Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Yeah - I guess it comes with going to university. I recently discovered 'Boost' as a much cheaper version to Red Bull, so I can imagine growing very close to that.

I was wondering whether to bring a car - because I'll be living in Nixon, won't need it for lectures, but perhaps for gym later in the day?
    Uni's just bought this a gym about 5 mins from Nixon, you'll walk past it to lectures everyday: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports-recreation/usc

Unless you have a burning desire for a full 25m rather than 20m swimming pool I wouldn't bother. If you plan on doing any sport which is up at Oadby/Stoughton (hockey, football, rugby etc.) then I'd just get a bike. It's about a 20 minute ride and saves you a bomb on petrol and a parking permit.

I'd say hold fire on bringing a car until you're a clinical, it's just expensive and not that useful as everything's pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Uni's just bought this a gym about 5 mins from Nixon, you'll walk past it to lectures everyday: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports-recreation/usc

Unless you have a burning desire for a full 25m rather than 20m swimming pool I wouldn't bother. If you plan on doing any sport which is up at Oadby/Stoughton (hockey, football, rugby etc.) then I'd just get a bike. It's about a 20 minute ride and saves you a bomb on petrol and a parking permit.

I'd say hold fire on bringing a car until you're a clinical, it's just expensive and not that useful as everything's pretty close.
    That's pretty awesome actually - if I'm living at Nixon, will I have to fork out the £250 for the bus pass?

I'll leave the car then actually - you know the gym they're buying, is the weights section there decent?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty awesome actually - if I'm living at Nixon, will I have to fork out the £250 for the bus pass?

I'll leave the car then actually - you know the gym they're buying, is the weights section there decent?
    Def don't bother with the bus pass, unless maybe you start going out with some up at Oadby you won't be going there anywhere near enough to justify it.

It used to be a Nuffield so I'm guessing so, people paid 25 quid a month for it. Guy I knew used to go and he was wedge so I figure he coughed up because the weights section was decent. There's a photo of the weights room here and it looks alright, so long as there's some bars and dumbbells out of shot somewhere.

http://www.nuffieldhealth.com/gyms/Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Def don't bother with the bus pass, unless maybe you start going out with some up at Oadby you won't be going there anywhere near enough to justify it.

It used to be a Nuffield so I'm guessing so, people paid 25 quid a month for it. Guy I knew used to go and he was wedge so I figure he coughed up because the weights section was decent. There's a photo of the weights room here and it looks alright, so long as there's some bars and dumbbells out of shot somewhere.

http://www.nuffieldhealth.com/gyms/Leicester
    Thanks a lot for that man - you have seriously helped me a lot with everything on here. Remind me to take you out and buy you an energy drink when I start in september

ReputationRep:
    Arrrgg, trying to apply for accomodation, and it keeps telling me that an unidentified error has occured

Think it might have something to do with me trying to put 3 choices in rather than 4 (I'm a postgrad, so I should be allowed to choose three).

Anyone know anything about The Grange? Thinking about putting it as a 4th choice so that I can just get the damn thing in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    Just accepted my offer for accom! Woo! Anyone else in Nixon Court? (I'm in block C!)
    Oh crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Oh crap.
    Haha! Why what's wrong?

I picked Nixon Court because it's close and it looks alright lol and tbh I'm not a fussy person, so I'm sure it'll be fine! And if it turns out to be awful, it's only for a year :P lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larsson)
    have you got an unconditional offer?

i thought they only gave accomodation out once you have your results...
    Yeah I've got an unconditional

ReputationRep:
    Ah I've applied for Nixon Court as my #1 choice- but haven't got an accommodation offer, nor does it say they're even processing my application yet.

My offer's unconditional - hope they get round to it soon.
    Got it yet? Would be cool to know someone before I get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    Got it yet? Would be cool to know someone before I get there!
    Unfortunately not yet - I just logged on and it still says 'submitted.'

Yeah it would be pretty sweet knowing someone nearby

ReputationRep:
    :woo:
    Just got an email - Nixon Court, block A

ReputationRep:
    Just got my accommodation offer - for some reason didn't get Nixon?

I got my second choice: John Foster Self Catered

Was hoping to be close to campus, but I guess it's not too bad.

ReputationRep:

does it say which block in John Foster that you got?

ReputationRep:

When did you apply for halls? Your second choice happens to be my first choice :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackMonster)
    does it say which block in John Foster that you got?
    Yeah it did say mate, I'll log on and then pm you.

(Original post by penguin610)
    When did you apply for halls? Your second choice happens to be my first choice :P
    I applied on the 16th of March - and you? I am really happy with it, just wasn't really expecting it, since I thought I'd get Nixon.

I just noticed you're a medic fresher as well - nice to meet you

ReputationRep:

I applied on the 16th of March - and you? I am really happy with it, just wasn't really expecting it, since I thought I'd get Nixon.

I just noticed you're a medic fresher as well - nice to meet you
    Ohh okie dokes, i applied last week and was wondering how long it would take for them to get back to me as well. yeah buddaaayyyy, nice to meet you too! undergrad/postgrad?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone hold conditional offer to apply accommodation? if you don't hold unconditional offer you won't get the email from accommodation until you meet the conditions?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gxy)
    Does anyone hold conditional offer to apply accommodation? if you don't hold unconditional offer you won't get the email from accommodation until you meet the conditions?:confused:
    For conditional firm holders -i think you apply for accommodation and then the office sort of reserves you a 'conditional' room. It's a first come, first serve basis. So in August when you guys meet your offers, they tell you which room you've been allocated.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    For conditional firm holders -i think you apply for accommodation and then the office sort of reserves you a 'conditional' room. It's a first come, first serve basis. So in August when you guys meet your offers, they tell you which room you've been allocated.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for your warm response
    I also hope what you said is true, otherwise it is hard to meet conditional offer holders' first choice because the room which they want to get will be allocated to unconditional offer holders.

BTW, nice to meet u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gxy)
    Thanks for your warm response
    I also hope what you said is true, otherwise it is hard to meet conditional offer holders' first choice because the room which they want to get will be allocated to unconditional offer holders.

BTW, nice to meet u!
    No worries - the accommodation office said it's a first come first serve basis, so conditional offer holders just have to apply as soon as possible and hope for the best. Have you sent your application off?

It's nice to meet you also

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.