The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
They have the option of voting for other parties; it just won't do much. That's nothing to do with how democratic it is. Democracy is the ability to vote. And i don't see how more democracy is inherently good. Democracy isn't perfect, it's simply better than the alternatives.

if you can find a serious (ie, not troll) quote of me directly saying that i hate women, I will give you a rep.

Where did i attack your grammar? Everyone has confirmation bias. But I articulate my reasons for disliking her policies on here occasionally and you can never mount a serious argument against my views.
please tell me you aren't serious? Democracy is having your voice heard and if you don't agree with the mainstream in a 2 party system then you can't have your voice heard.

the fact you said it as a troll quote and you have said that you like to say outrageous things about women for 'banter' mean whatever I find you will say I'm wrong, stop being a Nigel and pretending you aren't something you are. The more I hear from you the more I am convinced you are a blue who has convinced himself he's red.

in that post!!! And please tell me again.

Fallacy.
if you cannot attack the idea but instead have to attack the person you are wrong.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
please tell me you aren't serious? Democracy is having your voice heard and if you don't agree with the mainstream in a 2 party system then you can't have your voice heard.

the fact you said it as a troll quote and you have said that you like to say outrageous things about women for 'banter' mean whatever I find you will say I'm wrong, stop being a Nigel and pretending you aren't something you are. The more I hear from you the more I am convinced you are a blue who has convinced himself he's red.

in that post!!! And please tell me again.

if you cannot attack the idea but instead have to attack the person you are wrong.
Democracy is indifferent to your voice being heard. You voting for your preferred party and them being large, or you voting for your party and them being small, is of no consequence to how democratic the choice is. Also, you want there to be no two large Parties it seems. That's undemocratic; let the voters decide.

Okay; look at any of my serious posts (arguing about feminism I shall count as serious) and pick something out.

I remember genuinly being confused about your spelling (i actually did think you meant "he") and i corrected a semantics mistake. I never once referred to your grammar.

It's a fallacy to posit that "He cannot demonstrate I am wrong" therefore means "Therefore he is wrong". You're supposed to be good at maths; think logically for once.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Not if the person is an illiterate, uneducated, unintelligent arse. Though generally, I agree with you - if you attack the person it means you can't find a fault with the argument
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Democracy is indifferent to your voice being heard. You voting for your preferred party and them being large, or you voting for your party and them being small, is of no consequence to how democratic the choice is. Also, you want there to be no two large Parties it seems. That's undemocratic; let the voters decide.

Okay; look at any of my serious posts (arguing about feminism I shall count as serious) and pick something out.

I remember genuinly being confused about your spelling (i actually did think you meant "he") and i corrected a logic mistake. I never once referred to your grammar.

It's a fallacy to posit that "He cannot demonstrate I am wrong" therefore means "Therefore he is wrong". You're supposed to be good at maths; think logically for once.
i find 2 party politics which is created by FPTP as bad, I do also think that 2 party politics isn't right for anyone because it forces the future to be made upon the choises of the past.

ok, gimme a sec....

Ok, generally in maths if H1 can't be proven we take H0 to be the case which is what I was doing....
(Original post by bun)
Not if the person is an illiterate, uneducated, unintelligent arse. Though generally, I agree with you - if you attack the person it means you can't find a fault with the argument
Was that targeted at someone in particular?
aye, exactly.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Was that targeted at someone in particular?
Come on, you should know
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Come on, you should know
It better not be me
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It better not be me
Well... Bun?!
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Well... Bun?!
I couldn't possibly say
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OED)
religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
well capitalism believes in a superhuman market that controls all of our lives, one that no one person has control over and often they say
the markets are the most fair and effective way of distribution of wealth
sounding like worship after all you don't question a god... Maybe we should redefine capitalism as a religion as opposed to a political ideology, it seems to fit that definition perfectly.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone for a Saturday evening pint?
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Mazzini)
Throwback to when we went to see the easel outside Buckingham Palace for George's birth! Blimey that was a long time ago!
Blast from the past!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Just out of interest - what suddenly sparked all the drinking at the Bar, I don't remember it happening before. Mobbs - that you?
Haha, maybe :/
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its the barman's duty to maintain steady revenue to the Treasury via the bar. In a few terms bar revenue will be funding the Department for Education and in a few more after that 'Head of the Bar' will be a permanent cabinet position and/or title on the Queen's Birthday honours list.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Afraid UKIP might win this election outright
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Afraid UKIP might win this election outright
What makes you say that? I think we'll have a Green majority.

Also, I apologise for my inactivity. I'm doing my best it's just that as the TSR election cracks on so does the RL election and I'm almost always out and about canvassing, leafleting or something, for instance on Monday I'm off to Haringey to meet Natalie and Jean Lambert talk about immigration and asylum seekers.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
What makes you say that? I think we'll have a Green majority.

Also, I apologise for my inactivity. I'm doing my best it's just that as the TSR election cracks on so does the RL election and I'm almost always out and about canvassing, leafleting or something, for instance on Monday I'm off to Haringey to meet Natalie and Jean Lambert talk about immigration and asylum seekers.
The mass influx of of kippers and I can't see us winning again, I'd love it but:sad:

thats fine
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I'm off again, that was fun!

I'll be back at some point next week, hopefully before the results are released. Bye fellow TSRians.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The mass influx of of kippers and I can't see us winning again, I'd love it but:sad:

thats fine
Well, We're growing increasingly popular on the national stage which is likely to resonate, and more people are likely to vote for us as they see it as a "safer" vote than in the actual general election. Overall I see no reason not to be optimistic and even though I don't expect a majority I can easily see us winning another election.
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Anyone for a Saturday evening pint?
You read my mind, hope the Thatchers keg isn't empty yet
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoeL1994)
You read my mind, hope the Thatchers keg isn't empty yet
Well we'll just put it on someone's expenses and get another keg!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads