Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has mental illness affected your life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    As a matter of fact, yes. They didn't go around sleeveless with noticable scars... I was quite sheltered then.

I'm pretty sure they don't seeing as how theye don't know my situation, they don't know anything about me, my background, my reasons... They don't know a lot of things. I think I understand myself a hell of a lot better than your parents do, who don't even know me.

No, I've not tried them all because there are far too many. Distractions last when they're happening and perhaps a short while after but if I got the urge to self harm, it wouldn't go away. It would be in the back of my mind and ultimately, I'd do it a short while afterwards. The distraction would have to be on-going. That's just for me though, distractions work for some people.
    Again, your subconscious was aware of it (although I know you're lying about being consciously aware of it anyway). Also, they probably didn't go around blaring out their music, but you knew about that (inb4 'In my school they always played their music at full volume even in class').

I never said they were psychic, you complete and utter lower colon. You talk to the psychologist, then they know what's wrong with you. Can you not comprehend English. I never once claimed they had psychic abilities. And as much as you think you 'understand' yourself, you should remember that you're a human, with a brain, not an alien species yet to be scientifically studied. You have a brain, as do six billion people on the planet. You might like to imagine that you're different and unique, but the fact of the matter is that your brain acts the same as billions of others on the planets and so when you understand the 'typical' human brain, you understand the vastly overwhelming majority of human brains. And if you have depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, I'm pretty sure that my parents will know more about the depression and its effects on you, than you. Depression isn't going to have any special effects on you that it doesn't have on other people. You're just another person. Get over yourself.

Just stop replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unoriginal-)
    Again, your subconscious was aware of it (although I know you're lying about being consciously aware of it anyway). Also, they probably didn't go around blaring out their music, but you knew about that (inb4 'In my school they always played their music at full volume even in class').

I never said they were psychic, you complete and utter lower colon. You talk to the psychologist, then they know what's wrong with you. Can you not comprehend English. I never once claimed they had psychic abilities. And as much as you think you 'understand' yourself, you should remember that you're a human, with a brain, not an alien species yet to be scientifically studied. You have a brain, as do six billion people on the planet. You might like to imagine that you're different and unique, but the fact of the matter is that your brain acts the same as billions of others on the planets and so when you understand the 'typical' human brain, you understand the vastly overwhelming majority of human brains. And if you have depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, I'm pretty sure that my parents will know more about the depression and its effects on you, than you. Depression isn't going to have any special effects on you that it doesn't have on other people. You're just another person. Get over yourself.

Just stop replying.
    good choice on the username. Now suck my balls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unoriginal-)

Just stop replying.
    Why did you even quote me in the first place if all you're going to do is argue and call me a liar?

I never said your parents were psychic but you did say that your parents probably understand me more than I do and I was pointing out that they don't know me at all. I know my own thoughts, that is what I was trying to get across.

Besides, this thread is asking 'How has mental illness affected your life?' and I answered that question quite simply. I never started the argument with you, you chose to reply to my post. What exactly was your purpose for that anyway?

And I never said depression would have other affects on me than other people with depression, I simply said that (in other words) that without the FULL facts, which you don't have, you cannot understand. I stand by that point whether you choose to argue about it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you guys don't mind me asking but to the people here;
    Do you parents understand your mental health issues?
    I ask because my Dad does not at all, yet my mum does slightly..it's frustrating as my Dad feels there's nothing wrong with me...yet there is >.<. Yet when I try to tell them they brush it off! Gah!

Sorry, went on a rant there!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tasha~)
    I ask because my Dad does not at all, yet my mum does slightly..it's frustrating as my Dad feels there's nothing wrong with me...yet there is >.<. Yet when I try to tell them they brush it off! Gah!

My parents really didn't - and my dad still doesn't to an extent - but then things got so bad that they realised it wasn't just me being oversensitive. I was quite lucky: they took time to research things and try and figure out how to help... or rather how to leave me alone

On another note: am still off work sick. My boss got back from America over the weekend so we had a nice phone chat this morning. She still wants to keep me So we're cutting down my hours whenever I'm able to return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    My parents really didn't - and my dad still doesn't to an extent - but then things got so bad that they realised it wasn't just me being oversensitive. I was quite lucky: they took time to research things and try and figure out how to help... or rather how to leave me alone

On another note: am still off work sick. My boss got back from America over the weekend so we had a nice phone chat this morning. She still wants to keep me So we're cutting down my hours whenever I'm able to return
    I see what you mean, my Mother tends to ask me if I'm okay all the time, and my Dad just...well he just doesn't ask! Though I've been on my new antidepressants for a few months now and they've really really helped ^^!

