Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Can't be any worse than South Africa :rolleyes:

Anyway Qatar have a bottomless pit of money, I'm sure they'll come up with something.
    Someone said something about them air conditioining the stadiums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Addressing the hot climate, how so?

Has the Qatar FA got special magical powers to reduce the temperature and humidity to more manageable levels for the duration of the world cup event???

:cool:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatari_..._World_Cup_bid

(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    The hot weather will be dealt with inside the stadiums with the air conditioning, but what about outside? That heat, combined with alcohol, makes for some pretty unhealthy conditions in the vicinity of the stadium...
    I suppose but most people are complaining that football won't be playable. The weather being dealt with inside the stadiums at least means some football will be played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Yes Qatar do have a league. A lot of old professionals go there at the end of their career to pick up some more cash.
    Really? Anyway I'm not too fussed about going to Qatar for WC (if I ever do lol), I went to Dubai and it was great, so I guess Qatar isn't too bad.

Russia however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatari_..._World_Cup_bid

I suppose but most people are complaining that football won't be playable. The weather being dealt with inside the stadiums at least means some football will be played.
    Yeah, but unless you've got the cash for a nice hotel room, it seems the experience for the fans is going to consist of being herded into fan zones in sweltering heat prior to a game. Not ideal.

We'll see, with the amount of money being chucked at it I'm optimistic. I'll be 31 when it comes around, might even be able to make it along.

ReputationRep:
    It should be about who is best equipped to host the tournament, and not "everybody gets a turn". What has Qatar ever done for football? I'm actually losing interest in international football; it's so corrupt and it's no longer about football. I'm pretty sure their bid was declared "high risk" a while back.

I could moan about why England should get it, but it's already been done. I'm just gutted. And disappointed. And angry.

ReputationRep:
    The compare the meerkat guy better be mascot!

ReputationRep:
    Qatar 2022? :eek:
    So from

and

to

That's going to do well for viewing figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Qatar 2022? :eek:
    That's going to do well for viewing figures.
    To be fair who tunes in to see girls with little on?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Here is the Foreign Office's guidance for travelling to Qatar.

It is a punishable offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Offenders may incur a prison sentence or deportation. Alcohol is, however, available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. You should not carry alcohol with you, including in your car (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).

You should dress modestly when in public, including whilst driving. Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts. You should behave courteously at all times. Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest. Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Qatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Yeah, but unless you've got the cash for a nice hotel room, it seems the experience for the fans is going to consist of being herded into fan zones in sweltering heat prior to a game. Not ideal.

We'll see, with the amount of money being chucked at it I'm optimistic. I'll be 31 when it comes around, might even be able to make it along.
    Yeah that's not ideal but a lot of moment is being chucked into it, it's not the joke that many people are making it out to be. Stunning stadia too:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    Sorry, what does that have to do with anything?

1. The World Cup isn't just "in Rio", it's all over the country.
    2. There are places in probably every country that you wouldn't wave a purse around in. England included. I have been more scared to walk through Sheffield at night than where I live in Brazil.
    3. If you're stupid enough to go to the rougher Favelas in Rio de Janeiro and wave around you money, then it's your own idiocy that is to blame if you're robbed!

I just think it's a wide misconception about how terribly rough the country is. Sure, there are poor areas, as there are in almost every country in the world, but you don't HAVE to go there, and no; I don't live in Rio.
    Yes but most people going to the world cup will be in Rio for the duration or for at least some part of the tournament thus making it's levels of crime relevant. If the world cup were to be held in England foreign fans wouldn't be coming over to stay in Grimsby would they, they'd be in London.

Rio is well known for it's high levels of crimes committed by the people that come from the favelas.

These are just some snippets of what our government advises for tourists visiting Brazil.

Levels of crime and violence are high, particularly in major cities. You should be particularly vigilant before and during the festive and Carnival periods, as there is often a seasonal upsurge in robberies around this time. Remain alert and aware of local conditions at all times.

The Rio carnival is seen as the worst time for criminal activity, what's it going to be like during the world cup?

Violence and crime can occur anywhere and often involve firearms or other weapons. You should be extra vigilant, particularly in major cities. You are advised to dress down, avoid wearing jewellery and expensive watches, and only carry small sums of money. Conceal mobile phones and cameras. You should be ready to hand over your valuables if threatened; do not attempt to resist attackers as they will often use their weapons, particularly if under the influence of drugs. Safeguard valuables at all times, including your passport.

Obviously there are some great parts of Brazil and it's a country worth a visit but a major tournament hosted there with all it's problems is asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyyouthere)
    Yes but most people going to the world cup will be in Rio for the duration or for at least some part of the tournament thus making it's levels of crime relevant. If the world cup were to be held in England foreign fans wouldn't be coming over to stay in Grimsby would they, they'd be in London.

Rio is well known for it's high levels of crimes committed by the people that come from the favelas.

These are just some snippets of what our government advises for tourists visiting Brazil.

Levels of crime and violence are high, particularly in major cities. You should be particularly vigilant before and during the festive and Carnival periods, as there is often a seasonal upsurge in robberies around this time. Remain alert and aware of local conditions at all times.

The Rio carnival is seen as the worst time for criminal activity, what's it going to be like during the world cup?

Violence and crime can occur anywhere and often involve firearms or other weapons. You should be extra vigilant, particularly in major cities. You are advised to dress down, avoid wearing jewellery and expensive watches, and only carry small sums of money. Conceal mobile phones and cameras. You should be ready to hand over your valuables if threatened; do not attempt to resist attackers as they will often use their weapons, particularly if under the influence of drugs. Safeguard valuables at all times, including your passport.

Obviously there are some great parts of Brazil and it's a country worth a visit but a major tournament hosted there with all it's problems is asking for trouble.
    You're talking to someone who's actually living in Brazil. STFU. :pierre:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Here is the Foreign Office's guidance for travelling to Qatar.

It is a punishable offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Offenders may incur a prison sentence or deportation. Alcohol is, however, available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. You should not carry alcohol with you, including in your car (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).

You should dress modestly when in public, including whilst driving. Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts. You should behave courteously at all times. Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest. Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Qatar.
    http://english.alrroya.com/content/q...tend-world-cup

ReputationRep:
    I love how people are blaming Panorama and other things.

Has anyone not noticed how wealthy the two winning countries are

1. Russia

2. Qatar - obviously had their bid funded by very wealthy Arabs

It just shows FIFA for what they really are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    You're talking to someone who's actually living in Brazil. STFU. :pierre:
    Yeah you're right. The government probably makes up those warnings for funnies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    I don't think Russia will get it, Gladmir Putin isn't even there... shows their commitment to it. Good on England, Prince William
    lol, it's all behind the scenes don't you know?

---

I think it would be terrible in Russia (too cold).

ReputationRep:
    Still wouldn't travel there. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    It is apparant that the excellent presentatiuon made no difference, the dicision was already made according to other criteria. Finger pointing within England is pointless.

There is now a mood in England summarised by this song:

There's no time for us
    There's no place for us
    What is this thing that builds our dreams yet slips away
    From us

Who wants to live forever
    Who wants to live forever....?

There's no chance for us
    Its all decided for us
    This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us

Who wants to live forever?

Who dares to love forever?
    When love must die

But touch my tears with your lips
    Touch my world with your fingertips
    And we can have forever
    And we can love forever
    Forever is our today
    Who wants to live forever?
    Forever is our today

Who waits forever anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people saying Russia will be too cold. Anyone remember the heatwave Moscow had this summer, 40 degrees plus?

The smog will be so thick they'll have to use coloured balls. That is until the locals get hold of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.