This discussion is closed.
irvingxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
Are you a fresher?

If so you sign the contract when you arrive to move in so this shouldn't be a problem. But please do let the accommodation office know asap if you change your mind, so they can offer your room to someone else.

You will be given more precise info nearer the time, but you will have to bring id and go to a certain place on campus to sign the contract and pick up your key. I believe you can also but a bedding pack in advance and pick it up then. And then some people will be on hand to help you move all your stuff in/show you exactly where your room is.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for reply, but i've signed a license with accommodation office already. I'm a non-eu student, if I change my mind now, can I withdraw the accommodation offer?
jack1017
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey there!

I'm deciding on accommodation (20/m Australian exchange student) and i'm struggling to find info on the different en-suite campus options.

Are any of the houses particularly different to one another (i.e. religious, have a party reputation etc.)??

Thanks!
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by irvingxx)
Thanks for reply, but i've signed a license with accommodation office already. I'm a non-eu student, if I change my mind now, can I withdraw the accommodation offer?
You'd have to ask the office to check on that one, sorry!

(Original post by jack1017)
Hey there!

I'm deciding on accommodation (20/m Australian exchange student) and i'm struggling to find info on the different en-suite campus options.

Are any of the houses particularly different to one another (i.e. religious, have a party reputation etc.)??

Thanks!
You don't chose individual buildings, you just chose ensuite campus and they put you in one. Some are in slightly different places or formats/different size but they're pretty much all very similar in terms of what you get and the mix of people you're likely to find, which is highly dependent on the year .

There would never be any particular religious buildings as the university is a secular institution.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
jack1017
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok right, just put my application in then, thanks!!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey there!

Thanks!
as has been said at uea none of the halls would be religious, this is the case at most uk universities as a) halls are supposed to be inclusive b) the population in general is getting less observant (particularly the christian population). Also a lot of students like moving away from home to get away from rules and regulations.

If you are religious however there is a very active Christian Union.

It's down to each individual flat and the people living in them as to how party like the flat is so thsi various between flats rather than between houses (or halls as they are known).

You can't choose between them however two of the older ensuite campus halls (Nelson and Constable) do have bigger rooms and the kitchens are set out differently and are laid out in houses of 10 with stairs giving two levels. All other ensuite campus halls rooms are in flats so once your in your flat there are no stairs. These newer halls are pretty much identical to each other.
jack1017
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for that, i wasn't planning on going to a religious one so that works out perfectly. That's interesting about the flats vs. halls, i guess i'll just have to make the effort to get things started!
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for that, i wasn't planning on going to a religious one so that works out perfectly. That's interesting about the flats vs. halls, i guess i'll just have to make the effort to get things started!
or meet people from other flats/societies/your course. within each hall there will be at least a few flats where the young excited freshers want to go clubbing all the time and then one or two where the majority would rather do other things
osas101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi im an international student and ive firmed my offer to study law this year.. i was just wondering what uni residence would be best and a reasonable distance from earlham hall
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by osas101)
hi im an international student and ive firmed my offer to study law this year.. i was just wondering what uni residence would be best and a reasonable distance from earlham hall
most of the halls are very near each other and equally a pretty similar distance from Earlham Hall. Also for your first year its likely that not all your lectures especially will be there. The only one which is significantly futher away from the hall is Mary Chapman Court. As for best it depends on your preference. Do you want an ensuite or to save money? A bigger flat or a smaller one?
osas101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im definitely big on saving money and a moderate space ...can i still get a good room at this point cos i know that most students have already applied for rooms so my app. will go a bit late
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im definitely big on saving money and a moderate space ...can i still get a good room at this point cos i know that most students have already applied for rooms so my app. will go a bit late
They don't assign the majority of rooms till after results day so it should have no effect. It would be silly to assign rooms before results day, then have to re-assign them all afterwards!! (Even though some unis do it like that). Plus this way they can try and make it so that everyone gets one of their top 3 choices (a high percentage do).

xxx
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you want cheap and your not fussed about sharing a bathroom and want to be on campus then its between Orwell and Norfolk/Suffolk- Orwell has smaller flats and is known for being quieter whilst Norfolk and Suffolk has bigger flats and is typically seen as the party halls. I suggest you look at the information on the website as well.

