Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    The appendix (Christopher's exam) represents the symbolic restoration of order to Christopher's world, can't think of much else other than that.

If I did get a question on symbolism, I'd most likely talk about how Christopher's condition dictates a simplistic and literal narrative, purposely void of symbolic ambiguity. I'd also say how his subject-object-verb pattern of speech, which you would expect to be hindering to the narrative is in fact integral to it.

I really want a good Ancient Mariner question for Part A... my cousin sat this exam three times before she got a decent grade, first time she got a U, second time she got a U, third time she got an A :eek:. I'm hoping to follow suit
    Hey I was wondering if you could help me with Ancient Mariner for Section A Part b, one of the AOs tested is AO4 - understanding of contextual factors with specific detailed links between conext/texts/task? Any ideas for this. I thought I'd just ask because you said you were hoping to do Ancient Mariner for Section A?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    i'm hoping setting will come up for section B... i don't think it has before? Am i right?

Also... does anyone know any points about symbolism in either Keats or Auden?

much apprieciated x

ReputationRep:
    HELP PLEASE!!

Ok so its what less less than 24 hours till the exam, and I just discovered I don't know anything about Frame in Enduring Love. Can anyone help?! Please reply Asap!

ReputationRep:
    I have this exam tomorrow, not read the books for a second time, not done any revision. :/ i just cant be bothered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petal247)
    HELP PLEASE!!

Ok so its what less less than 24 hours till the exam, and I just discovered I don't know anything about Frame in Enduring Love. Can anyone help?! Please reply Asap!
    less than 24 hours?
    less than 15 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessMxo)
    i'm hoping setting will come up for section B... i don't think it has before? Am i right?

Also... does anyone know any points about symbolism in either Keats or Auden?

much apprieciated x
    Yeah me too, I'm really hoping that setting will come up in section B!!!
    And nope it has not come up before and its on the specimen paper so fingers crossed

I'm doing Keats aswell, and don't have any points on symbolism either? I posted a comment about symbolism in Keats but no one has repled. What other texts are you doing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen_17)
    Hey I was wondering if you could help me with Ancient Mariner for Section A Part b, one of the AOs tested is AO4 - understanding of contextual factors with specific detailed links between conext/texts/task? Any ideas for this. I thought I'd just ask because you said you were hoping to do Ancient Mariner for Section A?

Cheers
    I'm not him, but I'm definetely doing TROTRAM for section A. Contextual factors basically include things like time period and beliefs and how that changes how people perceive things. In the rhime of the ancient mariner context would include things like religion, superstition and things like that. The part b question will be geared towards this, so I'll just include the common themes like religion and superstition and relate them to the question and why it might change the way one might view the said statement in a certain way during Coleridge's time period. You have to give arguments against and for, then come to a conclusion I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too, I'm really hoping that setting will come up in section B!!!
    And nope it has not come up before and its on the specimen paper so fingers crossed

I'm doing Keats aswell, and don't have any points on symbolism either? I posted a comment about symbolism in Keats but no one has repled. What other texts are you doing??
    I'm planning to do: Gatsby for Section A, and Keats, Auden and the Kite Runner for Section B. I know most about Gatsby & Kite Runner though! You?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how you would give different interpretations for Section B if Settings came up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petal247)
    HELP PLEASE!!

ABOUT FRAME!? PANICPANIC. What's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    I'm not him, but I'm definetely doing TROTRAM for section A. Contextual factors basically include things like time period and beliefs and how that changes how people perceive things. In the rhime of the ancient mariner context would include things like religion, superstition and things like that. The part b question will be geared towards this, so I'll just include the common themes like religion and superstition and relate them to the question and why it might change the way one might view the said statement in a certain way during Coleridge's time period. You have to give arguments against and for, then come to a conclusion I think.
    Thanks so much for that its been really helpful

So the specimen question was 'Is the ROTAM an exploration of the unconcsious mind'?
    Superstition - would that be about the supernatural like the Mariner seeing life and life in death in part III and his fear that living death awaits him?

Religion, I'm not sure how you could realte that with the unconcsious mind?

You could also speak about the Romantic movement when this poem was written Coleridge was considered on of the romantics - hope to the sight of reaching beyond what we are told and searching for a deeper meaning.

But I don't really understand how you would realte this to a section a part b question? Could you help me please?

