Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Halep and Bouchard both out... What a difference a year makes :/
    Womens tennis is extremely unpredictable. I give respect to anyone who can predict womens tennis matches with any reasonable degree of consistency and accuracy. Strong favourites will randomly and unexpectedly lose in straight sets. Only Serena Williams has any consistency in the womens game, but even she is prone to a shock loss.

On paper, a lot of the female players should perform well. But when you look at their Grand Slam record, it tells a different story. Sharapova for example only has 5 Grand Slam titles and regularly gets knocked out before the quarter finals. With her talent, she should have easily captured 10+ Grand Slams by now. Petra Kvitova is another woman who has way under-performed for her talent.

If you compare that to mens tennis, the favourites and higher ranked players generally make it to the latter stages of tournaments. You can almost always count on guys like Djokovic, Murray and Nadal to make it to at least the quarters or semis of tournaments. They almost never have random off days where they lose to rank outsiders.

My theory is twofold:

1. Women have to deal with PMS, periods, hormonal changes, mood swings each month and this can have a temperamental effect on their game.

2. The early money and fame gets to the heads of women. They can get by earning millions of $$$ just by doing magazine shoots and flaunting their bodies, not for their tennis playing abilities. This causes most of them to waste the talent they have. Someone like Laura Robson probably has millions of $$$ in the bank already - there is just no incentive for her to try and win any big tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Halep and Bouchard both out... What a difference a year makes :/
    Happy that Bouchard lost early again but very sad for Halep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Womens tennis is extremely unpredictable. I give respect to anyone who can predict womens tennis matches with any reasonable degree of consistency and accuracy. Strong favourites will randomly and unexpectedly lose in straight sets. Only Serena Williams has any consistency in the womens game, but even she is prone to a shock loss.

On paper, a lot of the female players should perform well. But when you look at their Grand Slam record, it tells a different story. Sharapova for example only has 5 Grand Slam titles and regularly gets knocked out before the quarter finals. With her talent, she should have easily captured 10+ Grand Slams by now. Petra Kvitova is another woman who has way under-performed for her talent.

If you compare that to mens tennis, the favourites and higher ranked players generally make it to the latter stages of tournaments. You can almost always count on guys like Djokovic, Murray and Nadal to make it to at least the quarters or semis of tournaments. They almost never have random off days where they lose to rank outsiders.

My theory is twofold:

1. Women have to deal with PMS, periods, hormonal changes, mood swings each month and this can have a temperamental effect on their game.

2. The early money and fame gets to the heads of women. They can get by earning millions of $$$ just by doing magazine shoots and flaunting their bodies, not for their tennis playing abilities. This causes most of them to waste the talent they have. Someone like Laura Robson probably has millions of $$$ in the bank already - there is just no incentive for her to try and win any big tournament.
    The first half of your comment I agree with wholeheartedly but the second... not so much.

Women in all sports suffer with PMS etc and yet manage to compete at a consistently high level, there's medication for stuff like that so shouldn't be a reason for losing matches, if a player's smart they'll take such things into account.

With regards to women being distracted by magazine shoots etc that shouldn't be a reason why the women's game is more unpredictable than the men's. Many of the top men's player have also participated in shoots, Wawrinka's fresh of a naked shoot and Nadal's modelled underwear for Armani, to name just a few instances, so again magazine shoots aren't that relevant.

It probably has more to do with the fact that there's a big 4 in the men's game that have been consistent for years in the big tournaments whilst no such group exists in the women's game.

ReputationRep:
    Women's sport in general sucks.

Equal prize money is an utter joke.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going tomorrow?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's round one. Plenty of time for Murray to impress yet.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal is far the better player than Federer, as can be seen from the head to head record between the two players. Nadal has basically crushed Federer in all their matches from 2008 onwards. Although both of them are no longer at their peak and will never return to their peak form ever again, Nadal still has a comfortable edge over Federer on all surfaces.

As for who will win Wimbledon, I very much doubt Nadal will. He's way past his best. Federer's days of winning Grand Slams are over. Djokovic is clearly the most likely to win Wimbledon, with Murray far behind him in 2nd.
    That's hilarious, murrays last slam was 2 years ago and Nadal won 2 since.
    When has Murray won a slam having gone thru Federer or Nadal.... NEVER!
    Djokovic fav then probably fed and even the dark horse Stan if he plays like French.
    The guy has beaten them all at slams and won his 2 slams going thru No 1 & 2 seeds in Aus and French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    That's hilarious, murrays last slam was 2 years ago and Nadal won 2 since.
    When has Murray won a slam having gone thru Federer or Nadal.... NEVER!
    Djokovic fav then probably fed and even the dark horse Stan if he plays like French.
    The guy has beaten them all at slams and won his 2 slams going thru No 1 & 2 seeds in Aus and French.
    This was before the draw was out. So yes, now the draw is out, Murray has the worst chance. He potentially has to beat Nadal, Federer and Djokovic to win the title. I'm fairly certain he hasn't beaten 2 of these 3 players in a single grand slam, let alone all 3 of them.

ReputationRep:
    This was before the draw was out. So yes, now the draw is out, Murray has the worst chance. He potentially has to beat Nadal, Federer and Djokovic to win the title. I'm fairly certain he hasn't beaten 2 of these 3 players in a single grand slam, let alone all 3 of them.
    But he's been looking at his very best on grass recently and in this kind of mood the other members of the big four will have to go through hell to beat him. It's still early days, but I fancy Murray to lift his second Wimbledon title, I genuinely don't think Djokovic is as good as him on grass.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Heather Watson targeted by trolls on Twitter after her victory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    But he's been looking at his very best on grass recently and in this kind of mood the other members of the big four will have to go through hell to beat him. It's still early days, but I fancy Murray to lift his second Wimbledon title, I genuinely don't think Djokovic is as good as him on grass.
    When Nadal is at 75% he beats Murray regardless of his form, no psychiatrist will help him there lol.
    It seems everyone has forgotten his last meeting with Rog and Aussie open. Yes he was bagled by Nole and Rog but I bet if it was other way around I'm sure the bbc would remind us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Murray through in straight sets. Haase played some god awful tennis at times, it must be said.

ReputationRep:
    That tweener shot from Federer... :coma:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Watching Troicki and Bedene. Good to see Fed through comfortably, though. The bloke oozes class.

ReputationRep:
    Federer through
    What a game though
    No contest

ReputationRep:
    Lisicki is formidable with that serve and her power. She could easily be top 5 with consistency in her game. If she had turned up against Bartoli in 2013 she would have a grand slam to her name as well.

The women's draw is too unpredictable. Any player in the top 30-40 can beat anyone apart from maybe S Williams, Kvitova and Sharapova.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kvitova and Djokovic are my picks for the female and men's winners respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Brown has quite an unorthodox style of playing, pretty fun to watch though

ReputationRep:
    Brown is great to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Murray and Federer really good today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.