Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    “Isn’t it odd how much fatter a book gets when you’ve read it several times? As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells, and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower, both strange and familiar.”

-Cornelia Funke

Possibly the best argument I've ever read against kindles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    “Isn’t it odd how much fatter a book gets when you’ve read it several times? As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells, and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower, both strange and familiar.”

-Cornelia Funke

Possibly the best argument I've ever read against kindles.
    You can always go back and read books again on the Kindle. And having a Kindle doesnt stop you from buying physical copies of books. I'll still buy physical copies of books I really like. It just makes reading much simpler i.e. if I want to read a book now, I dont have to wait for shops to open or internet deliveries, I'll just download it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmusedDouche)
    You can always go back and read books again on the Kindle. And having a Kindle doesnt stop you from buying physical copies of books. I'll still buy physical copies of books I really like. It just makes reading much simpler i.e. if I want to read a book now, I dont have to wait for shops to open or internet deliveries, I'll just download it.
    When you re-read something on a Kindle, it looks like it's never been read before. It's just text on a white screen. With books you have the smell, the crumple of pages, memories. That's why I like them so much There are advantages to Kindles but how much more simple does buying or borrowing a book really need to get?

(Original post by star10159)
      iPad ftw. Haters gonna hate. :troll:
      The iPad is not a good reading experience. The screen will cause eye strain if you are reading for lengthy periods of time. The Kindle is e-ink and not backlit so you get no more eye strain from that than you would from a physical book.

(Original post by IamSerious)
      Does it work in the dark?
      It's not backlit, so no but that's a good thing. There's a really good cover for the Kindle which has a built in light.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      The iPad is not a good reading experience. The screen will cause eye strain if you are reading for lengthy periods of time. The Kindle is e-ink and not backlit so you get no more eye strain from that than you would from a physical book.
      But can a kindle surf he internet, play videos and music etc..

ReputationRep:
      But can a kindle surf he internet, play videos and music etc..
      Yes to first and last, but it isn't the primary function, just as reading isn't the primary function of the iPad - it can do it, but not as well as a dedicated device.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Darren-M)
      Yes to first and last, but it isn't the primary function, just as reading isn't the primary function of the iPad.
      Really? lol when did this happen?

ReputationRep:
      Really? lol when did this happen?
      Internet browsing and playback of audio (that isn't audiobooks - those are supported) are both experimental features on the Kindle Keyboard 3G model. 'Experimental' effectively means beta but I've yet to have a problem with either and the web browsing is fairly invaluable when I want to post on TSR at college.

ReputationRep:
      It's good for reading in bed, no more awkward holding.My screen is currently smashafied though, it seems to happen easily.

ReputationRep:
      I got a Kindle yesterday, and without a doubt, i think it is by far the best gift i have ever been given!

I mean i am not what you would call a "dedicated" reader - i've only bought about 5 physical books in my lifetime.. but since yesterday, i've managed to build up an electronic collection of almost 60!!
      I also love the way that you can read newspapers and magazines on it (e.g. the economist, the guardian, independent, telegraph.. you name it!), which are nicely organised in a "table of contents" where you just click on what you wanna read.. pretty much like on the website, but on electronic paper!
      and when you curl up in bed to a brilliant book, you completely forget that you're holding a device full of electrons and circuits.. even the negative-flashy-refresh thing that it does every 6 pages or so becomes unnoticeable after about 15 minutes of reading! (if it's a good book, that is.. aha)

I would definitely recommend absolutely anyone to get one (or ask for one).. as like me, you could be someone who really doesn't read that much, but you SHOULD be reading a lot more - the device effortlessly enables you to do just that! - i mean i would never in a million years go out to a shop and buy a book that goes by the name of "Einstein's Theory of Relativity".. but thanks to the Amazon website i can get it for completely free!

ReputationRep:
      I really need to read more often...

I think I'm going to pick one up next week.

ReputationRep:
      I wrote a review of the Kindle a while back, yet I shall post on here:

'I spent a long time deciding whether to buy the Kindle. Was the price justified? Would the experience be the same as reading a book? Essentially, was it going to be worth it?

My reason for purchasing was I wanted to get back into books, I used to be an avid reader, yet other priorities got in the way and I stopped. I wanted the reading experience again, to be immersed in a book once more and so I thought - what a better way than to be able to purchase any book instantly? I could catch up on all the great books I've missed in the past few years (I work at Waterstones, so know I have many to read!).

The main issue with the Kindle before purchase is you cannot try it out and experience how 'good' it really is. The pictures and videos aren't the same as the real thing. Upon purchase I was still not prepared for how fantastic it looks and feels. It's small and light. It looks gorgeous with its graphite covering. It felt just 'right'. I powered it on after following the simplistic instructions and it came to life. The E-ink technology is really as it is hyped up to be - it looks just like a book, the text is integrated perfectly.

I remember I was in the middle of reading a book a few days after purchase and my brother came in. He said: 'Oh is that that Kundle thing'.

'The Kindle, yes'

'Well turn it on then'.

He thought the text on the Kindle was part of a screensaver and was amazed to find out when it was actually a book. As I said, it looks so seamless when you read!

