Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Yeah you had to feel for the Chelsea fans but more for Terry. But he finally did get his hands on a CL medal so alls good. I wouldnt say we were amazing in Fergie's latter years but from 06-09 we were particularly frightening and mainly due to the counter attacks from Ronaldo and Rooney supplied by Scholes. Also our defence was just amazing. The 09 CL final still ****ing annoys me tbh, we were so close to winning back to back CLs but we came up against one of the greatest club sides ever. 2011 CL final loss was hard to take but i always knew we didnt have much of a chance.

Haha i edited my post because you said last 11 years as a Liverpool supporter and the 99' CL win wasnt in that time period. But yeah must have been so gutting for Bayern. But then again they did lose on thier own backyard to Chelsea in a CL final. That surely must have hurt more.

Ah what a striker from the lad. He even followed it up with another goal the next PL fixture. How far he has fallen since then though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    your ronaldo years specifically were unreal.
    granted you did drop off a little during SAF's last few years (as you mentioned) but you were still winning trophies and that's incredibly annoying :/
    i wonder what it would be like to be a fan of a club that wins trophies?:rolleyes:
    everton lol:cool:

losing to barca in 09' and 11' was nothing you could alter - they were unstoppable.
    was still funny when messi scored a header though

yeah i wasn't totally in to football in 99', i still remember watching parts of the match though but my mum sent me to bed at HT so i missed all the good stuff :L

it's like his only career purpose was to help prevent liverpool winning the premier league
    although to be fair we're pretty good at doing that ourselves...

ReputationRep:
    We were the strongest team in Europe at that time (talking about 08' CL) :moon:. We got lucky with the Terry slip but a penalty shootout is all based on luck anyway. I still remember the heartbreak when Ronaldo missed and then praying that Terry misses.

Apart from our European exploits, we always usually won the league comfortably. Dont see how you can call us the 'luckiest' team in the last 11 years (unless you're joking that is )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So the strongest team in Europe won the league on the last day and the CL in a shoot out because an opposing player slipped in the rain to miss his spot kick which would've given his side the win?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh there was little difference between the United side of 07-09 and the Chelsea side of the time. Fine margins for most seasons but United just had an extra 3 or so points that SAF or Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez could pull out of the team. Chelsea obviously just focused on the cups which is why our cup record basically matches Uniteds league record at the time.

No team from about 2006(Don't remember too much controversy in Barca's win then) I would say have been utterly dominant in the CL without huge slices of luck in the process. Maybe Bayern 2013 but then half their goals in that 7-0 shouldn't have even stood and Barca's last 2 CL wins had shed loads of controversy in the process while Real got saved by a 4min injury time last minute corner. You just have to admit that the team who won it was just the better team at the time even if they didn't have the players/style of play to prove that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh there was little difference between the United side of 07-09 and the Chelsea side of the time. Fine margins for most seasons but United just had an extra 3 or so points that SAF or Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez could pull out of the team. Chelsea obviously just focused on the cups which is why our cup record basically matches Uniteds league record at the time.

No team from about 2006(Don't remember too much controversy in Barca's win then) I would say have been utterly dominant in the CL without huge slices of luck in the process. Maybe Bayern 2013 but then half their goals in that 7-0 shouldn't have even stood and Barca's last 2 CL wins had shed loads of controversy in the process while Real got saved by a 4min injury time last minute corner. You just have to admit that the team who won it was just the better team at the time even if they didn't have the players/style of play to prove that.
    Just irritates me how this 07-08 United team is painted as one of the best ever who dominated domestically and on the European front when they won both trophies either by scraping it (winning the title on the last day does not portray dominance) or by an unlucky slip. A 2 point swing and a penalty half a foot to the left would've left them trophy less that season. Would we still rave about them as a team? Or would everyone say our team circa 07-08 was one of the best because we did a domestic and European double?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LosingDogs)
    Just irritates me how this 07-08 United team is painted as one of the best ever who dominated domestically and on the European front when they won both trophies either by scraping it (winning the title on the last day does not portray dominance) or by an unlucky slip. A 2 point swing and a penalty half a foot to the left would've left them trophy less that season. Would we still rave about them as a team? Or would everyone say our team circa 07-08 was one of the best because we did a domestic and European double?
    If winning 3 league titles in a row, going undefeated in the Champions League for 2 years, reaching consecutive CL finals & setting a world record of 14 clean sheets in a row isn't a sign of a great team, then tell me what is. I don't recall Chelsea ever doing any of those things.