ReputationRep:
    Btw : I think there is sexual symbollism in Keats, ie in the Eve Of St Agnes, when he 'he took her hollow lute' line 281

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessMxo)
    I'm planning to do: Gatsby for Section A, and Keats, Auden and the Kite Runner for Section B. I know most about Gatsby & Kite Runner though! You?
    Yeah i'm hoping to do Ancient Mariner for Section A and then Gatsby, Curious Incident and Keats for section B.

Good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for that its been really helpful

So the specimen question was 'Is the ROTAM an exploration of the unconcsious mind'?
    Superstition - would that be about the supernatural like the Mariner seeing life and life in death in part III and his fear that living death awaits him?

Religion, I'm not sure how you could realte that with the unconcsious mind?

You could also speak about the Romantic movement when this poem was written Coleridge was considered on of the romantics - hope to the sight of reaching beyond what we are told and searching for a deeper meaning.

But I don't really understand how you would realte this to a section a part b question? Could you help me please?
    For the question you mentioned I'd probably write something like it might be considered an exploration of the unconcious mind due to the superstition because superstition in itself does not depict the idea of a conscious mind. Then I'd counter argue and say something like, the people back then believed in superstitious beliefs more widely so it might be considered something concious by them, so it's something that cannot be applied to today's society.

You could say with the use of religion Coleridge depicts a concious message, in contrast to superstition because religion was widely believed, and stuff like that. You could also talk about the lessons the mariner seems to have learned in the endings. The fact he took something away from the experience shows his mind was concious...

Really, don't freak about it, question b), every question is different, and they each leave a lot of room for things you could talk about, it doesn't really matter how you interpret the question your points will almost always make some sense to the examiner. It's mostly just general knowledge and it depends on how interested you are in the poem and how much you understand its themes, you just have to apply your personal opinion, you can't really learn how to answer question b) from a script, that is why we hardly practiced it in class and the teacher just told us to read the text and form some interest.

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Write that it was published in Lyrical Ballads, written in the era of Romanticism and that many believe it to encapsulate the fundamental ideology of the literary Romanticists :dontknow:

Through the Mariner, the poem kept focus on the subjectivity of the individual although It did not follow the Romantic tendency to write in an unrhymed manner (which was popular with his contemporary readers), but the poem was still well received... Wordsworth altered the poem slightly, removing some of its archaic language... Can't remember why though.

(Sorry I'm not much help )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai)
    My post has no relevance to chapter 7 - aha, but i thought i'd just run over everything for you - although i know you will be completelyy fine

Section A (i)
    Your doing gatsby right - start your introduction basically saying why the chapter is important to the story as a whole (you get marks for form)

Then just try and do your entire essay with close textual analysis - use 'languagey' words "repetition, sibilance (the s sound) anaphora (repeating the begining of something) language of class, language of contrast ect" keep mentioning 'methods Fitzgerald uses' and try and explore them if you can. Remember to evaluate - whether the narrative methods make the story easy to understand.

Section A (ii)
    Remember different interpretations - feminism, marxism, psychoanalytical, modern, contemporary, scientific, cynical ect. For gatsby, i think marxism (class stuff) would be the best (even go as far as saying that in your response, your evaluating the interpretation) Try and link to context - you'll beee fine.

Section B
    If you read that post i made earlier - about the 6 point formula i use to write the response, remember its better to talk about 1 poem in detail than 2-3 with no real detail.

[I]Final Words of Wisdom ahah
    This goes out to everyone: Dont get too nervous; so nervous that your response seems forced and clumsy. Alot of us are retaking - so you'd like to think we know our texts fairly well by now. And the experience of sitting that exam in june will help us **** loads, in knowing how it feels to sit this exam tomorow. There is no set way to answer this paper - every teacher has different methods. BUT you just have to ensure your response matches the mark scheme. DONT FORGET ABOUT THE AO's - they are a little important aha.

Good Luck Everyone
    Aw thank you I shall try to remember your words of wisdom! But I am getting quite nervous, as much as I keep trying to calm myself down!

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR SETTING FOR ROSETTI/AUDEN. WAH

ReputationRep:
    if your saying half is hard :O my sixth form make us do both units together in june!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR SETTING FOR ROSETTI/AUDEN. WAH
    Ditto but with 'The Curious Incident of the...' and in specific 'AO3'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casio99)
    Ditto but with 'The Curious Incident of the...' and in specific 'AO3'
    You got anything about symbolism on the Curious Incident?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misssmarty)
    if your saying half is hard :O my sixth form make us do both units together in june!
    the other unit is coursework :lolwut:

Besides, the majority of us are resitting after doing it last june..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.