Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to get into American Football seriously, watch College Football there is much more passion and commitment. If you look at all the saturday games, especially the ones with BCS implications and rivalries its amazing to see build ups, nothing like another sport you will watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Yes mate. Staffordshire Stallions
    Ah. Do you know Tom Donlan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Ah. Do you know Tom Donlan?
    There's a guy who comes to the games with a hoodie that says 'Donlan' on the back. I think he does the chains and records the stats.

ReputationRep:
    There's a guy who comes to the games with a hoodie that says 'Donlan' on the back. I think he does the chains and records the stats.
    Nah he's a player. Think he plays Guard and DT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Nah he's a player. Think he plays Guard and DT.
    He definitely hasn't played this season

ReputationRep:
    The majority are beginners tbh. I think 2 years ago, they only had a squad of 30 or 40 so that's pretty much a 100% increase in the last 2 years - goes to show how popular the sport is starting to become.

You sign up, pay your joining fee for insurance, kit rental, travel etc. (mine was £105, yours will most likely be different) and then you're in the squad. It's not like the NFL where they can cut you if you're ****

I think sheffield hallam have a fairly decent team, not sure about salford.
    cool, yep it is starting to get more recognised, but then sucks cos i wanna play every game, and more competition cool must be a nightmare for the manager picking your team
    i'll join the hallam team :woo:
    (Original post by Rekyht)
    Because you're all part of a team, and every player has flaws. You may be fantastic at one thing, but theres a pretty good chance you're awful at something else.
    You play/win/lose as a team no matter who's on it, and if you have an attitude that makes you think you're better than anyone else on the team, whether it's true or not, then you're the one that doesn't belong on the team: not them.
    true words :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    If anyone wants to get into American Football seriously, watch College Football there is much more passion and commitment. If you look at all the saturday games, especially the ones with BCS implications and rivalries its amazing to see build ups, nothing like another sport you will watch.
    College Football is great, it is a good way to get into football.

The BCS rankings and the way the seeds are determined is ****. That needs to be sorted out.

You mentioned Barkley in an earlier post, Barkley has unfinished business with the Trojans, they're my pick for the BSC national championship. As long as they don't stuff up against Oregon they'll be going all the way. I reckon the Buckeyes will be the dark horses of the season. Urban Meyer is putting a nice team together, if they sort their QB out they could be going to BCS bowl game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkev)
    College Football is great, it is a good way to get into football.

The BCS rankings and the way the seeds are determined is ****. That needs to be sorted out.

You mentioned Barkley in an earlier post, Barkley has unfinished business with the Trojans, they're my pick for the BSC national championship. As long as they don't stuff up against Oregon they'll be going all the way. I reckon the Buckeyes will be the dark horses of the season. Urban Meyer is putting a nice team together, if they sort their QB out they could be going to BCS bowl game.
    Im a big USC fan, with the restrictions coming off and the ability to actually go to a BCS game if not the National Championship, exciting times in Pasadena. I like our recruiting class together with some of the seniors. I don't see why we can't compete this year, having said that, LSU and Alabama are going to be up there. Its the only sport where polling is relevant, I really enjoy seeing the pre build up with the various implications and how voters and 3 different polls are looked at. Im kinda elitist I hate how non BCS teams get easy schedules like Boise/TCU, so unfair compared to teams in the SEC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Im a big USC fan, with the restrictions coming off and the ability to actually go to a BCS game if not the National Championship, exciting times in Pasadena. I like our recruiting class together with some of the seniors. I don't see why we can't compete this year, having said that, LSU and Alabama are going to be up there. Its the only sport where polling is relevant, I really enjoy seeing the pre build up with the various implications and how voters and 3 different polls are looked at. Im kinda elitist I hate how non BCS teams get easy schedules like Boise/TCU, so unfair compared to teams in the SEC.
    I think Bama have the best odds if I'm not mistaken then it's USC. No excuses for USC this season though.

Teams that are in the WAC, Sun-Belt, C-USA, M-West etc... do have easier schedules but that all reflects were they stand in the seedings at the end and shows why the polls are flawed. Houston tore up pretty much their whole schedule (except Southern Miss) they were like ranked first for PPG I think and Keenum had like the most passing yards out of any QB. Yet Houston didn't even make BCS bowl game. Even if they went perfect and beat S Miss they probablywouldn't have been going to a BCS game. On the flip side top seeds with a one game loss (OSU, Stanford..) had a legitimate beef because there was cause for them to go to the national game over Bama. The computer rankings mess everything up. It's all over the place tbh, it can be sorted out with a simple playoff structure.

