Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I think the last thing you want is for your bank to be interesting. If anything about my bank makes my heart rate rise something has gone horribly wrong.
    That awkward moment when payments don't process quickly and one day you're 300 quid down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Can we not merge the two together?
    I think it's usual to have seperate Fresher's Thread.

e.g. 2015 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3502469

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 124375)
    Hi everyone!
    I haven't actually seen my college yet and they don't have any upcoming open days so do you think they'd let me have a look around it in the holidays just for a short bit to see the accommodation and stuff with my parents or would this be weird? Thanks and congrats to all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes - you can look around all the public areas (but not accomodation) just by asking a porter at the gate and explaining you will be coming to college in Oct.

If you want to see accomodation try calling the admissions dept and arrange a guided tour. It shouldn't be a problem. The reason why accomodation can be a litlle more complicated is because the rooms are used for conferences and summer schools during vacation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I haven't actually seen my college yet and they don't have any upcoming open days so do you think they'd let me have a look around it in the holidays just for a short bit to see the accommodation and stuff with my parents or would this be weird? Thanks and congrats to all!
    If you ask the porters they will let you have a look around. Not sure whether you'll get to look at bedrooms given they may be in use for corporate events but you should be able to see all of the "public" areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    If you ask the porters they will let you have a look around. Not sure whether you'll get to look at bedrooms given they may be in use for corporate events but you should be able to see all of the "public" areas.
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I reply properly.

(Original post by Axiomara)
    what banks are interesting for internationals
    Cam's riverbanks, during Bumps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    :five:
    Great minds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Ok, I reply properly.

Cam's riverbanks, during Bumps.
    You're in top form :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    You're in top form :rofl:

Though my reply is not quite accurate as you don't have to be international for it to be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    So if I already have a bank account, do I have to get a student bank account as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizbox)
    So if I already have a bank account, do I have to get a student bank account as well?
    You don't have to.

But there are benefits (cheap overdraft, etc) and you can have more than one current account...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweo)
    Any thoughts on what maths we should be doing in the coming weeks before we arrive to be prepared for the tripos (more STEP? BMO? nothing? example sheets?)
    **** step.
    **** that ****.
    I would just get familiar with some content tbh. Or do nothing. Either will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Whizbox)
    Nah, but I'm opening an extra savings account alongside my current, for emergencies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweo)
    Any thoughts on what maths we should be doing in the coming weeks before we arrive to be prepared for the tripos (more STEP? BMO? nothing? example sheets?)
    You'll be sent a reading list but take some time to relax and get ready!

ReputationRep:
    How much stuff is normal to take to cambridge? I thought 2 suitcases(reasonably large) and a backpack would suffice but looking through Google searches it looks like I greatly underestimated it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much stuff is normal to take to cambridge? I thought 2 suitcases(reasonably large) and a backpack would suffice but looking through Google searches it looks like I greatly underestimated it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It'd all depend on individual, but with most colleges you are expected to bring your beddings (duvet, pillow, bed linens) which is the bulkiest thing you'll have to take/bring back home at the beginning/end of every term. Some colleges provide a pillow (if you don't mind using one that's been used by countless students for many years) and bed linens (often with extra charge that includes laundry cost usually every other week). All colleges have enough duvets/pillows to rent it to internationals and if they have some extra stock home students can borrow it. (With extra charge usually). I seem to remember there was one college that provide all beddings to all students, but I'm not 100% sure and can't remember which one it might be....

Also, you'll need to bring your own pot/pans & utensils and a set of basic tableware & cutleries, unless you're completely sure you won't prepare any meal yourself or planning to buy them in Cambridge. Even if you buy them in Cambridge, you'll probably have to take them home at the end of term and bring them back to Cambridge when a new term starts. Which goes to other stuff,too. You can be minimalist in taking stuff to Cambridge this autumn and buy what you need in Cambridge but you have to think of bring them back at the end if term as you're required to empty your room for holiday at most colleges.

Edit: just as a reference.....
    We drove M11 to take our daughter and her stuff to Cambridge for three years and we could often tell which cars are heading to the university as we could see the back seats of their car is packed with full of stuff and often with a bicycle tied on the roof or the back of car. and a student-looking young person sitting in a passenger seat.
    Some colleges offer some storage space for holiday period but it's usually very limited and never big enough to leave most of stuff during holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic_12345)
    Exactly, refresh game is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    still nothing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweo)
    still nothing?
    Still nothing ;( you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic_12345)
    Still nothing ;( you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same :/ I thought it'd update by today. But it's my birthday (!!!) so I'm gonna stop this obsessive refreshing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jweo)
    same :/ I thought it'd update by today. But it's my birthday (!!!) so I'm gonna stop this obsessive refreshing
    Lol, happy birthday!!! Have a great day; hopefully it'll update soon x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.