him. Even if we matched him wages, Chelsea would just offer more.

We weren't interested in him and those we were interested in were not available in January, and if they were, only for silly money.

The lack of a Winger didn't cost us the league, but rather not having sufficient cover for Giroud when he was running on fumes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)

And Ramsey?
    And AOC?
    And Podolski?
    And Cazorla?
    And Ozil?
    And Arteta?
    And Wilshere?

These players were also out for months at a time. They're worth a few points I'm sure you'll agree. It's fair enough for people to say that Arsenal's injury problems are our own doing, but it's quite another to pretend that we didn't have much worse injury issues than any other team this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heiljoe)
    But what about when Chelsea won 6 - 0?
    One team in London
    There's only one team in London
    One team in London
    There's only one team in London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    One team in London
    There's only one team in London
    One team in London
    There's only one team in London!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    QPR?

Fulham?

ReputationRep:
    Land of hope and glory
    We all follow the Arsenal
    Over land and sea ( and Leicester)
    We all follow the Arsenal
    Into victory!

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.