Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exeter applicants? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    What do you guys think about this? Found it here: https://www.quora.com/At-which-Oxfor...atharina-Kunze
    I don't think so. With open applications they will fill up the difference between the under and oversubscribed colleges, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have applied to Jesus college to read French and History, how are you preparing for the HAT / MLAT?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about this? Found it here: https://www.quora.com/At-which-Oxfor...atharina-Kunze
    Not really, by having two (or more) interviews at different colleges everyone has the same statistical chance of getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AceAttorney123)
    Hey guys, any LMH applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Not really, by having two (or more) interviews at different colleges everyone has the same statistical chance of getting an offer.
    Does that actually happen? Two people getting interviews at two different places, I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Does that actually happen? Two people getting interviews at two different places, I mean.
    Oh ofc! Everyone gets at least one more interview at another college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    As far as I know, it all happens by chance. I remember reading somewhere that it was made by a computer randomly.
    Really?! I find the idea that any part of Oxford has a computer system that could do that strangely startling...

I am now thinking that it might just be done in a way that those colleges that receive less applications are compesated.
    I think that every college gets at least some open applications- I know of people who were allocated to even the most consistently oversubscribed colleges. There must be some distribution plan as well, if only b/c they can't know exactly how many open apps there will be in any given year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    Really?! I find the idea that any part of Oxford has a computer system that could do that strangely startling...

I think that every college gets at least some open applications- I know of people who were allocated to even the most consistently oversubscribed colleges. There must be some distribution plan as well, if only b/c they can't know exactly how many open apps there will be in any given year.
    I was told by my teacher that ALL applications, regardless of the college of choice are seen on a 'Big List' by all colleges from day one.

The college of choice has first opportunity to interview and offer, but other colleges have the option to review the full application from the start and request an interview if they wish. If the college of choice chooses to not make an offer, anyone else can then swoop in and make one instead.

As for open applications, my teacher said these are randomly assigned (by computer maybe?) to colleges, and then the above process takes place.

However, my school does not send many students to Oxbridge, indeed I have decided not to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and there do seem to be several versions of reality surrounding the Oxbridge application process. Just sayin'.

LYBS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AceAttorney123)
    Hey guys, any LMH applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Ok. Thanks. I don't think my PS or ref are 'bad' so hopefully they won't count against me. What subject have you applied for btw?
    law, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applying2skool)
    Law with French Law! It's nice to meet a fellow Magdalen lawyer hopeful
    I imagine you also got their acknowledgement email this morning.
    Can I ask which subjects you're taking and what your predicted grades are?
    Yes, I finally got an e-mail from them. I am an international student so I believe our grading systems are way too different.
    However, If you are interested, my school leaving exams subjects are: History (in English), Civic education (combination of philosophy, politics and economics), English language and my maternity language. I am predicted to accomplish my school leaving exams on straight As (more precisely it could be seen as A*s). What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmabeth)
    law, what about you?
    History and Politics

ReputationRep:
    Any Brasenose History applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Any Brasenose History applicants?
    right here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    Is anyone else also in that spiral of despair studying for entrance exams and writing essays thinking "man why on earth did I even bother applying" while stuffing their face with chocolate cake ?
    Couldn't have said it better myself...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any Oriel PPEists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awh, good luck ! What are you applying for ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....

ReputationRep:
    Is it good or bad news if you get an interview at a college other than the one youve applied to, in addition to your preferred college? Also, is it possible to get one interview only from a college you haven't applied to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.