Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    This post makes me very relieved, thank you!
    To be fair, I only went to one black tie event during the whole of my first year, so you may find you'll be wanting a second dress sooner than I did! I missed out on several cocktail-dress-wearing opportunities in first year because I convinced myself that I didn't have time and would need to spend even more time doing tute work that evening. I would advise against this mentality...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    :eek3:

I wish it was now!! All my friends are at uni now and they keep plastering it all over facebook...

I haven't even done any uni shopping yet
    I'm not even back in the country yet. :p:

(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    You mean you WON'T????? :confused:
    No, it'll be out of men's bras. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    I will most certainly remember that and hold him too it
    Oh, by all means do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    Oh, by all means do!
    The fact you I mean...he is a history student just makes it even better. :cool:

What module is he doing for British History, by the way? and is he part of the history freshers Facebook group?

this is getting confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been repeatedly asked by their friends whether Oxford students get a freshers' week?

It's crazy the weird perception that Oxford gets from others - and when I assure them that, yes, we do have a freshers' week the response is normally, "What, like...chess tournaments?":facepalm:
    Liar! We don't have a Freshers WEEK! We have a Freshers 1 1/2 days, with work set on Tuesday!!! <Still bitter>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fang_RedDragon)
    Liar! We don't have a Freshers WEEK! We have a Freshers 1 1/2 days, with work set on Tuesday!!! &lt;Still bitter&gt;
    'Work set' is not equal to 'work'. Merton seem to have around five days of freshers' week, which work set in the middle, then by the weekend people get down to actually doing some of the work, notwithstanding the bop on Saturday night. I've heard the tabs have it much worse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    From Oxford physicists: http://jpc.sourceforge.net/mario.html (click demos at the top to see some more)

ReputationRep:
    The fact you I mean...he is a history student just makes it even better. :cool:

What module is he doing for British History, by the way? and is he part of the history freshers Facebook group?

this is getting confusing.

It's okay, we can drop the facade

I don't actually have Facebook, so no.
    And nor am I doing a British History module.
    I lied a little, I'm not doing History, I'm doing Ancient & Modern History so the British module in Year One is replaced by an Ancient History module; in which I'm doing Rome.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, we can drop the facade

I don't actually have Facebook, so no.
    And nor am I doing a British History module.
    I lied a little, I'm not doing History, I'm doing Ancient & Modern History so the British module in Year One is replaced by an Ancient History module; in which I'm doing Rome.
    You're so awkward
    What does the 'Rome' module encompass?

ReputationRep:
    12 days :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    You mean you WON'T????? :confused:
    Do I look like Nero?

ReputationRep:
    I'm back in the UK now... totally looking forward to doing some uni shopping!

ReputationRep:
    C'mon Oxford, let me know about the bursary!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    C'mon Oxford, let me know about the bursary!!!
    This, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I'm back in the UK now... totally looking forward to doing some uni shopping!
    TESCO's, Clas Ohlson, IKEA. Rock it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamF1992)
    This, please.
    I just need to get the bursary sorted and then get a suit and I'm ready!

I wish they would hurry up

ReputationRep:
    You're so awkward
    What does the 'Rome' module encompass?
    I'm not awkward, I'm exciting and unpredictable.
    Lolno I'm just awkward.

The Rome module is dead interesting. It's 3rd and 2nd Centuries BC, or thereabouts and covers some of the Punic Wars, Roman involvement in the Greek/Hellenistic world and the development of the Roman political system. I've done some Reading on the Hellenistic Kingdoms as background, which has been REALLY interesting and I've been told to get familiar with some Polybius and Livy texts.
    I've never studied anything pre-1530 in academic depth (my knowledge of Romam history was based on several fairly light narrative histories, one 'proper' book I read years ago and Rome: Total War on the PC...) so it's a bit daunting but very rewarding!

What about you, you conventional and unawkward historian? Which British module are you doing?

(I apologise for any potential spelling/grammar mistakes, this was typed quickly on my iPhone!!)

ReputationRep:
    Lolno I'm just awkward.

The Rome module is dead interesting. It's 3rd and 2nd Centuries BC, or thereabouts and covers some of the Punic Wars, Roman involvement in the Greek/Hellenistic world and the development of the Roman political system. I've done some Reading on the Hellenistic Kingdoms as background, which has been REALLY interesting and I've been told to get familiar with some Polybius and Livy texts.
    I've never studied anything pre-1530 in academic depth (my knowledge of Romam history was based on several fairly light narrative histories, one 'proper' book I read years ago and Rome: Total War on the PC...) so it's a bit daunting but very rewarding!

What about you, you conventional and unawkward historian? Which British module are you doing?

(I apologise for any potential spelling/grammar mistakes, this was typed quickly on my iPhone!!)
    How useful would watching Gladiator be? Like REALLY watching it, over and over again. I bet that would just about get you a 2.2.

ReputationRep:
    Lolno I'm just awkward.

Awkward is the best way to be I know very little about Rome/the Romans except what I've inevitably picked up from living basically on Hadrian's Wall...which is embarrassingly little. We did coursework for GCSE on Roman Forts on the Wall (Vindolanda and Housesteads ftw), and I've done quite a bit of work experience in another Roman site museum...yup, but nothing about accctual Rome haha. Although I did read a book on the Fall of Rome the other week it was really *****y.

Ahh, total war, some of my friends are OBSESSED with that game. We once had a debate club (cool, I know) debate about whether it should be banned...although the team doing the definition ruined it by defining total war as, er, actual total war.

I assure you I'm anything but conventional and unawkward, but the simple answer to your question is Brit III, 1330-1550. I haven't PROPERLY done anything pre 1850 since GCSE, so it should be a welcome change, and I really do love the Tudors :love:

(Original post by deFossard)
    How useful would watching Gladiator be? Like REALLY watching it, over and over again. I bet that would just about get you a 2.2.
    :ahee:

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today", darrrn.

ReputationRep:
    Awkward is the best way to be I know very little about Rome/the Romans except what I've inevitably picked up from living basically on Hadrian's Wall...which is embarrassingly little. We did coursework for GCSE on Roman Forts on the Wall (Vindolanda and Housesteads ftw), and I've done quite a bit of work experience in another Roman site museum...yup, but nothing about accctual Rome haha. Although I did read a book on the Fall of Rome the other week it was really *****y.

Ahh, total war, some of my friends are OBSESSED with that game. We once had a debate club (cool, I know) debate about whether it should be banned...although the team doing the definition ruined it by defining total war as, er, actual total war.

I assure you I'm anything but conventional and unawkward, but the simple answer to your question is Brit III, 1330-1550. I haven't PROPERLY done anything pre 1850 since GCSE, so it should be a welcome change, and I really do love the Tudors :love:

:ahee:

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today", darrrn.
    It's seems like you know a little more than you're giving yourself credit for, here!
    I've always had this strong passive/casual interest in Roman history, but this is the first time I've really been able to get my teeth into it. It's very nice!

Hm, actual Total War is probably a bad thing but if anybody tried to ban the Total War games, I'd probably declare war on them. They could call it the Ironic War?
    Besides, I think TW is surprisingly informative. I read chapter about the structure of the Roman army and I just knew it all already because of Total War!

I used to love the Tudors too, but doing them at both AS and A2 kinda beat it out of me XD

(As for Gladiator, it's far too late in the Roman timeline to be useful to me!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.