Kindle Store:

After setting up my WiFi, I immediately went onto the Kindle Store. It is very simplistic, easy to use and broken into categories. You can also have Amazon use one-click to immediately purchase a book - and the download time is in 'seconds' literally. The samples are also fantastic, allowing you to examine books and not feel guilty if you decide it's not for you, it also lets you try out and see if you would like other novels you may not normally read. There are a range of reviews to see and a great many books - it is quite rare that the book you're after is not on the Kindle Store.

The Book Experience

It reads like a book, not an e-reader. One does not notice the difference when reading and the text matches very well.

My first book was the first Lord of the Rings and epic books like these are where the Kindle shines. You don't have to lug around a heavy book and can still experience it exactly the same and guess what? Straight after reading it I bought the next of the series instantly. The fact that the book is so good probably helped my first experience, but I must say I became so engrossed that I forgot I was reading from a kindle. You don't notice pressing the button to turn the pages and become very immersed. Again I must enforce, the fact that it is so light makes it fantastic to read in a range of situations - in bed or even while eating breakfast - you don't need to hold it to read!

Likewise, the interface of reading is great, in particular, I loved how you can adjust the size and font of the book. This allows you to really decide what's best for you and ensuring you have the best experience. For example, in some books it may put you off with the very small text - but it's now great on the Kindle to adjust the size. Even the small things like telling you how much percentage of the book you have read adds to the experience.

Lastly, you can place books into collections at your own discretion which allows great customisation. Books can be edited, bookmarked, notes can be shared and the list continues. The Kindle is really designed for the reader - part of the reason it has so much hype.

Screensavers

While on a smaller note, I've heard many complaints about the Screensaver. I must say - they are excellent. When the Kindle is put to sleep or not used for a period of time, a historical figure or piece of art comes into life. They are extremely detailed and I genuinely am interested to see what's next

Newspapers

In terms of newspapers, I immediately started a trial and am confused at what low ratings it has. Yes the full version is expensive, but considering you can get the full newspaper every morning delivered instantly for only £10 a month I find it fantastic. I am not too fussed about the lack of pictures - I still get all the news - and it's all about the reading, right? Yes there could be improvements, but so far I am happy with this service.

Charging/Syncing/Transferring

Well in the eight days I've had it, I haven't had to charge it apart from it's first use and have read many reviews about it's long length. The USB cable can detach from the adapter for use in the computer. It is very easy to drag and drop books into the Kindle and instantly updates.

The use of Calibre is also incredible. It is a free software compatible with the Mac and PC and is very simplistic. It enables you to convert many different file types, especially the thousands of free ePub books straight into the right format for the Kindle. So more free books! You can also email books to yourself with a free address - so you can get the free books or PDFs without having to connect to your laptop!

The not so good:

I have tried the internet which comes under a setting called 'experimental'. It is relatively slow and not too greatly designed for the user and so I won't be using this much. Although the Kindle Store as said before works like a charm. The Text to Speech and Music use I have not tried - although I've heard that you cannot organise your music and believe this may have been added as an afterthought.

Conclusion

As you can probably tell from my review - I love the Kindle. It's intuitive, simplistic and most of all - feels like a book. I am now back into reading and loving the experience with this device. For those that fear and I've hear it many times: 'Nothing beats the smell and feel of books' etc. It may not provide an exact replica, yet you at least need to try it (you can return it to Amazon within 30 days and get a refund/and all ebook purchases refunded within 7 days). My mother said exactly the same thing before I got my Kindle, that it could never replace one. Let's just say after showing her mine, she is now going to buy one next week. And she is a person who is not into gadgets at all!'

ReputationRep:
      On the 'reading by the pool' issue- I stick my kindle in a zip lock bag when I'm reading in the bath. You can also get waterproof covers, including ones with floats on them in case you drop it in the pool, but those are much more expensive than a box of zip lock bags!

ReputationRep:
      hey.
      im a bit f a techno-idiot so please frgive me, but how do dwnload free ebooks (not from amazon store) onto my kindle, which programsn do i use? which websites? and then how do i get from my computer to my kindle?

any help would be greatly appreciated
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      Apparently, you can only download from Amazon. There might be some sort of software to convert the ebook to the format that the Kindle uses.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OU Student)
      Apparently, you can only download from Amazon. There might be some sort of software to convert the ebook to the format that the Kindle uses.
      This is wrong.

You can transfer any downloaded ebook on to a kindle, as long as it is in a file type that kindles recognize. This includes PDFs, which most ebooks are.

Download from anywhere you like, so long as it is in a listed format. Most ebook downloads that i've come across contain ereader files.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200493090

ReputationRep:
      Ok, so my birthday is in a few weeks and my parents are thinking of getting me a Kindle.I really want the Keyboard 3G one. But before I actually tell them I 100% want one, I just wanted to make sure thatyou can delete books off it.

I've googled around and get contradicting reports. Some saying you can and other people saying you can't.

So can anyone on here tell me if you can delete books off a 3G Keyboard Kindle? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      Yes you can. I got one for Christmas and I've deleted several easily already, both from the Kindle itself and my archive.

Yeah you can. I don't see why you'd need to though.

ReputationRep:
        er yeah!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.