The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
Original post by alpen
Yeah whilst they were chained up they somehow got to a blacksmith

They carried the block they were attached to and took it to the forge where they were able to break the chains. Perfectly logical.
Reply 3741
Original post by Aula
They carried the block they were attached to and took it to the forge where they were able to break the chains. Perfectly logical.

thought they were chained into the ground, my bad
Original post by shadowdweller
Haha :colonhash:

But well played :fluffy:

Lols :colonhash:

As always :u:
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.

Oh yeah, I hated that bit with Clara. She had to stand there for a little while for them to finish their arguing in her pose before she could do that thing with her hands and leave. I thought that bit was poorly done.

Original post by paddyman4
Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.

Dammit! Your ending sounds better :frown: While watching it, I was pretty sure though he was a robot and I didn't want him to be because he was so hurt by it, but then at the end it was a bit "hmph". I thought it was a bit disappointing.
I did find bits of his and the doctor's arguing funny, but it did go on a bit.

I CAN'T WAIT till the next episode! It looks so good! The dark ones are much more fun to watch :smile:
Original post by ChildInDisguise
Oh yeah, I hated that bit with Clara. She had to stand there for a little while for them to finish their arguing in her pose before she could do that thing with her hands and leave. I thought that bit was poorly done.

yeah, it's part of the whole stupid Moffat thing where the women always have to be seen as helpless/inferior, which pisses me off no end cause it can ruin otherwise very good episodes or parts of the plot.
yeah, it's part of the whole stupid Moffat thing where the women always have to be seen as helpless/inferior, which pisses me off no end cause it can ruin otherwise very good episodes or parts of the plot.

I wouldn't say she was inferior. She does tell them to shut up and she did tell off the Sheriff of Nottingham to stay away from her. But yeah, she doesn't really do anything. The doctor and Robin did. She followed them around.

I remember the opening with Billie Piper, and her swooping down on a rope and kicking butt. That was awesome.

On a side note, does anyone think Clara's accent changes slightly? It really annoys me. Sometimes she sounds a bit like she's pronouncing the words more and other times she's like "shu' up". :colonhash:

:rofl:
I wouldn't say she was inferior. She does tell them to shut up and she did tell off the Sheriff of Nottingham to stay away from her. But yeah, she doesn't really do anything. The doctor and Robin did. She followed them around.

I remember the opening with Billie Piper, and her swooping down on a rope and kicking butt. That was awesome.

On a side note, does anyone think Clara's accent changes slightly? It really annoys me. Sometimes she sounds a bit like she's pronouncing the words more and other times she's like "shu' up". :colonhash:

:rofl:

I don't mean this episode in particular, but more of a general point about how a lot of the female characters can be portrayed at times.

yeah, RTD was much better at writing strong female characters, though ironically in between Rose & Donna we had the awfully written Martha, which showed even he gets it wrong. (all this is just my opinion of course, but yeah :tongue:)

I think she tries to sound clearer in different situations, though it doesn't bother me much tbh.
I don't mean this episode in particular, but more of a general point about how a lot of the female characters can be portrayed at times.

yeah, RTD was much better at writing strong female characters, though ironically in between Rose & Donna we had the awfully written Martha, which showed even he gets it wrong. (all this is just my opinion of course, but yeah :tongue:)

I think she tries to sound clearer in different situations, though it doesn't bother me much tbh.

Ahh, yeah that's true. And yeah I agree with Billie Piper's character, definitely. I liked Martha but I felt so bad for her! He just ignored her basically and would talk about Rose while she'd longingly look into his eyes and wonder what it was like to be wanted. :bawling:

He definitely went wrong with her. She should have been a stronger character. In the end though, I think she redeemed herself by choosing to leave him. And then she married Micky! :h:
Ahh, yeah that's true. And yeah I agree with Billie Piper's character, definitely. I liked Martha but I felt so bad for her! He just ignored her basically and would talk about Rose while she'd longingly look into his eyes and wonder what it was like to be wanted. :bawling:

He definitely went wrong with her. She should have been a stronger character. In the end though, I think she redeemed herself by choosing to leave him. And then she married Micky! :h:

with Martha I just found her annoying at times, all she did for a lot of the time was stand back or get in trouble, she felt like she was there for the sake of being there rather than being an active companion in the way the others were, even Amy Pond was more of a pro-active character imo.

