Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    not yet. does anyone know when they heard last year?
    They came out on the 17th last year but some went out last week for this year. There is an A101 thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3636293

ReputationRep:
    Interview at Kings with my 720 ukcat. Was convinced it was too low!!!

ReputationRep:
    Interview at kings with 720

ReputationRep:
    has anyone else applied to Birmingham?
    I have, haven't heard anything yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but does selection centre mean the same thing as an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzleLight)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but does selection centre mean the same thing as an interview?
    Effectively yes, they invite to selection centre for MMI, providibg you are talking about Warwick

ReputationRep:
    has anyone else applied to Birmingham?
    I have, they outright rejected me about 3 weeks ago. So not hearing anything is a good sign! I'm not too bothered though as my GAMSAT is decent and I'm most keen on Notts anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I'll be awaiting my rejection soon then haha!
    Not necessarily, i think they send thrm out in batches, stay positive!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused because a girl I know said she applied to Leicester graduate entry medicine- I thought they closed down their graduate medicine programme as of 2016??

ReputationRep:
    Interview at Kings! 717.5 Band 2. In shock still. Someone hold me.

ReputationRep:
    Long time lurker on this thread. This might sound like a stupid question and I imagine there is only going to be one answer: what is the dress code for medical school interviews? Got an interview for Southampton and would probably expect a few more so I guess I'm going to have to invest in a suit, despite them looking terrible on me (too broad shouldered and thick in the arms).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if graduates stand a better chance of getting an interview/offer at undergrad rather than grad entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Long time lurker on this thread. This might sound like a stupid question and I imagine there is only going to be one answer: what is the dress code for medical school interviews? Got an interview for Southampton and would probably expect a few more so I guess I'm going to have to invest in a suit, despite them looking terrible on me (too broad shouldered and thick in the arms).
    I'm going to wear a suit and tie (including to Southampton interview in a few weeks!) I wear one most days for work at the moment so it's not a huge deal. I thought about something less formal but think for guys it really should be a suit (if not necessarily tie). For anyone who interviewed last year or just knows - any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kantayya)
    I'm going to wear a suit and tie (including to Southampton interview in a few weeks!) I wear one most days for work at the moment so it's not a huge deal. I thought about something less formal but think for guys it really should be a suit (if not necessarily tie). For anyone who interviewed last year or just knows - any thoughts?
    I agree - it said on one of the Kings info sheets they sent us that it's a smart dress code. They copied a bit from the dress code for Guys hospital, and said as you're hoping to be a doctor you're expect to dress as a doctor*. Ie, wear a suit.

*I don't think they're expecting you to tuck your tie in and be bare below the elbow, though!

ReputationRep:
    Scrubs are probably a no go too. 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisagee10)
    Scrubs are probably a no go too. 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And maybe leave the stethoscope-necklace look for another day, haha!

ReputationRep:
    Darn it, I'll have to rethink my outfit now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. As I feared then.

To the other poster, as far as I'm aware it is easier to get an interview for a five year course especially in terms of UKCAT scores. Although I'm not sure the probability of turning an interview into an offer is significantly higher for the five year course in a lot of cases.

ReputationRep:
    Off to hunt for in interview outfit tomorrow afternoon. Am absolutely bricking it about the interview. Not even so much not getting in but getting in. I can see me having to resort to Future Finance to pay for it and never being able to afford a mortgage.

I know getting a loan to pay for medical school is selfish. But going to medical school as a graduate is selfish in and of itself. You have to give up 4, 5, or 6 years of your life to study. Then add in your F1 and F2 years. And a round of up to 4 - 12 years of further training, education and exams (and a lot of money for those exams). Some would say getting into medicine is the easy part.

From what I know by spending a lot of time with junior doctors is your partners, children, family and friends better get used to not seeing much of you as you embark on lots of nights, working weekends and the dreaded on-call rota. Days off spent studying or even working anyway.

And yet none of this diminishes my desire to be a doctor. None of the negative comments from doctors and nurses have put me off. None of the "if I had my time over again I would not do Medicine" lectures have put me off. To the previous poster who had been put off by these shadowing experiences then I would say that medicine is not for you. But for those of us who see all the crap that comes with the job and really do still want it then I guess it is for us. And that makes us really selfish. But the selfish part of my brain doesn't care.

Sorry that got a bit rant heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Have sent my confirmation of degree (2:1) to Exeter. I just received the email from Derby today with the confirmation of classification. I am so happy with having the 2:1 in nursing as my 2:2 in Psychology limited my choices. It is hard to find places who will accept a second degree (Non Masters and PHD) which will allow you to apply.

Have been working as a nurse for 3 years but my shadowing experience was years ago. I am now reading everyones shadowing experiences on here and it is putting the frighteners in me that I just don't have enough. Certainly not enough that I can prove. And I have not cycled round loads of specialities like some have. I guess I relied too much on my nursing experience to get me through.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.