Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Swings and roundabouts basically. Plus anyway it was a red card. Regardless of whether he saw the man he went high foot and studs onto Arbeloa. Could have easily injured him.
    If Nani and Arbeloa were facing the same way then I would agree, but Nani was already committed to getting the ball (mid air), Arbeloa played him and just dived in knowing he'd get him in trouble. Wasn't a red for me, but expect a Spanish player to make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    It's been 11 years since Steven Gerrard was made captain! It's crazy how time flies, it will be so emotional the day he retires. He has been an amazing servant to the club and has single-handedly won us trophies, absolute legend. The reason I became a Liverpool supporter was due to watching Gerrard play and being awestruck by him. It has been such a privilege to watch Gerrard captain Liverpool, all he needs now is to win the PL to top off his fantastic career.
    yer, I remember when he was made captain.

Can't believe it's been 11 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    It's been 11 years since Steven Gerrard was made captain! It's crazy how time flies, it will be so emotional the day he retires. He has been an amazing servant to the club and has single-handedly won us trophies, absolute legend. The reason I became a Liverpool supporter was due to watching Gerrard play and being awestruck by him. It has been such a privilege to watch Gerrard captain Liverpool, all he needs now is to win the PL to top off his fantastic career.
    (Original post by G up hoes down)
    yer, I remember when he was made captain.

Can't believe it's been 11 years
    you can never forget some of the things he has done for us.

one game that will always stick in my mind is a few years back in the europa league when he came off the bench against napoli at 1-0 down and bagged a hattrick.
    literally dragged us over the line single handedly; couldn't believe it.

it's a real shame he'll (most likely) never have that coveted premier league medal but how many players have captained a champions league winning side?
    people will focus on the one trophy he never won but when you look back at his service for club and country over the years, he really is an oustanding footballer.

would it be too much to say he's the greatest ever liverpool player?

ReputationRep:
    We'll definitely finish in the top four and I think we'll get third.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    you can never forget some of the things he has done for us.

one game that will always stick in my mind is a few years back in the europa league when he came off the bench against napoli at 1-0 down and bagged a hattrick.
    literally dragged us over the line single handedly; couldn't believe it.

it's a real shame he'll (most likely) never have that coveted premier league medal but how many players have captained a champions league winning side?
    people will focus on the one trophy he never won but when you look back at his service for club and country over the years, he really is an oustanding footballer.

would it be too much to say he's the greatest ever liverpool player?
    I think that was the first game that JW Henry and his wife came to watch? Made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and Gerrard's name was sung by 40,000 fans.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't we all just keep this forum to football matters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think that was the first game that JW Henry and his wife came to watch? Made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and Gerrard's name was sung by 40,000 fans.
    It was bloody amazing man.

Then you look back at some of his goals.
    The best he's ever scored has gotta be that screamer against Olympiakos (I think).
    But probably the most amazing I've seen from him was FA cup final 2006.

What a game that was...

ReputationRep:
    Super Frank is a better version of Stevie for me. Notice how we treated him with respect after he left and even when he dented our title hopes we cheered him like a hero, he was the prodigal son who struck his father with a fatal wound, only to be forgiven and loved like the good son he was. Once a chav Stevie, always a chav.

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
    He slipped on his ****ing arse
    He gave it to Demba Ba
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My favourite Alonso memory is perhaps not the most talked about.

Everybody speaks about his goals in the final or against Newcastle/Luton, but my favourite memory was that free-kick against Fulham. What a strike. Two goals down at half-time, to come back and win 4-2.

Also, that opening goal against Arsenal at Anfield in 04-05. They were the Invincibles and - fair enough - Mellor got the last minute winner, but everything about that Alonso goal from Gerrard's lay-off to the finish was just sublime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    Super Frank is a better version of Stevie for me. Notice how we treated him with respect after he left and even when he dented our title hopes we cheered him like a hero, he was the prodigal son who struck his father with a fatal wound, only to be forgiven and loved like the good son he was. Once a chav Stevie, always a chav.

