Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Really? I swear the majority of people in med are a minority anyway lol #stereotype
    Asians are a minority in this country but because asians apply the most they are not a minority in that field. You dnt see a lot of somalis doing medicine so if they applied they would consider that you are a minority... a minority not only in the country but in that field.

I would love to have british born people in my class at whichever uni I go to next year inshallah. Soo many ppl I know are sayin that their class has a lot of chinese (mostly) and other international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omg i just sounded racist there.:eek::facepalm: I just meant that I would like to have ppl I have something in common with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzey_97)
    Asians are a minority in this country but because asians apply the most they are not a minority in that field. You dnt see a lot of somalis doing medicine so if they applied they would consider that you are a minority... a minority not only in the country but in that field.

I would love to have british born people in my class at whichever uni I go to next year inshallah. Soo many ppl I know are sayin that their class has a lot of chinese (mostly) and other international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh ok that actually makes sense! Haha don't worry you don't sound racist. Are you applying for medicine? I get what you mean, there are loads of international students in my Uni/course too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok that actually makes sense! Haha don't worry you don't sound racist. Are you applying for medicine? I get what you mean, there are loads of international students in my Uni/course too.
    Medicine? Hell no. Dont want to be a doctor. Civil Engineering is the one for me.
    Like 90 per cent of applicants choose it just because its nice pay and they are really good academically.
    70 per cent are pressured into it.

Them chinese ppl are clever man, they make me feel dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Medicine? Hell no. Dont want to be a doctor. Civil Engineering is the one for me.
    Like 90 per cent of applicants choose it just because its nice pay and they are really good academically.
    70 per cent are pressured into it.

Them chinese ppl are clever man, they make me feel dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You must be very smart!

Walahi they know everything man :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    You must be very smart!

Walahi they know everything man :bawling:
    Thank you. But I really aint. Jus work your damn socks off and everything will be fine.

And they probably haven't heard of the other grades like U and D.
    Them chinese ppl be like ''I thought an A was the lowest grade''

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. But I really aint. Jus work your damn socks off and everything will be fine.

And they probably haven't heard of the other grades like U and D.
    Them chinese ppl be like ''I thought an A was the lowest grade''

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently the names of their graduate children are written with gold leaf ink on the walls of their homes as a reward and motivation for other members of the family.
    I dont know if this is variably true but it sounds incredible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Apparently the names of their graduate children are written with gold leaf ink on the walls of their homes as a reward and motivation for other members of the family.
    I dont know if this is variably true but it sounds incredible.
    Wow :awesome: if it is true that is amazing. Just for chinese students or japanese students too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it true in medicine, they consider the fact that you are a minority? Heard it from a medicine applicant who is somali. Pretty awesome if it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would they know you're Somali? There is only the Black African/ Black British box for us to tick on the UCAS ethnicity form

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good authentic Somali recipes?
    I want to try you guys' food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Does anyone have any good authentic Somali recipes?
    I want to try you guys' food
    try these sites
    http://www.mysomalifood.com/recipes/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SomaliFoodBlog/videos
    http://tammyssomalihome.blogspot.co....bel/Appetizers
    http://tammyssomalihome.blogspot.co..../Somali%20Rice

ReputationRep:
    77 more reps until I'm on 8 rep bars. :cool:

Moving up in the food chain.

ReputationRep:
    JazaakA khair akhi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noura*)
    How would they know you're Somali? There is only the Black African/ Black British box for us to tick on the UCAS ethnicity form
    Balck african is still a minority in the field in the UK therefore somalis are minorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is so biology based. Spent 2 hours in a lecture listening to facts about animal evolution. Do I even care about evolution tho?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noura*)
    What is Somali, if not 'Black African'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Psychology is so biology based. Spent 2 hours in a lecture listening to facts about animal evolution. Do I even care about evolution tho?
    As a Muslim you probably don't.

ReputationRep:
    Looooool Erm maybe you should because that's kind of how nature works

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Looooool Erm maybe you should because that's kind of how nature works

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Soz that i dismiss the very rational (!) fact that we used to be apes.

ReputationRep:
    Soz that i dismiss the very rational (!) fact that we used to be apes.
    The argument is that humans and apes shared a common ancestor.. :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.