So the strongest team in Europe won the league on the last day and the CL in a shoot out because an opposing player slipped in the rain to miss his spot kick which would've given his side the win? ]
    Your reasoning here is absurd. What does a penalty shoot out have to do with how good a team is? It's pure luck.

ReputationRep:
    How is it absurd. I didn't say United weren't a great team in that time, I'm saying that this notion of you being miles ahead of us in these years is a misconception, so we were just as good as you in these years. We lost the CL on luck as you put it, and then were blatantly cheated out of the CL which we would've won the following. You won the league on the last day, fair enough the next season you ran away with it. Essentially, in this period Chelsea= United.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also us in 04-06 were greatest ever PL team, just a shame we didn't win a European trophy. **** Garcia man that didn't cross the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also us in 04-06 were greatest ever PL team, just a shame we didn't win a European trophy. **** Garcia man that didn't cross the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, that was a ridiculous series of events.
    In our defence, if it wasn't a goal it was a 100% penalty and red card anyway - you can't complain.

ReputationRep:
    How is it absurd. I didn't say United weren't a great team in that time, I'm saying that this notion of you being miles ahead of us in these years is a misconception, so we were just as good as you in these years. We lost the CL on luck as you put it, and then were blatantly cheated out of the CL which we would've won the following. You won the league on the last day, fair enough the next season you ran away with it. Essentially, in this period Chelsea= United.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How can you say you would have won the CL the following year? :lolwut: its all hypothetical and also we beat you 3-0 in 08/09 season and drew to you lot at SB. I doubt you would have 'won' the CL in 09' but we'll never know.

Im going to end the topic here since its the Liverpool thread.

Anyways back to Liverpool, how do you think QPR will set up against you guys? The obvious answer probably is that they'll put 10 men behind the ball but thats what they did against United and they got mauled. I geniuenely think Rednapp will just tell his team to just go out and there and have a real go at you lot. Im hoping for a draw but its really going to be nothing but a straight forward win for Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyways back to Liverpool, how do you think QPR will set up against you guys? The obvious answer probably is that they'll put 10 men behind the ball but thats what they did against United and they got mauled. I geniuenely think Rednapp will just tell his team to just go out and there and have a real go at you lot. Im hoping for a draw but its really going to be nothing but a straight forward win for Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they aren't premier league level; they don't belong in this league, they simply aren't good enough
    however i am a little nervous since we're away to a promoted side with a decent manager - this is exactly the kind of game that we would mess up.

it's difficult for redknapp to know what would be most effective since we will have sturridge coming back.
    if he was still out and it was balotelli up front, they could simply park the bus and counter, hoping for a corner kick so they could win 1-0.
    however with sturridge up front, it makes us much more rapid going forward and it means we can actually break down a defence.

it will be an interesting game - there's no reason we shouldn't win it comfortably, although all i care about is points right now so i'd take any winning scoreline.
    it's one of those games where all of our rivals are gonna win so we can't afford to drop points here.
    all premier league games are difficult to an extent, but this is more or less as easy as it should be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clever of Rodgers to turn the Sterling thing around on the press imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Clever of Rodgers to turn the Sterling thing around on the press imo.
    I agree, he was hung out to dry to be honest.
    Good that Rodgers defended Sterling, although I'd rather this all just get forgotten about - wouldn't be a fan of tension between our club and country.

We have too many England players to afford making a big deal out of this to be honest.
    Let's all just acknowledge that Hodgson is a blubbering idiot and move on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Allen and Lovren set to return apparently.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    ^ Can too.

ReputationRep:
    Once we get these 4 back (Allen, Can, Sturridge, Lovren), are we back to a fully fit squad except Flanagan?

God it's been a while.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Got a bad feeling about Sunday.

I think it's gonna be grim.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Morning papers will report that Sturridge suffered a calf injury on his return to training and will be out for another month #LFC
    Sturridge could miss seven games.
    https://twitter.com/JimmyRiceWriter/...19675837370368
    https://twitter.com/JimmyRiceWriter/...20134505512961

you got to be ****ing kidding me.

ReputationRep:
    Sturidge seems like an Andy Carroll now.

ReputationRep:
    To say I'm ****ing pissed off is an understatement. :banghead:
    I was so looking forward to Sturridge being fit and firing again, I feel really sorry for the guy. Such a shame he's so injury prone.

ReputationRep:
    This is why Rodgers should of brought a decent backup for Sturridge, he should of known that he was going to get injured a lot....

Balotelli will have to step up now, midfielders will need to start chipping in more goals too, Lallana and Hendo got started against West Brom, heres hoping they can continue for the future games.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.