And your application wont be late at all, the deadline isnt until the 31st july and its not first come first served.
osas101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
if you want cheap and your not fussed about sharing a bathroom and want to be on campus then its between Orwell and Norfolk/Suffolk- Orwell has smaller flats and is known for being quieter whilst Norfolk and Suffolk has bigger flats and is typically seen as the party halls. I suggest you look at the information on the website as well.

And your application wont be late at all, the deadline isnt until the 31st july and its not first come first served.
thanx for the help..the campus map didnt really make things better..its a pain to look at
gbc715
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I've put the Village as my first choice but after reading through certain posts in this thread I'm worried whether I made the right choice or not haha. I've seen people post that the village tends to have more antisocial people and can be hit-and-miss, is this true? I love going out and parties and meeting loads of people so I'm hoping being in the village won't leave me feeling away from the fun? Can anyone from the village or who knows about it give me a general idea about what it's like? Cheers
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gbc715)
Hey, I've put the Village as my first choice but after reading through certain posts in this thread I'm worried whether I made the right choice or not haha. I've seen people post that the village tends to have more antisocial people and can be hit-and-miss, is this true? I love going out and parties and meeting loads of people so I'm hoping being in the village won't leave me feeling away from the fun? Can anyone from the village or who knows about it give me a general idea about what it's like? Cheers
Tbh its hit and miss how sociable your flat is in any of the ensuite halls, but at least with the village I believe flat doors are unlocked so you can get between easily to meet others. The people I know who were there two years ago had no problems making lots of friends.

just to add if you find your flat is antisocial then as well as other people in your hall your course (especially if its one with lots of contact hours and societies also offer ways to make friends)
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gbc715)

When I was there it was very sociable, people were always in and out of each other's flats, spending time together.

As said above it really is the luck of the draw for your flatmates.

I'd also note that just because the flats doors lock in ensuite that doesn't mean people don't mix between flats, I know people who made good friends that way.

xxx
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
When I was there it was very sociable, people were always in and out of each other's flats, spending time together.

As said above it really is the luck of the draw for your flatmates.

I'd also note that just because the flats doors lock in ensuite that doesn't mean people don't mix between flats, I know people who made good friends that way.

xxx
I think again that depends on the people- when I was in Britten in 2011-12 virtually none of the flats or people in them mixed. There was no real way to get into the other flats unless you already knew the people in them- we tried knocking on the flat next door but they couldn't hear us.
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
I think again that depends on the people- when I was in Britten in 2011-12 virtually none of the flats or people in them mixed. There was no real way to get into the other flats unless you already knew the people in them- we tried knocking on the flat next door but they couldn't hear us.
Yeah!

I imagine some of it's the luck of the beginning as well - if the flat upstairs goes out to meet other flats at the same time as you near the beginning then it could work but if you both miss each other then it is hard to make it happen later.

The open door thing in the village is very helpful, don't get me wrong, but people gathered in other ways in the village and I just didn't want people to worry that it was impossible to make other friends if they don't gel with their flatmates!

xxx
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
Yeah!

I imagine some of it's the luck of the beginning as well - if the flat upstairs goes out to meet other flats at the same time as you near the beginning then it could work but if you both miss each other then it is hard to make it happen later.

The open door thing in the village is very helpful, don't get me wrong, but people gathered in other ways in the village and I just didn't want people to worry that it was impossible to make other friends if they don't gel with their flatmates!

xxx
no definitley not
gbc715
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cheers guys! yeah I just wanted to make sure I hadn't chosen somewhere likely to be full of quiet people who prefer to be away from the campus and social events, cause I'm the complete opposite haha, but I guess that could be the case anywhere!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads