Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    Yeah, 'tis a good read, haven't seen the film though. He's got a great writing style, haven't read any of his other works.

I've never studied the Korean War, but I know the feeling of being put off the subject. I think I now have a hatred of modern German history, we've done it so much :mob:
    You haven't read/seen the Importance of Being Earnest?

We did it a fair bit, at least twice, but I honestly can't remmeber much of it now other than the basics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    You haven't read/seen the Importance of Being Earnest?

We did it a fair bit, at least twice, but I honestly can't remmeber much of it now other than the basics.
    No I haven't unfortunately, although I have heard of it. Is it as good as Dorian Gray?

I really need to read some more books. Maybe I'll pick that book up when I'm next in school (I think they have lots of the classics).

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't unfortunately, although I have heard of it. Is it as good as Dorian Gray?

I really need to read some more books. Maybe I'll pick that book up when I'm next in school (I think they have lots of the classics).
    It is a play, it is good. I haven't read it for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll get round to reading it at some point then. Wilde's a good author.

I guess we're the only two left on this thread - seems pretty deserted. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll get round to reading it at some point then. Wilde's a good author.

I guess we're the only two left on this thread - seems pretty deserted. :eek:
    It is. It's very lonely, guys :erm:

ReputationRep:
    It is. It's very lonely, guys :erm:
    I think they gave up on us. Don't think they made it through Heart of Darkness. :cry2:

Have a cookie, survivor! :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    I think they gave up on us. Don't think they made it through Heart of Darkness. :cry2:

Have a cookie, survivor! :cookie:
    Thanks, take one for yourself :cookie:

All I've had for tea is a tube of pringles.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, take one for yourself :cookie:

All I've had for tea is a tube of pringles.
    That's all you've had? Have another cookie! :cookie: If you starve I'll be on my own in here. I couldn't survive on such little food. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    That's all you've had? Have another cookie! :cookie: If you starve I'll be on my own in here. I couldn't survive on such little food. :eek:
    It was a whole tube. I just ate a stale iced bun too. And I have drunk a litre of smoothie. It is an odd meal.

ReputationRep:
    I love The Importance of Being Earnest - helped out on a production of it once, which was great fun. Recently I listened to Bunbury which is a play by Tom Jacobson inspired by Importance. It's good, if you get a chance to read/listen to it then it's worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    It was a whole tube. I just ate a stale iced bun too. And I have drunk a litre of smoothie. It is an odd meal.
    That sounds like an odd meal! Suppose with the smoothie it's healthy!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like an odd meal! Suppose with the smoothie it's healthy!
    Vaguely, I guess. It didn't feel very healthy.

(Original post by Festina lente)
    I love The Importance of Being Earnest - helped out on a production of it once, which was great fun. Recently I listened to Bunbury which is a play by Tom Jacobson inspired by Importance. It's good, if you get a chance to read/listen to it then it's worth a go.
    Thanks for that tip I shall look out for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still here, I'm still here!!

I finished Heart of Darkness before it was even chosen for this BC, because it was part of my reading list last semester :cool: So basically I can't wait to start discussing it!!!! Could we maybe start a thread already that people would link into as they finish reading??

We need to motivate people!!! :banana::dancing2::happy2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCH)
    I'm still here, I'm still here!!

I finished Heart of Darkness before it was even chosen for this BC, because it was part of my reading list last semester :cool: So basically I can't wait to start discussing it!!!! Could we maybe start a thread already that people would link into as they finish reading??

We need to motivate people!!! :banana::dancing2::happy2:
    Another survivor, have a cookie! :cookie: Seems like barely anyone has finished it/is still on this thread. Perhaps it's a good idea to start motivating people. :dance:

Not sure if we should maybe just go ahead and start a new thread; it might encourage people to join in. But where is our leader? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Finished this morning, it was interesting, not something i think I'd usually go for... can't wait to discuss

ReputationRep:
    Don't be lonely, I'm here too!
    I don't really have anything to say..
    'cept, Potiron - you're rep gave me exactly what I needed for a third gem :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Don't be lonely, I'm here too!
    I don't really have anything to say..
    'cept, Potiron - you're rep gave me exactly what I needed for a third gem :jumphug:
    Would it be mean to neg you now?

Thank you for the hug dearie, I hope you're very proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be mean to neg you now?

Thank you for the hug dearie, I hope you're very proud of it.
    It would be. Also, you actually can't I don't think and if you do I will do this
    I know it is sad... but it made me excited for 2 seconds, okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    It would be. Also, you actually can't I don't think and if you do I will do this
    I know it is sad... but it made me excited for 2 seconds, okay?
    I did appreciate the hug. I like hugs.

I don't know if I can, but you're making me more tempted to try.

I'm not going to though

I was supposed to be picked up to go out at 9, that's making me go

ReputationRep:
    I did appreciate the hug. I like hugs.

I don't know if I can, but you're making me more tempted to try.

I'm not going to though

I was supposed to be picked up to go out at 9, that's making me go
    Go out? When you could bump old threads on TSR? Why would you want to do that? Just kidding, that does kind of suck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.