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
    He slipped on his ****ing arse
    He gave it to Demba Ba
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    very poor attempt to bait liverpool fans on here.

all i'll do is respond with my opinion on lampard and gerrard.
    i of course have bias and i have immense respect for lampard - what he did for chelsea over the years and what he is still doing at his age is incredible.
    however i wouldn't put lampard on the same level as gerrard.

lampard has been excellent for chelsea, but think of the quality he has had surrounding him?
    did gerrard have the same level of quality? - of course not.
    some may say that it means he stands out more but you still have to perform at a high level.
    if lampard is superior, why was it gerrard who was always above him at international level?

i'm not taking anything away from frank - he's an excellent footballer and just a good man in general, but in my mind he's on a level just below gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    very poor attempt to bait liverpool fans on here.

all i'll do is respond with my opinion on lampard and gerrard.
    i of course have bias and i have immense respect for lampard - what he did for chelsea over the years and what he is still doing at his age is incredible.
    however i wouldn't put lampard on the same level as gerrard.

lampard has been excellent for chelsea, but think of the quality he has had surrounding him?
    did gerrard have the same level of quality? - of course not.
    some may say that it means he stands out more but you still have to perform at a high level.
    if lampard is superior, why was it gerrard who was always above him at international level?

i'm not taking anything away from frank - he's an excellent footballer and just a good man in general, but in my mind he's on a level just below gerrard.
    What a nut you totally fell for it LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheckThisOutYo)
    What a nut you totally fell for it LOL
    lol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Lampard was more consistent but Gerrard could play to a higher level (e.g West Ham, Olympiacos, AC Milan where he dragged his team to victory almost single handedly). There's very little in it but if I had to pick one i'd probably go with Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Lampard was more consistent but Gerrard could play to a higher level (e.g West Ham, Olympiacos, AC Milan where he dragged his team to victory almost single handedly). There's very little in it but if I had to pick one i'd probably go with Gerrard.
    that's actually an excellent way of summarising the difference between the two players (prsom).

yeah, with Gerrard you will always remember those special games, those times where you couldn't believe what just happened.
    Lampard on the other hand was the guy who was "always there at the right time" - you can even see it in some of his city goals; he is just so consistent as a player over the years.

the downside for lampard is that people remember the big moments more than they remember a solid, consistent career.
    don't get me wrong, Frank has had some great moments in his career (he scored in a CL final and won it on two different occasions) however Gerrard will always be overshadowing him in the sense that they are two English central midfielders of a similar age having their career-span at more or less the same time.

i think it's all down to what a team needs - chelsea utilised lampard's consistency and reliability so well but at liverpool we needed one man to step it up and pull us through matches when he needed to; we didn't have the same level of quality as chelsea; we needed somebody to take charge, scare the other team and deliver when it was needed.

ReputationRep:
    Damn my favourite argument. We just need to include Scholes and we're sorted. Lampard has only won the Champions League once.

Anyone got any team news? What a dire international break, they're usually ****e anyway but San Marino and Estonia, bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    don't get me wrong, Frank has had some great moments in his career (he scored in a CL final and won it on two different occasions)
    Please enlighten me on the time a Frank Lampard won the CL twice. I still have nightmares about that Terry miss to this day. It haunts me more than anything. Means when **** gets bad (when my ex dumped me for example), I relive that night in Moscow and realise it could be worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    Please enlighten me on the time a Frank Lampard won the CL twice. I still have nightmares about that Terry miss to this day. It haunts me more than anything. Means when **** gets bad (when my ex dumped me for example), I relive that night in Moscow and realise it could be worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Lampard has only won the Champions League once.
    nah i meant he scored a CL final goal (but came runner up) and he also won it; 2 different finals
    sorry, reading it back that was worded terribly...

