Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    For the time being, I'm taking a backseat. I want to see how much time I can dedicate to this, plus I also want to let Ray have a bit of space.
    Sounds sensible Good to know Labour can fill their seats with room to spare though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Warmest congratulations to The Legal Eagle! I look forward to working with the new Deputy Leader
    Thank you. :-)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by meenu89)
    There was a time when I knew just about all the Labour Party members, not these though.
    Don't worry, there's plenty of time to get to know us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To mirror a question by Andrew Neil earlier.. Are you ashamed of what the RL party is doing with regards to immigration?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    To mirror a question by Andrew Neil earlier.. Are you ashamed of what the RL party is doing with regards to immigration?
    No, I'm quite happy with the general policy on immigration and don't feel the need to tighten immigration law up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by O133)
    No, I'm quite happy with the general policy on immigration and don't feel the need to tighten immigration law up.
    It was in relation to the Rachel Reeves announcements going even further than the Tories.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It was in relation to the Rachel Reeves announcements going even further than the Tories.
    OK, shows I'm behind on the news. Absolutely shameful then - Reeves not sounding like the best person to have in the shadow cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what people in this Labour Party think of Miliband? Personally I would vote Labour at the next GE if they got rid of him and I know many others would too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I would like to know what people in this Labour Party think of Miliband? Personally I would vote Labour at the next GE if they got rid of him and I know many others would too.
    Not as awful as people seem to make out, but not the best we can do. Yvette Cooper would be my choice but I'm not sure she's much more popular.

At the GE I'm stuck between Labour, Lib Dems and Greens (if they run here).

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My real life partisanship means I must support him, and chant propaganda such as "policies not personalities". Personally, I think he's got potential, but I'd like to see a change of leadership. Who? 1) Douglas Alexander 2) John Prescott 3) Chris Bryant 4) Rachel Reeves 5) Sadiq Khan 6) Ed Balls 7) Harriet Harman.

When I'm out canvassing and campaigning on the doorstep, he's a problem. I've even had a handful of life-long Labour members (joined in their teens, now 70+) who have cancelled their subscription to the party, because of him. Shame, really. Tory austerity measures hasn't worked, the economy is still dribbling, yet millionaires are getting tax cuts. This will be the most important general for many decades, and we've got a leader with as much charisma as Michael Foot. He needs to go for us to win - it's what the bigger man would do. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Legal Eagle)
    My real life partisanship means I must support him, and chant propaganda such as "policies not personalities". Personally, I think he's got potential, but I'd like to see a change of leadership. Who? 1) Douglas Alexander 2) John Prescott 3) Chris Bryant 4) Rachel Reeves 5) Sadiq Khan 6) Ed Balls 7) Harriet Harman.

When I'm out canvassing and campaigning on the doorstep, he's a problem. I've even had a handful of life-long Labour members (joined in their teens, now 70+) who have cancelled their subscription to the party, because of him. Shame, really. Tory austerity measures hasn't worked, the economy is still dribbling, yet millionaires are getting tax cuts. This will be the most important general for many decades, and we've got a leader with as much charisma as Michael Foot. He needs to go for us to win - it's what the bigger man would do. Period.

Out of interest, what do you think of Andy Burnham? I read one interesting article here in the Independent arguing that after White Van Man-gate he's got a good chance as a more working class-esque character, but I don't know what kind of reaction he gets on your doorsteps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Not as awful as people seem to make out, but not the best we can do. Yvette Cooper would be my choice but I'm not sure she's much more popular.

At the GE I'm stuck between Labour, Lib Dems and Greens (if they run here).
    I'm in a similar situation to you, but I feel a vote on the Lib Dems is a bit of a lost cause unless they're big in your constituency. Most likely my constituency is going Purple next year (it's right next to Nigel's seat) so my vote means nothing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm in a similar situation to you, but I feel a vote on the Lib Dems is a bit of a lost cause unless they're big in your constituency. Most likely my constituency is going Purple next year (it's right next to Nigel's seat) so my vote means nothing really.
    I'm in Montgomeryshire so who knows. It's somehow gone from a safe Lib Dem seat to a safe Tory seat in the space of 5 years.

ReputationRep:

I'm going to probably be joining the Youth Labour Party for the next election and I'm seriously concerned with Miliband. He seems like he can't make decent speeches and show charismatic authority to people (something which the Tories I think are quite renowned for - image), and seems to be taking the Labour Party further to the left of the spectrum (I'm a bit of a Blairite/Thatcherite myself). I would fully support Douglas getting in charge, I think Labour need a major shake-up in leadership from the riot feminist-Harman to Milibland (who seems inept at forming his policies - despite the election being in 6 months) and to start taking up the immigration issue more seriously. Labour are losing votes from the working class themselves (for UKIP), and they are not really addressing this (which I feel is a shame).
    I think Tory economic policy is good in areas (in essence the economy is on the up) but they do seem heartless in the way they present their plans to many.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I'm in Montgomeryshire so who knows. It's somehow gone from a safe Lib Dem seat to a safe Tory seat in the space of 5 years.
    Wales is quite the battleground for seats I think, seems to be a lot of swinging. What do you think of Plaid Cymru? (I heard they made a deal with the greens to not contest some seats in Wales).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wales is quite the battleground for seats I think, seems to be a lot of swinging. What do you think of Plaid Cymru? (I heard they made a deal with the greens to not contest some seats in Wales).
    I'm not keen on Plaid - mostly because of their attitude to the Welsh language. I'm hoping Monty isn't one of those seats though; having said that neither party would have any hope - it's going to be comfortably Tory and I'm not sure we can handle another eccentric after 3 terms of Lembit Opik (and the current AM Russell George who is apparently slightly odd too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I'm not keen on Plaid - mostly because of their attitude to the Welsh language. I'm hoping Monty isn't one of those seats though; having said that neither party would have any hope - it's going to be comfortably Tory and I'm not sure we can handle another eccentric after 3 terms of Lembit Opik (and the current AM Russell George who is apparently slightly odd too).
    Well.. I wish you good luck in fighting the endless battle against the Tories I swear if they get in again they'll rip the UK apart like they nearly did this year and during their last 4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well.. I wish you good luck in fighting the endless battle against the Tories I swear if they get in again they'll rip the UK apart like they nearly did this year and during their last 4 years.
    I will be considering whether I want to stay in this country beyond university (which will almost take us up to the next term mind).

ReputationRep:
    1) Alexander is a wet fish. He would out-Miliband Miliband. If Miliband hasn't the gravitas to be PM, neither does Alexander.
    2) Prescott's obviously long gone.
    3) Not someone I know enough about to cast judgement.
    4) Reeves is probably my least favourite Labour front-bencher.
    5) Agreed. Big fan of his.
    6) He would suffer from similar presentational issues as Miliband. I think he'd do a great job personally.
    7) Relic of the past. Time for her to go.

My list, in order, would be:

1) Sadiq Khan
    2) Stella Creasy
    3) Alan Johnson (I'm acutely aware this won't ever be the case)
    4) Yvette Cooper
    5) David Miliband
    6) Andy Burnham
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't stand Sadiq myself. If Labour were to tempt me (i would have actually voted Blair in 01) then i think you'd need to be looking at Chucka or Hunt. I did like Murphy and David Miliband.

If they wanted to be led by somebody on the left then Burnham would do better than Miliband although i still think even somebody as soft-left as Ed would lose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.