Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    They usually bring stalls and get you to sign up near the start of the course- that's when you get the freebies. But if not (maybe if you're on a small course) or if you'd rather I think you can do it online or over the phone.

You can get a student membership with all three teaching unions for free, then decide next year which one you want to stay with.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Yeah, if I don't find them in fresher's week. I'll give them a call.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Just remember that sometimes these things are only finalised near the last minute so they may not be able to tell you where you'll be when you want to know
    I know, I know . Just being over dramatic as per 🙈
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My offer turned unconditional! Woooooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    My offer turned unconditional! Woooooo!
    Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Back to work tomorrow good luck to everyone starting their training or first teaching posts this week, have a blast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I start tomorrow. Getting seriously nervous now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Frisbee!?My reaction if I were to be handed a free frisbee...

Attachment 319987
    Note how it was the first item I listed...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I start tomorrow. Getting seriously nervous now!!
    Me too! Argh! Well, induction day tomorrow, then first proper day Thursday. Which course are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAlwaysWright)
    Me too! Argh! Well, induction day tomorrow, then first proper day Thursday. Which course are you on?
    PGCE Primary (5-11) at Derby. You?

ReputationRep:
    PGCE Primary (5-11) at Derby. You?
    Secondary English (11-18) at Chester. Just got here today, can't wait to get stuck in.

ReputationRep:
    Secondary English (11-18) at Chester. Just got here today, can't wait to get stuck in.
    Cool, good luck! I did my degree in English. Not sure I could teach secondary though, go you!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, good luck! I did my degree in English. Not sure I could teach secondary though, go you!
    Oh did you, me too (obviously) 🙈
    More lit based than lang, but high school language isn't all that challenging compared to when it's at degree level! I feel the same about primary, I'm absolutely rubbish with the little ones, and if the tears n snot starts running I just can't cope! Best of luck I'm sure you'll be great! 😊👍

ReputationRep:
    Oh did you, me too (obviously)
    More lit based than lang, but high school language isn't all that challenging compared to when it's at degree level! I feel the same about primary, I'm absolutely rubbish with the little ones, and if the tears n snot starts running I just can't cope! Best of luck I'm sure you'll be great!
    Haha. Sounds like we are both going into teaching the right age group for us!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you both! I'm starting on the 15th so I look forward to seeing how it goes for you. I've got a pre-course placement that starts tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my secondary PGCE in Chemistry in two weeks.
    Any of the "Been-there-done-that" lot on here got any advice? Any tips would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissi86)
    Good luck to you both! I'm starting on the 15th so I look forward to seeing how it goes for you. I've got a pre-course placement that starts tomorrow.
    Thanks Chrissi, a pre-course placement sounds like a good ice breaker, what route are you on?. I can't wait to get back in the classroom and shake off these nerves!
    Hopefully anyway ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaYvonne)
    I'm starting my secondary PGCE in Chemistry in two weeks.
    Any of the "Been-there-done-that" lot on here got any advice? Any tips would be much appreciated!
    What's worrying you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    What's worrying you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure tbh.
    I felt fine all summer and was really looking forward to it, then just started panicking like a crazy lady last night with visions of evil children throwing text books at me.

Also, I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaYvonne)
    I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.
    You manage the workload one tiny step at a time. As long as you're ready for tomorrow (or sometimes today!) then don't beat yourself up about it.

I think as long as you go in expecting to have no free time and be stressed as hell, then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

On a practical front, I found it really helpful to stock up on daily essentials before things got busy, so I knew I never needed to worry about running out of deodorant or whatnot when I felt like I had NO TIME to go to Tesco. I probably did have time for that, to be fair, but it's no use being told that when you feel like your workload is an Everest-like mountain staring you in the face.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Chrissi, a pre-course placement sounds like a good ice breaker, what route are you on?. I can't wait to get back in the classroom and shake off these nerves!
    Hopefully anyway ha.
    PGCE Primary!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.