I'm a Wisconsin Badgers fan.

We were unlucky in our Mich St. loss and then lost in the last minute to Ohio St. If not for them we could have been going to the championship game. In two weeks we went from ranked 4 to 17 on two close games.

ReputationRep:
    Used to be a huge USC fan, mainly 'cos I was a big Leinart fanboy whilst he was in college. However, as a Raiders fan I despise Lane Kiffin and hope to see any team he is associated with fail.

More of a Michigan fan now, but still can't say I follow college football too closely. Although I did watch the vast majority of Bowl games when ESPN was showing them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)
    Yeah I saw them ruin the Bucs in 2009. Yes, you have to see him in person before he retires. 5 years to go maximum, maybe less if we (god forbid) have a Peyton Manning situation, or some career ending injury.
    Decided to get tickets after all! Can't wait now, although knowing my luck Brady will pick up an injury and not play.

Where are you sat? We could only get level 5 tickets but we're in the North sideline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    Decided to get tickets after all! Can't wait now, although knowing my luck Brady will pick up an injury and not play.

Where are you sat? We could only get level 5 tickets but we're in the North sideline.
    GOOD CHOICE! This is going to be sick

I hope he doesn't. *Touch wood*. We are screwed without Brady. Pure and simple.

I don't know where we are sat to be honest. My uncle bought the tickets and he hasn't told me where we are yet but I will find out soon :P

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into watching NFL, so I was wondering, which team should I support? Or how should I decide who to follow?

I'd prefer to watch a particular team than be neutral, but I don't have a clue how to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweatyGoldfish)
    I want to get into watching NFL, so I was wondering, which team should I support? Or how should I decide who to follow?

I'd prefer to watch a particular team than be neutral, but I don't have a clue how to decide.
    Personally, I'd pick a rebuilding team as, from experience, they're the most exciting to follow. The St Louis Rams are a good choice - terrible atm but a good draft and some new additions could see them push for the playoffs in a few seasons. The Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns as well - both fairly solid and they're tipped to go for a very exciting quarterback in this year's draft (Robert Griffin III) which would make them extremely good to watch.

ReputationRep:
    I am so excited for this year's draft mainly to see what the Rams do. It seems to me that they're expected to trade down, however, picking Matt Kalil at no 2 will instantly improve Bradford and, subsequently, the whole team. If not, a trade with the Browns for their 2 1st round picks could see them pick up Riley Reiff and maybe a quality D-liner. Either way, they desperately need a good draft.

ReputationRep:
    Scouting combine FTL. Andrew Luck has gone from 'the next Peyton Manning' to 'the next Cam Newton' because he can run fast. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    Scouting combine FTL. Andrew Luck has gone from 'the next Peyton Manning' to 'the next Cam Newton' because he can run fast. :unimpressed:
    No, they're saying "not only is his awareness and planning ability as good as Manning's, but he's also as good an athlete as Cam Newton." They spent most of the last year pounding home the idea that RGIII is a phenomenal athlete, and Luck is a phenomenal pocket passer, and now they've realised that both are actually really good in both respects.

As for the daft, I think the Browns have a good shot at RGIII. If the Rams trade down to the Redskins at 6 then they lose Kalil, and he's a perfect fit for them right now. They also probably miss Blackmon, who still has question marks but is still a great fit for them. The Rams need a strong draft, so they need to stay at 2 or trade with the Browns to 4 and a few extra picks. That's what I hope happens anyway. The Vikings are a bit more of a wildcard - if the Rams stay put then the Vikings might get a huge offer from the Redskins (or someone else) to move up for RGIII, and they could use all the picks they can get. Heck they might even pick up RGIII themselves, but giving up on Ponder so soon doesn't look great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweatyGoldfish)

Im in the same predicament as you. I thought "whoever won the superbowl will be the team i support" so it was the giants. But im reconsidering, im gonna follow next season as a neutral and if no teams really attract me then i wll go for the giants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Im in the same predicament as you. I thought "whoever won the superbowl will be the team i support" so it was the giants. But im reconsidering, im gonna follow next season as a neutral and if no teams really attract me then i wll go for the giants
    Yeah I was thinking I might watch the next season as neutral and then decide who I want to support. Not sure yet though :\

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd pick a rebuilding team as, from experience, they're the most exciting to follow. The St Louis Rams are a good choice - terrible atm but a good draft and some new additions could see them push for the playoffs in a few seasons. The Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns as well - both fairly solid and they're tipped to go for a very exciting quarterback in this year's draft (Robert Griffin III) which would make them extremely good to watch.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking more of an 'underdog' team, would be fun to follow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.