Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Oh ofc! Everyone gets at least one more interview at another college.
    I know you were originally talking about maths, but to be clear this isn't true of all subjects!

Many subjects will only arrange interviews with one college to start with, but you might be asked to attend another set at another college for a variety of reasons. Others do however give interviews at another college as a matter of course. It's completely down to the department, there's no real standard procedure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    Is it good or bad news if you get an interview at a college other than the one youve applied to, in addition to your preferred college? Also, is it possible to get one interview only from a college you haven't applied to?
    Neither and no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    Is it good or bad news if you get an interview at a college other than the one youve applied to, in addition to your preferred college? Also, is it possible to get one interview only from a college you haven't applied to?
    (Original post by Eux)
    Neither and no
    Actually, yes it's definitely possible to be reallocated to a different college prior to interview if a college is particularly oversubscribed. I believe its done randomly though, so isn't worth reading into if it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by or17)
    Hi I have applied to Jesus college to read French and History, how are you preparing for the HAT / MLAT?
    Hi! I've applied for the same course, but at ChCh. For the tests, I'm studying mainly the subjunctive and special/irregular grammatical constructions (MLAT) and then doing specimen papers (HAT). I'm also looking through my old history textbook to get a sense of broad historical trends and patterns. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the TSA on here?? Just wondering is the oxford TSA section 1 same as the cambridge TSA? (Just wondering if it's worth trying those if I run out of the Oxford ones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    Actually, yes it's definitely possible to be reallocated to a different college prior to interview if a college is particularly oversubscribed. I believe its done randomly though, so isn't worth reading into if it happens.
    I'm sorry but that can't be true else it defeats the whole point of being able to choose a college. Everyone who applies to a certain college and is called to interview is guaranteed an interview at the college they applied to at the very minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....
    This made me chuckle I got to the point where I don't even want to get an offer but just at least an interview so that I know that my efforts weren't pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    I'm sorry but that can't be true else it defeats the whole point of being able to choose a college. Everyone who applies to a certain college and is called to interview is guaranteed an interview at the college they applied to at the very minimum.
    See the second to last paragraph in this report from Keble (chemistry): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...dback/chem2014

And for geography (second page): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...dback/geog2014

It happens!

If they didn't reallocate, some college tutors would be overburdened and candidates wouldn't get the attention they deserve at interview, or wouldn't get asked to interview when they might've applying to other colleges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    See the second to last paragraph in this report from Keble (chemistry): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...dback/chem2014

And for geography (second page): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...dback/geog2014

It happens!

If they didn't reallocate, some college tutors would be overburdened and candidates wouldn't get the attention they deserve at interview, or wouldn't get asked to interview when they might've applying to other colleges
    Apologies, i stand corrected. People must be gutted if that happens to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Actually, that is wrong. Each college looks at their applicants (including the ones assigned from open applications), pull out the ones that they want to interview up to 3x the number of places that they have for that subject, and the rest are pooled. In most (all?) subjects, all of the applicants are reviewed by subject before or during the pooling process. Every year around 30% of applicants are pooled before interview to another college. If you are pooled, you interview at the college to which you are pooled (you can also be interviewed at other college(s) during interview week).

That's why people on TSR say don't stress too much about applying to a given college- b/c you may end up pooled elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    Actually, that is wrong. Each college looks at their applicants (including the ones assigned from open applications), pull out the ones that they want to interview up to 3x the number of places that they have for that subject, and the rest are pooled. In most (all?) subjects, all of the applicants are reviewed by subject before or during the pooling process. Every year around 30% of applicants are pooled before interview to another college. If you are pooled, you interview at the college to which you are pooled (you can also be interviewed at other college(s) during interview week).

That's why people on TSR say don't stress too much about applying to a given college- b/c you may end up pooled elsewhere.
    (Original post by Eux)
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    ...not as gutted as the ones who don't get an interview offer!

And, people have been pooled to colleges that they see as 'better' than their original one.

More importantly, I don't know anyone who was pooled (who got an offer) that didn't end up being very happy with their college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    ^^
    obviously typing too slowly & cross posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    ...not as gutted as the ones who don't get an interview offer!

And, people have been pooled to colleges that they see as 'better' than their original one.

More importantly, I don't know anyone who was pooled (who got an offer) that didn't end up being very happy with their college.
    Yeah thats one thing everyone says. I guess Oxford is Oxford either way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    Im applying for medicine as well! what college did you apply to?
    Christ Church what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows if I can submit report cards while submitting written work ?

ReputationRep:
    Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....
    OMG that is literally me. I am seriously losing hope. :'( :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janinns)
    Yes, I finally got an e-mail from them. I am an international student so I believe our grading systems are way too different.
    However, If you are interested, my school leaving exams subjects are: History (in English), Civic education (combination of philosophy, politics and economics), English language and my maternity language. I am predicted to accomplish my school leaving exams on straight As (more precisely it could be seen as A*s). What about you?
    That's cool! Hahaha, no worries, I don't mean to pry. I just think it's nice to meet people with similar goals . I did the IB and got 38 7-6-6 (equivalent to A*AA I think?). But I'm retaking an exam and hope to get something in the low 40s (out of 45). I also did History (probably my favourite subject), although civic education looks very interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    Awh, good luck ! What are you applying for ?
    Thanks, good luck to you too (and may the odds be ever in our favor ). PPE, you?

ReputationRep:

See? You're already one step above us, mate.

I'm in denial right now, pretending that November 4th is months away or, even better, that we'll just skip it this year...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.