I think that both writers have done some really good/interesting plots, though since Moffat took over it's been a lot more hit & miss in terms of quality. some are outstanding, others are meh.
with Martha I just found her annoying at times, all she did for a lot of the time was stand back or get in trouble, she felt like she was there for the sake of being there rather than being an active companion in the way the others were, even Amy Pond was more of a pro-active character imo.

I think that both writers have done some really good/interesting plots, though since Moffat took over it's been a lot more hit & miss in terms of quality. some are outstanding, others are meh.

Ohhh, yeah that's true. Did you like her in the end? I hated her at the beginning because I wanted Tennant with Piper so I was still bitter at the end aha, but I did end up really liking Martha :smile:
Yeah she was like that, but I guess he was just showing different personalities. He might have wanted a contrast. Rose was a very strong character, so he didn't want a copy of her. And he did show Martha develop. She ended up taking her own initiative and leaving the Doctor, before joining UNIT. I liked the ending scene with her and Micky because they were fighting together, as equals. It might of been his way of saying sorry for having her be annoying at the beginning :h:

And yeah I agree. I haven't really liked Moffat's to be honest. I still miss the old ones.
It's weird though because I completely adore Sherlock. I'm surprised it's that good, especially compared to his Doctor Who episodes :dry:
Original post by getfunky!
That was one of the best episodes I've seen, better than most of series 7 and so far of series 8 :biggrin: Really enjoyed an actual adventure rather than brooding about, reminds me of series 5, especially the Vampires of Venice episode.

Mark Gatiss can write brilliant episodes:congrats:

Totally agree. It was fun, witty and featured possibly the best version of the Sheriff Of Nottingham ever.

Of course, the 'Doctor Who should be serious' police are out in force again.....
Original post by bubble999
Loved tonight's episode. Then again, I'm bias as Nottingham is the best place :mmm:

God no. It really isn't. Far from it. I went there on holiday two week's ago and it's, in my opinion, rubbish. Not enough to do.
Original post by Unibuster325
God no. It really isn't. Far from it. I went there on holiday two week's ago and it's, in my opinion, rubbish. Not enough to do.

Depends where you go, and obviously your knowledge of the area :smile:
Original post by bubble999
Depends where you go, and obviously your knowledge of the area :smile:

There's hardly anything to do with Torvill and Dean and no Nottingham lace. And the only Robin Hood attraction is Sherwood Forest(unless you count Nottingham Castle)!

I certainly will not be going there on holiday again. There's nothing for tourists such as myself when I visited at all. Not even more than one gift shop.

I could think of many ways to improve it from what I saw, the most obvious being 'open a Torvill and Dean/Dancing On Ice Experience'. This could be full of costumes and props used by both the show and Torvill and Dean pre-Dancing On Ice.
Loved IT!!!!!!!!! :woo:

:party:
Original post by wrexhamfc
Last week's episode was much better, nothing that happened in this episode moved me. I don't think we learned much about the Doctor from this episode at all (save that he's stubbornly attached to his preconceptions, but we knew that much already). Also, how did the Doctor get his screwdriver back?

Did you not know that Sonic Screwdriver's= Tardis poo?

In Matt Smith's first episode, he gets his new one from the newly designed Tardis console. It was just sticking out and left a hole. Therefore they are Tardis poo.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Did you not know that Sonic Screwdriver's= Tardis poo?

In Matt Smith's first episode, he gets his new one from the newly designed Tardis console. It was just sticking out and left a hole. Therefore they are Tardis poo.

By that logic they could also be Tardis babies!
People saying this linked to the fires of Pompeii. Didn't see it, proberly because I don't remember that episode too much.

Where were the links?

Thought thatw as the worst episode so far tbh.

Still loving Capaldi. Still disliking Clara.
Reply 3758
Original post by KingStannis
People saying this linked to the fires of Pompeii. Didn't see it, proberly because I don't remember that episode too much.

Where were the links?

Thought thatw as the worst episode so far tbh.

Still loving Capaldi. Still disliking Clara.

Pretty much this, Clara is not it mane
Original post by Feefifofum
By that logic they could also be Tardis babies!

Touché :pierre:

Quick Reply

Latest