Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    320 UCAS tariff points. Typically gained from 'A' Level grades ABB or BBB plus an 'AS' Level.

That's what it says under requirements for the course on UCAS, but I'm not sure if this is the usual requirements or if they've updated this information for Clearing, as I didn't apply to City initially
    Oh wow - last year sure they wanted the highest grades A*AA or something - but just checked their website and for 2016 entry its showing 320 points so that must be their standard offer now.

Did you apply anywhere this year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my city offer was A*AA!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Hi

Don't know how lenient they are for sure but when I applied for SLT last year and looked at the previous years thread (so 2013?) sure someone got in with AAB or ABB - something like that anyway (don't City have very high requirements initially?)

Surprised to see Sheffield on the list too along with Marjon. Strathclyde and City I am less surprised about.
    Each university will obviously have different numbers of places, some might only have 1. I think some unis predict that they might not have enough insurance offers, so opt to go into Clearing just in case. Some might have waiting lists though, so hope's not lost if your preferred Clearing uni disappears quickly.

I'm not surprised about Marjon tbh, it's such a small uni which is not in the city centre, it's not everyone's cup of tea. DMU isn't a surprise either.

ReputationRep:
    My huge connections have informed me that Sheffield is in clearing because they've managed to secure some additional funding. This could all be a rumour but my source is usually pretty accurate They've done their usual trick of moving all the people who failed to meet their offers onto the non-clinical course as well.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone (and consider Sheffield if you find yourself in clearing, it's great!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow - last year sure they wanted the highest grades A*AA or something - but just checked their website and for 2016 entry its showing 320 points so that must be their standard offer now.

Did you apply anywhere this year?
    When I applied to Marjon in 2010, their standard offer was BBC, now it's ABB. They go up all the time, especially on courses with high drop out rates. They want to encourage people to do their research before applying, rather than having people see a middle of the road entry requirement and think it's a soft option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Each university will obviously have different numbers of places, some might only have 1. I think some unis predict that they might not have enough insurance offers, so opt to go into Clearing just in case. Some might have waiting lists though, so hope's not lost if your preferred Clearing uni disappears quickly.

I'm not surprised about Marjon tbh, it's such a small uni which is not in the city centre, it's not everyone's cup of tea. DMU isn't a surprise either.
    City being there hasn't surprised me - I believe its quite a big course and has been in clearing for at least the last two years. Birmingham was in there last year. Sheffield being in this year has surprised me and its a smaller intake like Marjon is. I think the DMU option might be self funded - it has something peculiar after the title on the clearing list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskimok1)
    Yeah my city offer was A*AA!!
    Lol - did you apply this year for 2015 admission?

Or have you just finished first year?

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to Marjon in 2010, their standard offer was BBC, now it's ABB. They go up all the time, especially on courses with high drop out rates. They want to encourage people to do their research before applying, rather than having people see a middle of the road entry requirement and think it's a soft option.
    I was just expressing surprise in such a drop in entry requirements that's all. I think the entry requirements should be quite high due to the content of the course so would agree that BBC is too low.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping that everyone gets the grades that they need and get a place at their 1st choice.

ReputationRep:
    City being there hasn't surprised me - I believe its quite a big course and has been in clearing for at least the last two years. Birmingham was in there last year. Sheffield being in this year has surprised me and its a smaller intake like Marjon is. I think the DMU option might be self funded - it has something peculiar after the title on the clearing list.
    I noticed that too, something like 'non-commissioned' next to it - I have no idea what that means. As far as I know, NHS courses or courses resulting in HCPC registration don't have a self-funding option, unless that's changed recently.

EDIT: it says in the course description that 'this course isn't eligible for NHS bursaries and is not eligible for NHS funding'. I'm really surprised that they are offering this as an option, considering that the NHS usually stipulate how many SLTs are needed regionally, and calculate the uni places offered based on that.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that too, something like 'non-commissioned' next to it - I have no idea what that means. As far as I know, NHS courses or courses resulting in HCPC registration don't have a self-funding option, unless that's changed recently.
    Reckon they must have the option to admit self funding applicants though - there are some international applicants that take the course (and surely they are not funded by the NHS). If I remember rightly one uni this year had its places cut down as they had to overshot it last year and had to admit too many but cant think which one it was.

Still its a weird one - the non commissioned tag I mean!