that terry miss still makes me cringe.
    i can't begin to imagine how painful that must have been for a chelsea fan.
    but credit to the guy, he stepped up to take a pen on the most pressurized of all stages.
    maybe he wanted the glory, maybe he put himself forward because nobody else had the balls, who knows?

all i know is that chelsea were inches away from winning the champions league and man united are the most frustratingly lucky team i have ever seen in my 11 years supporting liverpool (no bias, i swear!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    nah i meant he scored a CL final goal (but came runner up) and he also won it; 2 different finals
    sorry, reading it back that was worded terribly...

that terry miss still makes me cringe.
    i can't begin to imagine how painful that must have been for a chelsea fan.
    but credit to the guy, he stepped up to take a pen on the most pressurized of all stages.
    maybe he wanted the glory, maybe he put himself forward because nobody else had the balls, who knows?

all i know is that chelsea were inches away from winning the champions league and man united are the most frustratingly lucky team i have ever seen in my 11 years supporting liverpool (no bias, i swear!)
    We were the strongest team in Europe at that time (talking about 08' CL) :moon:. We got lucky with the Terry slip but a penalty shootout is all based on luck anyway. I still remember the heartbreak when Ronaldo missed and then praying that Terry misses.

Apart from our European exploits, we always usually won the league comfortably. Dont see how you can call us the 'luckiest' team in the last 11 years (unless you're joking that is )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    We were the strongest team in Europe at that time (talking about 08' CL) :moon:. We got lucky with the Terry slip but a penalty shootout is all based on luck anyway. 99' CL win was not luck. We kept going til the very end and got our just rewards although yiu had to feel for Bayern fans. You cant get lucky if you consistently win games/score goals in the dying seconds and thats what United did during Fergie's reign.

Apart from our European exploits, we always usually won the league comfortably. Dont see how you can call us the 'luckiest' team in the last 11 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the terry slip was awful.
    i didn't particularly like terry or chelsea but i hated man united with a passion back then.
    i just can't get my head around how you were literally inches away from losing the CL and then won it...
    i've become a little less hateful towards them over the years but i can't explain how much i disliked you guys under SAF; you were just too good.

true, although the strongest team in europe doesn't always win (re: milan in 04/05)
    i agree, 99' was a team going to the end, although no team would give up if they're only 1 goal down.
    gotta feel for bayern though, going from winning the european cup to losing it in a matter of minutes...

meh, just my bitterness - all those late 1-0 wins you had in 08/09, that killed me
    i still to this day hate macheda...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    the terry slip was awful.
    i didn't particularly like terry or chelsea but i hated man united with a passion back then.
    i just can't get my head around how you were literally inches away from losing the CL and then won it...
    i've become a little less hateful towards them over the years but i can't explain how much i disliked you guys under SAF; you were just too good.

true, although the strongest team in europe doesn't always win (re: milan in 04/05)
    i agree, 99' was a team going to the end, although no team would give up if they're only 1 goal down.
    gotta feel for bayern though, going from winning the european cup to losing it in a matter of minutes...

meh, just my bitterness - all those late 1-0 wins you had in 08/09, that killed me
    i still to this day hate macheda...
    Yeah you had to feel for the Chelsea fans but more for Terry. But he finally did get his hands on a CL medal so alls good. I wouldnt say we were amazing in Fergie's latter years but from 06-09 we were particularly frightening and mainly due to the counter attacks from Ronaldo and Rooney supplied by Scholes. Also our defence was just amazing. The 09 CL final still ****ing annoys me tbh, we were so close to winning back to back CLs but we came up against one of the greatest club sides ever. 2011 CL final loss was hard to take but i always knew we didnt have much of a chance.

Haha i edited my post because you said last 11 years as a Liverpool supporter and the 99' CL win wasnt in that time period. But yeah must have been so gutting for Bayern. But then again they did lose on thier own backyard to Chelsea in a CL final. That surely must have hurt more.

Ah what a striker from the lad. He even followed it up with another goal the next PL fixture. How far he has fallen since then though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.