Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I did a topic on Jurisprudence (Naturalism vs. Positivism) which I very much enjoyed - however, I appreciate that legal theory may not be everyone's favourite thing to research
    What was your conclusion, Naturalism or Positivism and why? If you don't mind explaining .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coreling)
    What was your conclusion, Naturalism or Positivism and why? If you don't mind explaining .
    Ughh... there's too much detail to go into!

What I concluded was that there was a difference between a law being functional (as in, achieving its intended purposes, and being efficient/easily adaptable in the process), and being fair/just (which implicitly involves a value judgment and is thus dependent on morality). However, I also pointed out that the difference between functionality and fairness may not be as clear as imagined, and that earlier Naturalist's views (Cicero, Locke, and so on) that there was a certain universal dogma that was inherently right and true is objectively wrong, owing to how perception of morality has changed so radically since the Classical era. It's a bit relativistic, but the notion that "truth" is somehow contained in any authoritative text is sooo antiquated...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The argument was a lot more detailed than that, but that's the outline of the conclusion...
    I also didn't pick sides, as both theories are flawed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Ughh... there's too much detail to go into!

What I concluded was that there was a difference between a law being functional (as in, achieving its intended purposes, and being efficient/easily adaptable in the process), and being fair/just (which implicitly involves a value judgment and is thus dependent on morality). However, I also pointed out that the difference between functionality and fairness may not be as clear as imagined, and that earlier Naturalist's views (Cicero, Locke, and so on) that there was a certain universal dogma that was inherently right and true is objectively wrong, owing to how perception of morality has changed so radically since the Classical era. It's a bit relativistic, but the notion that "truth" is somehow contained in any authoritative text is sooo antiquated...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The argument was a lot more detailed than that, but that's the outline of the conclusion...
    I also didn't pick sides, as both theories are flawed!
    Very interesting! Thanks for the summary .

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Durham today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had the same decision to make... chose Kings due to slightly better international reputation and need to get out of boarding school feel surroundings but Bristol as backup as its lower grades depends on whether you want the city life or more campus feel which Bristol gives!

(Original post by HeisenbergWW)
    Struggling to choose between Bristol and King's.. worried about living in London :/

ReputationRep:
    then again if social life is important Bristol again trumps LSE, as pretty much every other universit does apparently...

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    I'd personally agree (had to make that choice too actually), but that really depends on the individual and what their expectations are.

I'd also argue that only LSE can really claim that favourable treatment, but again it depends on the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraxmarie)
    I got an offer from Reading today, but also applied to Oxford, Exeter, Cardiff and Nottingham and only got acknowledgements so far!!

Sent on 12th Oct
    Congrats! What subjects did you take and what grades did you get to get a Reading offer?
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, for those of you who asked Nottingham replied to my email. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your enquiry. As we are heavily oversubscribed this year, we are still processing the majority of our applications and offers. At the moment, we endeavour to have our offers processed by the end of March. You should hear back quite soon. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Kind Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    Hey guys, for those of you who asked Nottingham replied to my email. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your enquiry. As we are heavily oversubscribed this year, we are still processing the majority of our applications and offers. At the moment, we endeavour to have our offers processed by the end of March. You should hear back quite soon. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Kind Regards,
    Great so my rejection will be here by next week 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    Manchester is a great student city - and cheap too. Hope you like rain. Don't know anything about the law department. Leicester has a strong law department afaik. Not a bad place to live, obviously much smaller than Manchester and closer to the rest of the country. Good rugby team. Not much in it - try to visit them. (I'm not going to comment on Hull - it's your life.)
    "Good rugby team" when Leicester's top of the prem

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else getting really frustrated with Nottingham, I applied 6 months ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)

Does this mean the law department is heavily oversubscribed or the uni in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    Does this mean the law department is heavily oversubscribed or the uni in general?
    Law always is oversubscribed at RG Unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    Law courses at most unis have an application : offer ratio that's higher (quite a lot higher, actually) than 1:1, and I can imagine that a uni like Nottingham gets thousands of applications for the places it offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeshp)
    Great so my rejection will be here by next week 😂😂
    hahahah this is exactly how i'm feeling!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to put this out there again but does anyone have any thoughts over firming UCL or LSE? Really struggling to decide !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaJBrady)
    Sorry to put this out there again but does anyone have any thoughts over firming UCL or LSE? Really struggling to decide !
    Makes no difference, they're both excellent unis and equal in prestige! Well done on the offers! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Law always is oversubscribed at RG Unis.
    Most courses would be competive at RG unis though surely?... I guess law would be more competitive than others, but the same principle may apply to medicine and veterinary medicine and engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Most courses would be competive at RG unis though surely?... I guess law would be more competitive than others, but the same principle may apply to medicine and veterinary medicine and engineering
    I don't think that he implied anything to the contrary... There will inevitably be oversubscribed courses, and Law, in relative terms, is one of the most oversubscribed ones in the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Most courses would be competitive at RG unis though surely?.
    Yes, but definitely not all.

All RG Unis will have 'hard to fill courses' - not because they are poor courses but because not many people want to do them. Joint honours, especially those with a language, and subjects with unusual names like Geology, Anthropology, etc that students have not studied at school will all tend to have lower application numbers, making it far more likely that you'll get an offer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.