Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casiobose)
    Hey guys, can you assess what chances I have for Economics at a top-flight uni, and where may be appropriate?
    GCSEs: 8A* 1A
    AS post-exam predictions
    Economics:
    Micro - 85%
    Macro - 98%
    History:
    Unit 1 - 96%
    Unit 2 - 95%
    Politics:
    Unit 1 - 70%
    Unit 2 - 95%
    Maths:
    C1 - 97%
    C2 - 79%
    S1 - 89%

I kind of messed up maths, what are my chances?
    With only 4As at AS? No chance mate...

ReputationRep:
    How do employers rate Economics from queen mary? I know its not a target university but it's a russell group and they are around 15th i think according to CUG. I like economics as a subject and I want to go into finance roles such as analyst or accountancy. Not really looking into IB atm

ReputationRep:
    What are the maximum amount of books to mention on an economics or E and M PS?

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on queen mary for economics and their general reputation? I think i will end up in queen mary

ReputationRep:
    What are the maximum amount of books to mention on an economics or E and M PS?
    I think I mentioned about three, and it didn't seem to hurt my chances You looking at Oxford then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    How do employers rate Economics from queen mary? I know its not a target university but it's a russell group and they are around 15th i think according to CUG. I like economics as a subject and I want to go into finance roles such as analyst or accountancy. Not really looking into IB atm
    I'd consider Birmingham as well. They ask for the same grades, it's got a pretty good reputation and in my opinion I thought I would enjoy Birmingham more

But if you prefer queen mary than yeah it's got a pretty good reputation as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    I'd consider Birmingham as well. They ask for the same grades, it's got a pretty good reputation and in my opinion I thought I would enjoy Birmingham more

But if you prefer queen mary than yeah it's got a pretty good reputation as well
    Ahh yeah I need to stay in London for various reasons, so Queen Mary is the preferred option. I guess I could still get into IB with good networking but a target uni would have made it easier. Oh well, wrong subject choices means I pay the price later

Queen mary were 4th last year for economics according to the Guardian so I guess i got that going for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Ahh yeah I need to stay in London for various reasons, so Queen Mary is the preferred option. I guess I could still get into IB with good networking but a target uni would have made it easier. Oh well, wrong subject choices means I pay the price later

Queen mary were 4th last year for economics according to the Guardian so I guess i got that going for me
    Yeah about that...

ReputationRep:
    What are the top 5 target uni's?
    What are the best degree's to be able to get into IB?
    What kind of grades will you need at AS and A level?
    And are there any jobs in investing aside from IB for a fresh out of Uni graduate?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Quinton)
    And are there any jobs in investing aside from IB for a fresh out of Uni graduate?
    This is the economics thread mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here thinking of adjustment?

I had my heart set on Warwick before I was rejected and now my firm is Notts (A*AA). I reckon I can get possibly two A*. If i do I may try adjustment, although It will be unlikely due to the shortage of spaces.

I reckon it's worth a try though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis7253)
    Anyone here thinking of adjustment?

I had my heart set on Warwick before I was rejected and now my firm is Notts (A*AA). I reckon I can get possibly two A*. If i do I may try adjustment, although It will be unlikely due to the shortage of spaces.

I reckon it's worth a try though.
    I don't think they take anyone for adjustment, you can ask though

ReputationRep:
    top unis for econ : LSE, CAM, UCL, WARWICK and OXFORD but since u cant do both ox and cam go like durham as number 5

best degree for IB: ECON obvs

GRADES: for top unis at AS basically straight As with good ums (90+ in maths for CAM and LSE)

OTHER JOBS: Ttading/ stocks exchange, Hegde funds as opposed to conventional IB, and obvs other jobs like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellyfish96)
    top unis for econ : LSE, CAM, UCL, WARWICK and OXFORD but since u cant do both ox and cam go like durham as number 5

best degree for IB: ECON obvs

GRADES: for top unis at AS basically straight As with good ums (90+ in maths for CAM and LSE)

OTHER JOBS: Ttading/ stocks exchange, Hegde funds as opposed to conventional IB, and obvs other jobs like that.
    What are the top 5 target uni's?What are the best degree's to be able to get into IB?What kind of grades will you need at AS and A level?And are there any jobs in investing aside from IB for a fresh out of Uni graduate?

Just want to add that degree choice means little if you're at a target, but the best degrees are maths heavy ones, i.e. Econ, Maths, Physics, Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to go in to investment banking. Which looks better, Economics or E&M?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to go in to investment banking. Which looks better, Economics or E&M?
    Whichever one you would prefer to study for 3 years

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what Universities are normally in clearing for Economics and what grades would you need

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wondering does anyone know if Warwick has any leniency with grades. For example, if I'm offered an A*AA for economics, could I get in with A*A*B

ReputationRep:
    I know of people that got in with AAA. Don't know how A*A*B would stack up. I presume it's looked at on a case by case basis. They'll probably factor everything into account - especially what that B is in. If it's Maths, I don't see them being very leniant.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be okay to apply for both straight Economics and Economics & Management at different universities? Because, for example, the offer for econ at Bristol is A*AA but for E&M it's AAA, so I was considering applying to Bristol for E&M but everywhere else for pure Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.