Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahdlc)
    The Spanish was harder for me, but I think that's because I'm stronger in French as I've been studying it for longer. The last translation was really strange, and I was convinced I'd got it wrong because I wrote about crocodiles, but I checked it at home and it was right!
    wow, why would they ask you about crocodiles? or "cocodrilos" as I should say XD That would be really hard to guess if you didn't know the noun. Well done in getting it right!

I found the French hardest, as I have only studied it for two-three years now :/ I guess there were some random phrases in the french as well, such as the broken down car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)

for a pessimist, you're pretty optimistic? :giggle:
    Yep. That's me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nearly at 4000 posts... oh dear. We're a third of the way to MKIII

ReputationRep:
    It's not that everyone's ideal is being the same thing: it is that there is an ideal form of everything out there, and that humans are constantly striving for it but never actually reaching it.

For example, a well-constructed table is supposedly 'perfect' in our world but Plato would say that, in fact, there is a better one one there, an ideal form of a table... Another more sensical argument would be his argument for geometry (drawing from Pythagoras)
    Hmmm okay. But if we will never reach it, it's not out there...

What's his argument for geometry?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I don't remember But I think he was for science and geometry as being 'perfect'. He also used perfect squares as an example, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Haha, you know it's Liesl who leans in seductively
    (8) Better beware, be canny and careful, baby you're on the breeze (8)

Aha, but it's true! Maybe... :blush:

in the innocent way?
    I know, I'm just giving you hints

(8)Totally unprepared are you, to face a world of men (8)

Yes, in the innocent way... (mostly). How many pages have you written on?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm okay. But if we will never reach it, it's not out there...

That's why he argues it only exists in the mind of the creator, and everything else is just an imitation.

I second that question.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember But I think he was for science and geometry as being 'perfect'. He also used perfect squares as an example, I think
    My college's centre number is a prime (I don't know if you have centre numbers in Canada... so that may not make sense to you). It's a twin prime too. And an irregular prime (whatever that means) according to Wolfram Alpha.

So, did he believe we haven't found perfect geometry and algebra, and are still striving for the perfect form of it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My college's centre number is a prime (I don't know if you have centre numbers in Canada... so that may not make sense to you). It's a twin prime too. And an irregular prime (whatever that means) according to Wolfram Alpha.

So, did he believe we haven't found perfect geometry and algebra, and are still striving for the perfect form of it?
    Oh we have centre numbers too... mine is CA009... I don't understand the logic of it as we supposedly only have two centres in Canada.

:iiam:

Wolfram Alpha :woo:

And I can't remember, ask BNE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Ah maybs i just wasn't clear

Plato is one weird cookie. I mean, what with the cave, his forms, slavery, and philosophy kings :fuhrer:

You learn about him in Greek/Latin/Class Civ?
    nah just by reading

but most classics degrees (and all the ones I've applied to) include philo modules :woo: :woo: :woo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    nah just by reading

but most classics degrees (and all the ones I've applied to) include philo modules :woo: :woo: :woo:
    :eek: you've read him in Greek then?

I am jealous

ReputationRep:
    A perfect form of cheese? :rolleyes:

That idea doesn't particularly appeal to me, diversity is the spice of life... (or maybe I'm missing the point)
    Plato would say there is :sexface:

It's not an idea I agree with tbh :ninja: Aristotle criticises it heavily, and he was Plato's student.

Mmm we are....
    indeed

ReputationRep:
    Wolfram Alpha :woo:
    More like :party:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Plato would say there is :sexface:

It's not an idea I agree with tbh :ninja: Aristotle criticises it heavily, and he was Plato's student.
    Aristotle is stupid. :|

Or at least some of his views were highly sexist (e.g. women cannot reason and thus they must be dominated by men, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    :eek: you've read him in Greek then?

I am jealous
    Mainly in English translation (though I have some read some extracts in Greek), though I was given a Loeb edition of Thaeatus and Sophist (in Greek) at UNIQ which I keep meaning to get round to reading.....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mainly in English translation (though I have some read some extracts in Greek), though I was given a Loeb edition of Thaeatus and Sophist (in Greek) at UNIQ which I keep meaning to get round to reading.....
    Ooh. That sounds interesting...

ReputationRep:

Or at least some of his views were highly sexist (e.g. reason)
    Yeah I know, he's terrible about women :rofl:

I'm currently reading the Metaphysics, which is rather more abstract though

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I wish Wolfram Alpha was around when I did Maths :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I know, he's terrible about women :rofl:

I'm currently reading the Metaphysics, which is rather more abstract though
    Hm, interesting. How do you feel about metaphysics in general? I have some classmates who hate it with a passion, but I'm just indifferent

ReputationRep:
    Don't mock Aristotle:naughty:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.