Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblyraindrop)
    Oh that makes them seem less daunting and more to help, thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Generally it's a tick-box exercise which you will track and modify over time as your knowledge in particular areas increases. It's particularly helpful for mentors to enable them to plan your timetable to both enable you to show off your strengths and also have time to develop areas of weakness. It can feed into your targets set at you mentor meetings as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Thanks. I'd be doing MFL. I have a few worries though. How do you know if you have a real passion for teaching before you commit to the course and before you are in the classroom environment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest, you don't, which is why it's no crime to drop out if you find you really hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    Generally it's a tick-box exercise which you will track and modify over time as your knowledge in particular areas increases. It's particularly helpful for mentors to enable them to plan your timetable to both enable you to show off your strengths and also have time to develop areas of weakness. It can feed into your targets set at you mentor meetings as well.
    Thats actually okay if it helps us with our weaknesses. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be starting the uni based part of the PGCE mid September. We haven't been given a timetable yet. What's the uni time table usually like? I understand it will vary from university to university, however in general is it usually 9am - 4pm or longer, and how many lectures/workshops/etc. would you generally have in a day?

Just wanted to know so I can prepare myself a bit. Thank-You.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starshine123)
    Hi, I'm going to be starting the uni based part of the PGCE mid September. We haven't been given a timetable yet. What's the uni time table usually like? I understand it will vary from university to university, however in general is it usually 9am - 4pm or longer, and how many lectures/workshops/etc. would you generally have in a day?

Just wanted to know so I can prepare myself a bit. Thank-You.
    As you've said it probably varies greatly, but all those I have known about have been 9-5 solid just with lunch- not like an undergrad uni day. They get so little time in uni now as the govt. are pushing for more and more in the classroom, so they use what they can to the fullest. Having said that, we often finished a bit early on the days later in the year.

At my uni (UEA, primary) we usually had an hour lecture at 9 followed by two three hour seminars with lunch in the middle. I say seminars for want of a better word... They were sessions with a bit of talking from lecturers, a lot of discussion between students, practical activities and a short tea/toilet break somewhere in the middle.

There were also some different days like PSHE/RE days with a carousel of shorter sessions, or professional development days with a slightly different layout and different groups (we had teaching groups for the sessions, pd groups for pd sessions).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did secondary biology at UEA and on uni days we would be working from 9-5, with and hour for lunch and a couple of comfort breaks. We would have lectures in the morning with all of the other secondary subjects and then split into subject groups for the afternoon for seminar type work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I heard we get free diaries from the unions we sign up to when we start our course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Terrifying that this time next week I'll be just travelling home from uni. Really looking forward to it but the nerves are definitely creeping in.

Bought myself new doc martens to teach in (really comfy, warm enough for cold morning trains and super pretty so good to wear on uni days too!) and treated myself to lots of stationery today.

Somehow hoping all of my planning will save me. I still have a tonne of pre course tasks to do too.

How casual are uni days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't beleive I'll be starting in 6 days!!!!! Very nervous about work load but I've got my self organised to make sure I work my ass off through the week so I can atleast have a Saturday off with my children. But 9 months of pure stress is what I'm expecting, anything less is a bonus lol. Really hoping I'm in a local school as I specifically told them my childrens nursery opens at 8am so can only have a 30 min bus ride. Just wish I knew which school I was at :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I heard we get free diaries from the unions we sign up to when we start our course?
    Sometimes- they give out various free gifts. I got a Frisbee, bags, a wall calendar, highlighters, pens, pencil cases and post it's, as well as a planner with student advice and lots of leaflets.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a weeks time I will have begun my home placement (EY PGCE)! I still have two weeks until uni starts.

ReputationRep:
    I started my School direct today and had a great day! It was an inset day and we did behaviour management, some planning, and then sorted the classrooms. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm starting my PGCE in the next couple of days! So excited to get stuck in but the nerves are definitely starting to creep in a little! Excited nerves tho!

I'm staying in a hostel for the uni based first few weeks to save the busy hour+ commute, travelling down tomorrow on the train is making me feel like a giddy undergrad again, though I'm sure the long hours and heavy workload will soon knock that out of me!

just can't wait to get on placement! Hoping it won't be too far a commute from where I live

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing secondary English btw. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy_jucie)
    Just wish I knew which school I was at :-/
    I'm so desperate to know which schools I've got, I'm just going to keep asking till they're sick of me and give in haha
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAlwaysWright)
    I'm so desperate to know which schools I've got, I'm just going to keep asking till they're sick of me and give in haha
    Just remember that sometimes these things are only finalised near the last minute so they may not be able to tell you where you'll be when you want to know

ReputationRep:
    Stupid questions, but do you sign up for the unions online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't start until 15th, but I'm already nervous. I'm starting a pre-course placement on Wednesday.

Good luck to those starting soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    Stupid questions, but do you sign up for the unions online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They usually bring stalls and get you to sign up near the start of the course- that's when you get the freebies. But if not (maybe if you're on a small course) or if you'd rather I think you can do it online or over the phone.

You can get a student membership with all three teaching unions for free, then decide next year which one you want to stay with.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Sometimes- they give out various free gifts. I got a FrisbeePosted from TSR Mobile
    Frisbee!?My reaction if I were to be handed a free frisbee...

Name:  6a00e5500c77218833019afff0ee10970b-800wi.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  57.9 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.