The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
Fixed the quote. :wink: I don't see any reason why not, although it may well be less than currently. Either way, I have to get there first!

If you don't make it, there's not much hope for the rest of us mortals :redface:
Original post by Shady778
:frown: thanks anyway :smile:

Sorry man, and no problem (its not set in stone yet, and check my new post if you want info on how an A is determined)
Original post by Robbie242
Sorry man, and no problem (its not set in stone yet, and check my new post if you want info on how an A is determined)

Will do.
Reply 3763
Original post by joostan
For hidden quadratics a friend of mine insisted on using the union jack :lol:
Haha - as if I'd give you such an easy problem :laugh:

Spoiler

lmao, ahh I look forward to it, I hope I can solve it! :biggrin: I'll probably boast for the rest of the year if I can lols

Spoiler

Will do.

No worries, still a good UMS score, it will defo be near an A so you can work harder next year to increase your average! Good luck :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
lmao, ahh I look forward to it, I hope I can solve it! :biggrin: I'll probably boast for the rest of the year if I can lols

Spoiler

What about a cheeky warm up? :wink:
Just worried what my parents will say on the day LOL.
Original post by joostan
If you don't make it, there's not much hope for the rest of us mortals :redface:

I don't know. I feel reasonably strong at STEP now (Managed 6 full solutions in an hour to a mock earlier) but I also feel that there are a fair few users here equal to or stronger than I am mathematically.
I think I might actually bother finishing Fermats Last Theorem now, I have nothing to do apart from repetitive fp1 and the odd question I can attempt to grasp from felix :colone:
Original post by DJMayes
I don't know. I feel reasonably strong at STEP now (Managed 6 full solutions in an hour to a mock earlier) but I also feel that there are a fair few users here equal to or stronger than I am mathematically.

6 in an hour???!
*gulp*
That's not even funny :redface:
The most I've done is about 7/8 in 3 hours.
I get the feeling. Felix and LotF are rather off putting :tongue:
Reply 3769
Original post by joostan
What about a cheeky warm up? :wink:

I feel tempted, Salters is ruining chem for me :frown: Only if you promise it will take me less than an hour lols
Just worried what my parents will say on the day LOL.

Depends what type of parents honestly :P My mum went insane when I got a few B's and C's at GCSE Lol, along with my A*'s in media but those don't really matter.

If they are likely to get disappointed, I'd just tell them now tbh, to either add shock value to if the results come out good, or to ensure they don't lose their **** on the day.
Original post by tigerz
I feel tempted, Salters is ruining chem for me Only if you promise it will take me less than an hour lols

I can't make any such promises

I think I might actually bother finishing Fermats Last Theorem now, I have nothing to do apart from repetitive fp1 and the odd question I can attempt to grasp from felix :colone:

How about . . .
Prove that: 53\sqrt[3]{5} is irrational? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
How about . . .

*shamefully searches for the definition of irrational*

I'll give it a go, oh ok so it can't be written as a fraction, seems simple enough
(edited 10 years ago)
*shamefully searches for the definition of irrational*

I'll give it a go

How about not rational? :tongue:
Reply 3774
Original post by joostan

How about . . .

LOL, so I have to prove that its a surd or w/e with no calculator right? :smile:

Its irrational if it cant be written as a fraction right? :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
LOL, so I have to prove that its a surd or w/e with no calculator right? :smile:

Your calculator won't prove it's a non-terminating decimal :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes

My god! I should just walk away before even trying as I'd not be able to compete against your ability, let alone enough to get a 2 or even a 3 :-/ Its all starting to look like a dream again.
Reply 3777
Original post by joostan
Your calculator won't prove it's a non-terminating decimal :tongue:

*sighs* is this the right idea :P?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz

Its irrational if it cant be written as a fraction right? :colondollar:

Can't be written as the ratio of two integers.
E.g π2\dfrac{\pi}{2} is an irrational fraction :tongue:

Original post by tigerz
*sighs* is this the right idea :P?

53=513 \sqrt[3]{5}=5^\frac{1}{3}

That doesn't help much. :redface:
Play around for a bit, and if you're not getting anywhere I'll give you a hint :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan

How about . . .

Spoiler

Original post by joostan
6 in an hour???!
*gulp*
That's not even funny :redface:
The most I've done is about 7/8 in 3 hours.
I get the feeling. Felix and LotF are rather off putting :tongue:

I have a lot of spare time. :lol:

Original post by MathsNerd1
My god! I should just walk away before even trying as I'd not be able to compete against your ability, let alone enough to get a 2 or even a 3 :-/ Its all starting to look like a dream again.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put anyone off. Besides, it's not a competition. :smile:

Latest