Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    . Coutinho really is our only forward who has improved his end product but even he is inconsistent
    He hasn't, I think he's got worse. He's now the biggest volume shooter in the league and he has **** all to show for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Klopp has had loads of injuries and very little time to fix the squad. Liverpool are struggling for goals because their best striker has been injured for the entire season basically, their other striker is misfiring to an extent and the team are not suited to playing to his strengths, they have an attacking midfielder playing up top and before that they had a 20 year old striker who is in his first season in the prem so was obviously going to struggle with any form of consistency.

So I believe that Klopp deserves time and that this season should be a write off. Matter of fact is that Liverpool are in a very good position to win silverware this season(something that hasn't been done for 3 years) which is a base to bigger and better things. At least Klopp can make Liverpool a cup team and get them in the top 4, that can be a base for them to build on(see e.g. Simeone at Atlético if you want an example of that)
    Thanks for all the effort you went to to put across your argument, but I have to admit I was really just trying to wind up Luke. I didn't really mean it all..

My bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    Thanks for all the effort you went to to put across your argument, but I have to admit I was really just trying to wind up Luke. I didn't really mean it all..

My bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    #obsessed

Don't have time for blondes, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Teams have De Gea or Courtois or Hart or Cech or Lloris but we have ****ing Mignolet

ReputationRep:
    We must be **** if Mignolet gets a 5 year contract, Enrique making a living just by playing Fifa/Mario Kart [or whatever he does] and Sturridge £150k/wk when he always injured and who's missed more games by injury than actually playing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFC_fan_321)
    We must be **** if Mignolet gets a 5 year contract, Enrique making a living just by playing Fifa/Mario Kart [or whatever he does] and Sturridge £150k/wk when he always injured and who's missed more games by injury than actually playing it.
    *sigh* really hoping Klopp/Mignolet proves us all wrong but I can't see it. Don't think any fan wanted him to get an extension.

We're just running Enrique's contract down (expires this summer). No one obviously came in for him. Surprised how quickly he fell off - he's only 30 this month.

Can't really fault Sturridge for being injured. He had a great first 18 months (with a few injuries) but since then it's been really bad.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Shame he wants to leave, I thought he'd have a bright future for Liverpool http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342040

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    #obsessed

Don't have time for blondes, sorry.
    Dyed my hair.. jokes on you m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    Dyed my hair.. jokes on you m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really?

I'm listening.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Shame he wants to leave, I thought he'd have a bright future for Liverpool http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35342040
    If he had a bright future - with our forward crisis as it is - he'd be forcing the issue and making the bench, or even starting. He isn't, and I think that's forced his hand and he now wants a fresh start. We aren't losing anything special, despite that goal at Exeter the other Friday night in the FA Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    If he had a bright future - with our forward crisis as it is - he'd be forcing the issue and making the bench, or even starting. He isn't, and I think that's forced his hand and he now wants a fresh start. We aren't losing anything special, despite that goal at Exeter the other Friday night in the FA Cup.
    I agree - he isn't terrible and he has some potential but not at the level we need.

You can see that some aspects of his play are great; the way he took the goal vs Exeter was a great display of his reactions, calmness and general striker instinct. That being said, he doesn't show too much more and he barely did anything else against a League 2 side.

Obviously you can't judge a player on a single game (especially a young one), but the fact that he wants to leave means absolutely nothing to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No interest in a kid leaving us when we lack so many first-team leaders, to be honest. I expect a proper hollowing out at Melwood this summer, because Klopp lacks leaders and winners.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The Mignolet contract extension makes no bloody sense. I can't even comprehend why anybody would think 5 years is suitable. Are they seeing something in him that none of us see?

He clearly has talent and on the rare occasions he runs in to a vein of form, he can compete with some of the best keepers in the league. However it's never permanent and he ultimately reverts back to making error after error each game.

I have 2 problems with his new contract. Firstly, why the bloody hell would we give him a contract that long when he's done nothing to warrant it?
    Secondly, why would we commit so much financially to an unspectacular goalkeeper when there are plenty of options out there to invest in.
    Ter Stegen, Butland, Horn or Leno would all be better options than Mignolet in my opinion so it's not like we've been forced in to giving him a new contract because there's nobody else to buy.

Mignolet is a huge confidence player - perhaps Klopp has seen him perform exceptionally in training and knows that with enough nurturing and belief, he can come good?
    Personally I doubt it, although in fairness you must consider that DDG got off to a poor start at United and now he's one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Things change but I just feel like this is too big of a commitment to a guy that in several years just hasn't stepped up enough.

