Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the kew to winning today is Xavi, stop Xavi and you stop Barca. No matter who says what etc, Messi is not the focal point of the team, its Xavi, if we can isolate him then we have a chance of doing extremely well. Now that we have someone playing in the hole, a la cesc, I reckon we can shackle him as cesc is intelligent and will stick to his job.

Bring on the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannanB)
    I reckon the kew to winning today is Xavi, stop Xavi and you stop Barca. No matter who says what etc, Messi is not the focal point of the team, its Xavi, if we can isolate him then we have a chance of doing extremely well. Now that we have someone playing in the hole, a la cesc, I reckon we can shackle him as cesc is intelligent and will stick to his job.

Bring on the game
    Yeah lets not bother about Messi :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Messi, Xavi, Inieta, Pedro, Villa...they're all too ****in' good. There's not much point worrying about stopping one man in particular. We have to play our strengths too....Van Persie, Fabregas, Nasri are brilliant players and capable of making a match-winning contribution themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Yeah lets not bother about Messi :yy:

Its the arsenal way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    It's only a great point if said person doesn't know the rules. Of course it's perfectly legal. The problem Barcelona have is the fact that they cannot do anything about it. In Spain professional contracts can only be signed if you are 18 years old, in England you can do it at 16. Therefore we have a clash here, i.e. what is legal in England is illegal in Spain. If Wenger wanted to do this with for example with an English player it would be harder. Arsenal can offer a contract to for example an Everton youth player, but Everton can always counter the offer from Arsenal by offering their own if they want to keep him. This doesn't mean he won't go to Arsenal but what it does mean is that Everton at least made a fight of it and the choice would be entirely personal. I think if it was legal in Spain to give contracts to 16 year olds then Cesc decision would be different, I may be wrong but the decision would be difficult to make for him.
    We may not have got Cesc but at the same time there's no point any Barca personnel making a fuss over it, British clubs get screwed over on the work permit front

ReputationRep:
    Had a bet with a mate on Arsenal not losing. Still confident we can get some joy vs. Maxwell. They're weak at the back and the players have the confidence to have a go at them so hopefully...

Can't believe how long it's taking to reach 7.45!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Messi, Xavi, Inieta, Pedro, Villa...they're all too ****in' good. There's not much point worrying about stopping one man in particular. We have to play our strengths too....Van Persie, Fabregas, Nasri are brilliant players and capable of making a match-winning contribution themselves.

I agree, but the guy who most have to worry about is Xavi. THe guy makes Barca tick. If Xavi is out, Barca as a team are not as effective as no one bar Scholes in his prime in my era, could dictate a game like he did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Agreed, better off playing our own game than worrying about certain players. Defence needs to maintain it's form, slightly more midfield pressing than usual and sharp passing is the requirement. Usually i'm pessimistic but we've got a better chance than people are making out, especially for tonight's game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannanB)
    I agree, but the guy who most have to worry about is Xavi. THe guy makes Barca tick. If Xavi is out, Barca as a team are not as effective as no one bar Scholes in his prime in my era, could dictate a game like he did
    Xavi lays the blue print but our effectivity is with Leo. Barcelona without Xavi lack fluidity in possession and hold the ball slightly less but without Messi we lack imagination and penetration. Xavi is the foreplay, he will kiss and caress you but Lionel is ultimately the guy that will **** your brains out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    We may not have got Cesc but at the same time there's no point any Barca personnel making a fuss over it, British clubs get screwed over on the work permit front
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    little more than an hour

GO GUNNERS!!!

MAKE US PROUD

even if you don't win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Had a bet with a mate on Arsenal not losing. Still confident we can get some joy vs. Maxwell. They're weak at the back and the players have the confidence to have a go at them so hopefully...

Can't believe how long it's taking to reach 7.45!!
    I wouldn't say that about their defence, especially this season.

Line up's in 15 Mins.............

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that this might turn out like the away game at chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Both managers said that their team will play their usual way and won't change because of the opponent, therefore keeping possession, passing and controlling the pace of the game. So will the match be decided who does these 3 things the better?

ReputationRep:
    Come on you gunnnerrs!

ReputationRep:
    2-1 Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    I wouldn't say that about their defence, especially this season.

Line up's in 15 Mins.............
    Not this season but that back four wasn't (correct me if I'm wrong here):

Alves -- Pique -- Abidal -- Maxwell

To me that doesn't look AS strong and I feel we can get some joy down the wings.

ReputationRep:
    You will have some joy on the wings by getting behind the full backs, but who are you going to cross it to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Not this season but that back four wasn't (correct me if I'm wrong here):

Alves -- Pique -- Abidal -- Maxwell

To me that doesn't look AS strong and I feel we can get some joy down the wings.
    Maybe Maxwell, the others are good at those positions.

ReputationRep:
    Arshavin to start...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.