Also, it's good that she wants to keep you and is helping you work out better hours !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's made me into this really cold and horrible person. I hate everyone and everything around me.

:console:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah,I've had depression/anxiety since I was twelve and I'm nearly seventeen now.I thought it all came to a head so to speak when I ended up in hospital after an overdose but I just bottled it up,I felt so ashamed and abnormal,I felt if others can handle life both good and bad,why cant I? I still feel like that. Every little failure,I beat myself up about it and promise to work harder and I end up having blowouts every few months,where I just cry.

ReputationRep:
    my Mother tends to ask me if I'm okay all the time
    The reason why I haven't told my mum about my depression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billo007)
    The reason why I haven't told my mum about my depression

I never told anyone for three years...it was awful, absolutley awful. When I first told my 'rents though they went mad at me...and she asked me if I thought I was losing my mind =|.

The most awkward thing to happen though was my Dad taking me for my Mental Health assessment! Luckily he never came into the room but you could tell he felt awkward about it! >.<

I see what you mean, my Mother tends to ask me if I'm okay all the time, and my Dad just...well he just doesn't ask!
    Is it just me that gets really uncomfortable when parents ask about this kind of stuff?

My mum asks every time she sees me about how the medication is going and I cringe and have to get out the conversation as quick as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me that gets really uncomfortable when parents ask about this kind of stuff?

My mum asks every time she sees me about how the medication is going and I cringe and have to get out the conversation as quick as possible.
    I get uncomfortable too...I tend to just tell her I'm "okay" considering she told the rest of my family (and so did my Aunt..) that I was on anti-depressants -.-. I wasn't too happy about that if I'm honest...

I also tend to just walk away after I've said "I'm okay" too!

ReputationRep:
    bipolar. don't handle it, just sort of live with it and go with the flow

i have not yet killed myself, that's always a good sign

OR IS IT? WOE.

no but seriously... i don't handle it. i don't have coping strategies. or anything like that. it's bad, i should probably
    I read a book on bipolar. This lady she has it and she describes everything so well and shes succesful too like an entertainment lawyer she represented MJ at some point.

She describes mainly the mania.

It's not one of them boring "reading out of a DSMIV " kinda books its intriguing even if you now everything there is to know about bipolar.

I think it'd be good for you. It made me less afraid of my extreme moods.

:console: xx

ReputationRep:

I think my father has some insight, but is rather unaware of just how bad my anxiety can get.

Quick question: How long does it normally take to get a response to an "urgent" CMHT referral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I think my father has some insight, but is rather unaware of just how bad my anxiety can get.

Quick question: How long does it normally take to get a response to an "urgent" CMHT referral?
    *nods* My Dad just doesn't really understand :s, oh well eh.
    Also, I'm not sure sorry, but I presume if it's urgent then it won't be the month-long waiting lists? Sorry I'm not too sure though!

ReputationRep:
    can i ask what happened when everyone went to the dr's and got diagnosed... what did they tell you and what happened after?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I got a phonecall the following day, to arrange an appointment within two weeks IIRC. Not sure if that's standard practice or not and it was just before Christmas, hence the two weeks thing :yes:

ReputationRep:
    *nods* My Dad just doesn't really understand :s, oh well eh.
    Also, I'm not sure sorry, but I presume if it's urgent then it won't be the month-long waiting lists? Sorry I'm not too sure though!
    Oh well. I can't stop thinking about it =/

I've not had any sort of phonecall and I saw my GP on Saturday. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It took them two days for me.

