Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed that. I hated the trailer and was all set for a filler episode to sit through while waiting for the good stuff later - but actually I thought they did a really good job of it. They didn't take it seriously, which was definitely the right thing to do. Good old camp humour.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    :hand: Leicester is superior, besides, robin hood was from Sheffield.
    Stop trying to steal him away :huff: He's known for doing his thing in Notts, so w/e
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bubble999)
    Stop trying to steal him away :huff: He's known for doing his thing in Notts, so w/e
    Leics is better, deal with it :smug:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Leics is better, deal with it :smug:
    Oh, did someone say something? Thought that shadowdweller had left TSR :mmm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bubble999)
    Oh, did someone say something? Thought that shadowdweller had left TSR :mmm:
    Haha

But well played :fluffy:

ReputationRep:
    How did Capaldi and Robin Hood break out of their chains?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alpen)
    How did Capaldi and Robin Hood break out of their chains?
    They went to a blacksmiths forge.

ReputationRep:
    They went to a blacksmiths forge.
    yeah didn't expect there to be a logical explanation :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alpen)
    yeah didn't expect there to be a logical explanation :lol:
    That is a logical explanation - you can use the forge to break the handcuffs.

ReputationRep:
    That is a logical explanation - you can use the forge to break the handcuffs.
    Yeah whilst they were chained up they somehow got to a blacksmith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Yeah whilst they were chained up they somehow got to a blacksmith
    They carried the block they were attached to and took it to the forge where they were able to break the chains. Perfectly logical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    They carried the block they were attached to and took it to the forge where they were able to break the chains. Perfectly logical.
    thought they were chained into the ground, my bad
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Haha

But well played :fluffy:
    Lols

As always

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.
    Oh yeah, I hated that bit with Clara. She had to stand there for a little while for them to finish their arguing in her pose before she could do that thing with her hands and leave. I thought that bit was poorly done.

(Original post by paddyman4)
    Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.
    Dammit! Your ending sounds better While watching it, I was pretty sure though he was a robot and I didn't want him to be because he was so hurt by it, but then at the end it was a bit "hmph". I thought it was a bit disappointing.
    I did find bits of his and the doctor's arguing funny, but it did go on a bit.

I CAN'T WAIT till the next episode! It looks so good! The dark ones are much more fun to watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildInDisguise)
    Oh yeah, I hated that bit with Clara. She had to stand there for a little while for them to finish their arguing in her pose before she could do that thing with her hands and leave. I thought that bit was poorly done.
    yeah, it's part of the whole stupid Moffat thing where the women always have to be seen as helpless/inferior, which pisses me off no end cause it can ruin otherwise very good episodes or parts of the plot.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it's part of the whole stupid Moffat thing where the women always have to be seen as helpless/inferior, which pisses me off no end cause it can ruin otherwise very good episodes or parts of the plot.
    I wouldn't say she was inferior. She does tell them to shut up and she did tell off the Sheriff of Nottingham to stay away from her. But yeah, she doesn't really do anything. The doctor and Robin did. She followed them around.

I remember the opening with Billie Piper, and her swooping down on a rope and kicking butt. That was awesome.

On a side note, does anyone think Clara's accent changes slightly? It really annoys me. Sometimes she sounds a bit like she's pronouncing the words more and other times she's like "shu' up".

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say she was inferior. She does tell them to shut up and she did tell off the Sheriff of Nottingham to stay away from her. But yeah, she doesn't really do anything. The doctor and Robin did. She followed them around.

I remember the opening with Billie Piper, and her swooping down on a rope and kicking butt. That was awesome.

On a side note, does anyone think Clara's accent changes slightly? It really annoys me. Sometimes she sounds a bit like she's pronouncing the words more and other times she's like "shu' up".

:rofl:
    I don't mean this episode in particular, but more of a general point about how a lot of the female characters can be portrayed at times.

yeah, RTD was much better at writing strong female characters, though ironically in between Rose & Donna we had the awfully written Martha, which showed even he gets it wrong. (all this is just my opinion of course, but yeah )

I think she tries to sound clearer in different situations, though it doesn't bother me much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean this episode in particular, but more of a general point about how a lot of the female characters can be portrayed at times.

yeah, RTD was much better at writing strong female characters, though ironically in between Rose & Donna we had the awfully written Martha, which showed even he gets it wrong. (all this is just my opinion of course, but yeah )

I think she tries to sound clearer in different situations, though it doesn't bother me much tbh.
    Ahh, yeah that's true. And yeah I agree with Billie Piper's character, definitely. I liked Martha but I felt so bad for her! He just ignored her basically and would talk about Rose while she'd longingly look into his eyes and wonder what it was like to be wanted. :bawling:

He definitely went wrong with her. She should have been a stronger character. In the end though, I think she redeemed herself by choosing to leave him. And then she married Micky!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, yeah that's true. And yeah I agree with Billie Piper's character, definitely. I liked Martha but I felt so bad for her! He just ignored her basically and would talk about Rose while she'd longingly look into his eyes and wonder what it was like to be wanted. :bawling:

He definitely went wrong with her. She should have been a stronger character. In the end though, I think she redeemed herself by choosing to leave him. And then she married Micky!
    with Martha I just found her annoying at times, all she did for a lot of the time was stand back or get in trouble, she felt like she was there for the sake of being there rather than being an active companion in the way the others were, even Amy Pond was more of a pro-active character imo.

I think that both writers have done some really good/interesting plots, though since Moffat took over it's been a lot more hit & miss in terms of quality. some are outstanding, others are meh.

ReputationRep:
    with Martha I just found her annoying at times, all she did for a lot of the time was stand back or get in trouble, she felt like she was there for the sake of being there rather than being an active companion in the way the others were, even Amy Pond was more of a pro-active character imo.

I think that both writers have done some really good/interesting plots, though since Moffat took over it's been a lot more hit & miss in terms of quality. some are outstanding, others are meh.
    Ohhh, yeah that's true. Did you like her in the end? I hated her at the beginning because I wanted Tennant with Piper so I was still bitter at the end aha, but I did end up really liking Martha
    Yeah she was like that, but I guess he was just showing different personalities. He might have wanted a contrast. Rose was a very strong character, so he didn't want a copy of her. And he did show Martha develop. She ended up taking her own initiative and leaving the Doctor, before joining UNIT. I liked the ending scene with her and Micky because they were fighting together, as equals. It might of been his way of saying sorry for having her be annoying at the beginning

And yeah I agree. I haven't really liked Moffat's to be honest. I still miss the old ones.
    It's weird though because I completely adore Sherlock. I'm surprised it's that good, especially compared to his Doctor Who episodes :dry:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.