ReputationRep:
    Reckon they must have the option to admit self funding applicants though - there are some international applicants that take the course (and surely they are not funded by the NHS). If I remember rightly one uni this year had its places cut down as they had to overshot it last year and had to admit too many but cant think which one it was.

Still its a weird one - the non commissioned tag I mean!
    That's true, I hadn't thought of international applicants. But to have it listed as a totally separate course is a bit odd. I remember when I applied in 2009 just before results day I asked if I could self-fund, and they flatly said 'no, there's no facility for us to do that'. Interesting how that's changed. I think people who get on the course that way (if they aren't international) would be pretty envious of those who get their fees paid.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow everyone - here's to hoping we get a place on a SLT course. First choice would be grand, but I'll settle for my insurance - it's still a speech therapy!
    Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wishing everyone good luck! I hope you all get the grades you need and/or get a place!

*fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    That's true, I hadn't thought of international applicants. But to have it listed as a totally separate course is a bit odd. I remember when I applied in 2009 just before results day I asked if I could self-fund, and they flatly said 'no, there's no facility for us to do that'. Interesting how that's changed. I think people who get on the course that way (if they aren't international) would be pretty envious of those who get their fees paid.
    I'm sure DMU said something about maybe offering non-funded places when I went to interview. I'm not 100% sure though, so don't quote me on it (I might have misheard/misunderstood - wouldn't put it past me!!!). But I'm sure I do remember something being said.

And I think DMU also had too many students last year, hence why they started interviewing this year. Again, don't quote me on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would think that maybe universities do take international students but they definitely wouldn't get the NHS funding because it's certainly stated to cover only UK/EU students - but for international students maybe they're looking at space if they had room to accommodate them even without an NHS funded space?

Like the university would have a specific amount of NHS funded spaces and then if they had some room to manoeuvre allocate to international/fee paying students?

I'm sure DMU said something as well about non-funded spaces or international student interviews can't recall..but I didn't se the SLT course on their clearing page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiramisuGoomba)
    I would think that maybe universities do take international students but they definitely wouldn't get the NHS funding because it's certainly stated to cover only UK/EU students - but for international students maybe they're looking at space if they had room to accommodate them even without an NHS funded space?

Like the university would have a specific amount of NHS funded spaces and then if they had some room to manoeuvre allocate to international/fee paying students?

I'm sure DMU said something as well about non-funded spaces or international student interviews can't recall..but I didn't se the SLT course on their clearing page.
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone! Just a quick question: do mature students also hear if the have an unconditional place or not tomorrow as well? Even if we aren't waiting on results just on the number of NHS places that were offered and if we were successful or not? Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jredwards21)
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone! Just a quick question: do mature students also hear if the have an unconditional place or not tomorrow as well? Even if we aren't waiting on results just on the number of NHS places that were offered and if we were successful or not? Thank you in advance!
    I heard back from DMU last week but I am not sure about other unis. I know that a few others heard back from DMU too but not sure if they were all mature students. I am a mature student too.

Good luck everyone! This whole UK uni application system is totally new to me. Seems way more stressful than what I have experienced but then we don't have A levels where I am from...

ReputationRep:
    I was just expressing surprise in such a drop in entry requirements that's all. I think the entry requirements should be quite high due to the content of the course so would agree that BBC is too low.

EDIT: it says in the course description that 'this course isn't eligible for NHS bursaries and is not eligible for NHS funding'. I'm really surprised that they are offering this as an option, considering that the NHS usually stipulate how many SLTs are needed regionally, and calculate the uni places offered based on that.
    At the interview day they said they were looking into offering none NHS funded but accredited places so they could increase the size of their cohort because they believe they deserve more than 25 or something along those lines.. I assume that's what they've decided to do because it wasn't in clearing when I enquired a couple of days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimair)
    I'm sure DMU said something about maybe offering non-funded places when I went to interview. I'm not 100% sure though, so don't quote me on it (I might have misheard/misunderstood - wouldn't put it past me!!!). But I'm sure I do remember something being said.

And I think DMU also had too many students last year, hence why they started interviewing this year. Again, don't quote me on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^completely right about the non-funded courses, they said it was an option they were looking into doing so they must be trailing it - tbh I would be so peeved if I had to self fund while everyone else was paid for.

I dunno about the interview tho, they said it was because it was the first year dmu would allow them too interview or something like that or they'd had a lot of drop outs and wanted to ensure they got the right people. Don't quote me on that one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.