(Original post by wannabeteacher)
    can i ask what happened when everyone went to the dr's and got diagnosed... what did they tell you and what happened after?
    Sorry this is obscenely long

depression

I got up the courage to go to my GP and I sat and cried at him for AGES, like it was meant to be a 15 minute appointment but he just talked to me for about 45 minutes. He made me do a questionnaire and was like :eek: 'Well you're not making it up, you're severely depressed.' He then prescribed me fluoxetine and put me on the waiting list for therapy.
    Then I picked up the prescription, didn't take it because I was scared to but told my sister I'd been to the doctor. Then my sister blurted it out to my mum when my mum made her angry in a 'Your daughter is depressed and you don't even know' sort of way and my mum went mad, told me I was fine, flushed my prescription down the toliet and threatened to sue the doctor. I didn't bother going back again and my depression got worse. Then one morning, my sister gave me call when I should have been in school and asked how I was, I don't even think I answered when she asked. Next thing I knew I was talking to an NHS direct person threatening to call an ambulance to pick me up if I didn't go in to my local hospital because I was suicidal and home alone even though I told her I was fine. So I ended up staying in hospital overnight and they made me see a Psychiatrist. I was 'urgently refferred' to CAMHS and then I had an appointment and saw them for about a year and a few months.

I was officially diagnosed when I was 15/16? But I only got treatment when I was 16/coming up to 17.

Anorexia
    I was signed up with CAMHS and because a symptom of my depression was lack of appetite and I'd never really had an appetite anyway, I pretty much unconsciously stopped eating. I got weighed like usual and my Psychiatrist was really alarmed because I'd lost loads of weight and I was underweight to begin with.
    I was like 'meh'. My doctor told my mum that she had to make me eat and that's when things started going wrong. Because I hadn't been eating for a while, my stomach had shrunk and so I couldn't physically eat that much. My mum kept making me eat things like pizza and risotto and I remember crying because it was hurting me and it felt mentally 'wrong' for me to be eating after spending so long not eating.

Then I started feeling guilty for eating and I felt like I was going to throw up after eating so I couldn't deal with it (I have a fear of vomiting) and just avoided food and told my doctors they were trying to make me feel like crap because eating was making me feel so guilty I wanted to die even more and I felt happier when I didn't eat- notice the word fat didn't come into it. Then my doctor was like 'You do realise it's not normal to feel guilty after eating?' and I was like 'I don't care, just please don't make me eat, I can't.'

Then it was round that time that he mentioned anorexia and I was like :lolwut: and I remember saying that I was too fat to be anorexic and that I wasn't even thin so I couldn't be but he said my weight had slipped into the anorexic weight band. I was in total denial, but still not eating and my weight was falling. Then I got terrified of gaining weight because I thought I looked normal at my anorexic weight and I figured I must have looked obese at my original weight so then I stopped drinking water, only drank low calorie hot chocolate, obsessively weighed myself to make sure I didn't gain and then had to keep losing weight to make sure that I wouldn't be close to my weight before and I wanted to be smaller and smaller until I disappeared. At that point I was 17 and getting close to 18 and CAMHS had been wondering what to do with me so they urgently referred me to the local Eating Disorder Services. I had an assessment there and they diagnosed me with restrictive anorexia and I laughed at my doctor saying she was an idiot because I was fine. Then I had a few weeks as an outpatient where I screamed at my dietician for trying to make me eat an apple (I was a crazy horrible *****!) and then I was hospitalised because my liver was (apparently) failing. I'm still convinced they were lying to me, I don't trust them, they'd do anything to screw me over.

So here I am obese (or feeling like I am) at my original weight, even more miserable than I was when I was suicidally depressed and actually *feeling* anorexic now, as opposed to a normal person who just doesn't eat much. Except now I'm on a mental tightrope because my brain is killing me with the need to feel better and the only way I know to do that is through not eating but my body keeps making me feel like I'm going to faint if I don't eat and I can't afford to deal with my body going mad as well as my brain this year of all years. So now I just pretend to my doctor that I'm doing SO well because I'm huge and I'm scared of going to university because I have a feeling I'm going to relapse considering my eating is already gone to ****.

And it's Eating Disorders Awareness Week. How funny... :rolleyes:

/story of my teenage years/life

ReputationRep:
    Oh well. I can't stop thinking about it =/

I've not had any sort of phonecall and I saw my GP on Saturday. :dontknow:
    Hmm, well I'd phone them again and just say "Look, I need to know when etc" and usually if they realise it's really important they'll tell you. At my Docs I have to tell them it's important otherwise they'll just tell me to wait!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.