Opponents see our weakness. They see a weak central defence in front of a weak goalkeeper and they use that to their advantage. All they see is a nervous keeper protected by a defence who are laughably poor from set pieces.
    All you need to do to beat us is play for corners and I'm not even exaggerating. It's just that easy and quite frankly it's becoming an embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    lol a ****ing 5 year contract, please tell me it's April's fools. He's been absolutely **** at Liverpool and at best an average keeper. He should just piss off back to Sunderland, what a joke.

Mind you, if anyone can improve Mignolet it'll be Klopp. I'll try to hold on to the little faith I have left in Mignolet.

ReputationRep:
    hehe not long ago he was the "6th best keeper in the league"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Who is next? Skrtel?

Liverpool are rewarding disappointment with this contract extension. I actually think Klopp's faith and backing of Mignolet is admirable, but the timing of it from a PR standpoint is borderline farcical.

We've just lost to one of the worst United sides of my lifetime - if not THE worst - and Mignolet has been a constant staple in a defence which is leaking goals, breeding uncertainty, and doing the fanbase's heads in.

It may be asset protection, it may be trying to tie him down as a number two so Klopp can recruit his own man, but all of that is uncertain - and what seems certain - is that Mignolet will be in our goal, flapping at crosses and failing to organise a defence, for another HALF a decade.

Mignolet strikes me as somebody who analyses and over-thinks things. The best goalkeepers are bred on instinct - something he just lacks, meaning he'll never be top class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    The Mignolet contract extension makes no bloody sense. I can't even comprehend why anybody would think 5 years is suitable. Are they seeing something in him that none of us see?

He clearly has talent and on the rare occasions he runs in to a vein of form, he can compete with some of the best keepers in the league. However it's never permanent and he ultimately reverts back to making error after error each game.

I have 2 problems with his new contract. Firstly, why the bloody hell would we give him a contract that long when he's done nothing to warrant it?
    Secondly, why would we commit so much financially to an unspectacular goalkeeper when there are plenty of options out there to invest in.
    Ter Stegen, Butland, Horn or Leno would all be better options than Mignolet in my opinion so it's not like we've been forced in to giving him a new contract because there's nobody else to buy.

Mignolet is a huge confidence player - perhaps Klopp has seen him perform exceptionally in training and knows that with enough nurturing and belief, he can come good?
    Personally I doubt it, although in fairness you must consider that DDG got off to a poor start at United and now he's one of the top 5 keepers in the world. Things change but I just feel like this is too big of a commitment to a guy that in several years just hasn't stepped up enough.

Opponents see our weakness. They see a weak central defence in front of a weak goalkeeper and they use that to their advantage. All they see is a nervous keeper protected by a defence who are laughably poor from set pieces.
    All you need to do to beat us is play for corners and I'm not even exaggerating. It's just that easy and quite frankly it's becoming an embarrassment.
    The difference for DDG was that he was a young skinny kid and therefore the Premier League was a bit of a shock. He managed to bulk up to address those weaknesses while retaining all of his other quality to become a great keeper.

Mignolet isn't young and he isn't going to dramatically improve one weakness.

(Original post by Mackay)
    Who is next? Skrtel?

Liverpool are rewarding disappointment with this contract extension. I actually think Klopp's faith and backing of Mignolet is admirable, but the timing of it from a PR standpoint is borderline farcical.

We've just lost to one of the worst United sides of my lifetime - if not THE worst - and Mignolet has been a constant staple in a defence which is leaking goals, breeding uncertainty, and doing the fanbase's heads in.

It may be asset protection, it may be trying to tie him down as a number two so Klopp can recruit his own man, but all of that is uncertain - and what seems certain - is that Mignolet will be in our goal, flapping at crosses and failing to organise a defence, for another HALF a decade.

Mignolet strikes me as somebody who analyses and over-thinks things. The best goalkeepers are bred on instinct - something he just lacks, meaning he'll never be top class.
    It's not asset protection when no one in their right mind would try and buy Mignolet from us! He still had 2.5 years left on his contract and we could've just given him a year or two more in the summer. Right now all we've done is commit ourselves to a bigger contract liability. Don't forget that Mignolet reportedly also got a pay rise which means he'll be on double what we'd expect to pay our number 2 keeper. We got rid of Reina because we couldn't commit to two high salaries for GKs.

The contract baffles everyone but I guess only Klopp could get away with it. If Rodgers had done that he would've been slaughtered.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure klopp was like "give the little boy a chance, award him a new contract, im different from BR wait till you see next seasom" this is bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    It's not asset protection when no one in their right mind would try and buy Mignolet from us!
    Not for the amount of money we'd be asking for, admittedly, but clubs have signed worse. Put him in a side with a tall, solid defence in front of him (i.e. Leicester or Stoke) and you wouldn't see half the problems you currently witness from him.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.