Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone recieved emails from their university yet??? I got one from my uni which kind of got me depressed as it didnt hint of a "congratulations you're in" email but more of a what to do if you don't meet the offer but it also said what to do if you have met the offer

Maybe I'm being pessimistic here but it's hard not to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Anyone recieved emails from their university yet??? I got one from my uni which kind of got me depressed as it didnt hint of a "congratulations you're in" email but more of a what to do if you don't meet the offer but it also said what to do if you have met the offer
    What uni is this???:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working. Your post was good, but it comes across as foolish when you put such uninformed, slanderous views across.

And Gove's changes won't do anything. Changing exams and schools at a structural level has miniscule effects. The greatest changes can be made at a school level - hence why some schools thrive on the current system and others flounder. Despite what people on both sides of the debate might say, Gove's changes will not bring rigour back into the system, or take us back to the 1950s.
    uhhh why do I see his name??? Michael Gove..... what has he done now????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working.
    A History teacher in my school is convinced that he's a psychopath and a danger to schools.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream996)
    We're just discussing the education system in general - nothing has come into the news that effects A-Level results, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I might as well weigh in on the class debate: class clearly does make a difference. Generally, those from wealthier backgrounds who are able to access private education tend to do better than those who can't. There is also the environmental factors to consider, e.g. the influence of parents (who may be "supportive" or "pushy" - the difference between the two seems quite blurred in this current discussion). Does this mean that we should begrudge those who do achieve with a private education of their right to celebrate and disparagingly call them "oiks" who go around "oinking" about their success? Of course not.

The current system isn't fair - but the students who benefit from it aren't to blame. Blame the system, not the students. Even if their parents are "pushy" and they've received opportunities that others haven't, they've still had to work hard to achieve the grades. Let's use the energy wasted here spouting vitriol at innocent parties to actually consider solutions and address the issues.

I say all this as someone who has always been in state education.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sad that I have no-one to go out and celebrate/ drown my sorrows with on Thursday.
    I retook a year and didn't really bother making new friends and my friend who retook with me couldn't give two craps about her results.
    Looks to be a solitary night on TSR I suppose. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss.ce.0x)
    Nice to meet you too

Leicester is my firm for 2013 for English.
    Ah good luck with your results. I am wanting to go to Leicester in 2014 so if my AS levels are good I will apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevloui)
    What uni is this???:eek:
    Uni of bham I can post the email if ud like as I'm not sure if its a general email they send to everyone or if other applicants have different emails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream996)
    Robbed a bank and murdered innocents by the sounds of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padouken)
    A History teacher in my school is convinced that he's a psychopath and a danger to schools.

LOL
    A common view among the teaching profession.

ReputationRep:
    Well, every minute he spends robbing and murdering is another he can't meddle with the education system.

ReputationRep:
    Man, feeling so nervous and depressed right now, how the last several years I've worked to get into medicine all come down to one day, Thursday. On the other side, listen to this song, makes you feel better whilst wasting some time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfpDlN8Fyg

ReputationRep:
    Why am I not surprise ?? He is nothing but destroying the education system, poisoning youngster mind.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is good for chemistry? wat
    oh dear have I missed something out- what did you think I meant and perhaps I can express myself better

ReputationRep:
    ljmu goes they want AAB in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    My badness.
    Hahah no problem. What have you gone for?

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how quickly the last few months have gone since taking my last exam and how slowly the last five days have been... Time must be getting slower.

How did it even get to three days to go anyway??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arva)
    This is an absolutely fantastic post. Once again, you've phrased things much more eloquently than I.
    Not more eloquent; just blunter and ruder.

(Original post by kevloui)
    LOL I like how this has turned on me. But that person was the only person who brought up true evidence and was neither for nor against either side. Which is where I stand.

The posts which aggressively attack the first persons statement about classes being a big influence on where we end up, sounded biased from the point of view of a private school student. I dont think I'm the only one who thinks so either.

All in all... the gove need to fix up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can appreciate that my post comes across in that way but I have been a Free School Meals pupil throughout school. I'm certainly biased on the argument but not due to relative wealth or because the point is attacking me personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazon123456789)
    ljmu goes they want AAB in clearing.
    Where is this expressed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.