This discussion is closed.
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PortfolioManager1)
Msc Financial Economics
A levels: AAAA (although equivalent of current A*); Maths, FM, Econ, Pysch.

GCSE: irrelevant to application but since everyone else's written theirs; 9 A*, 1B
Undergrad: LSE BSc Economics (predicted first)
College: Merton for sure (many scholarship opportunities- not going to pursue a masters course without funding)
Hey :hello: ! Think you're the first potential postgrad applicant on the thread.
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PortfolioManager1)
Msc Financial Economics
A levels: AAAA (although equivalent of current A*); Maths, FM, Econ, Pysch.

GCSE: irrelevant to application but since everyone else's written theirs; 9 A*, 1B
Undergrad: LSE BSc Economics (predicted first)
College: Merton for sure (many scholarship opportunities- not going to pursue a masters course without funding)
There's also this thread for discussing postgrad applications/offers
eliotball
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
Oh yeah, anyone going to the 7th of May one? The "dedicated to maths and only maths" open day?
Yep, I'm going to that for Maths and Computer Science.
PortfolioManager1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
Hey :hello: ! Think you're the first potential postgrad applicant on the thread.
Hey Glad to be the first lol.
PortfolioManager1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zoedotdot)
There's also this thread for discussing postgrad applications/offers
Would explain why I'm the first prospective postgrad posting here- lol thanks for the link.
rhymenoceros
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey hey, first post so forgive me if I do something wrong

Username: rhymenoceros
GCSE (or equivalent): french baccalaureate (think i'm the only one here for now?)
A Levels (or equivalent): hard to say yet as our predicted grades aren't given out yet...
Subject: PPE
College: Worcester or Oriel but probably Worcester... no idea for the colleges and I won't even be able to visit so if anyone could help that would be awesome

A bit worried because I'm not sure if the french bac is really understood... I mean, there's a lot of useless stuff (for the course) that counts for our overall mark (out of 20); things like sports, or science :/ I'm hoping they look at the specific grades for each subject.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rhymenoceros)
A bit worried because I'm not sure if the french bac is really understood... I mean, there's a lot of useless stuff (for the course) that counts for our overall mark (out of 20); things like sports, or science :/ I'm hoping they look at the specific grades for each subject.
Hi. For PPE, according to the links below, you'll need an average score of at least 15:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...politic_1.html

..says 'or any other equivalent' and then provides link to:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ons/index.html

Don't forget the TSA!

Good luck
qwertyuiop1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rhymenoceros)
hey hey, first post so forgive me if I do something wrong

Username: rhymenoceros
GCSE (or equivalent): french baccalaureate (think i'm the only one here for now?)
A Levels (or equivalent): hard to say yet as our predicted grades aren't given out yet...
Subject: PPE
College: Worcester or Oriel but probably Worcester... no idea for the colleges and I won't even be able to visit so if anyone could help that would be awesome

Pas mal de français s'inscrivent à Oxford - je suis sûr que les profs sont conscients des différences entre le système anglais et le système français.
En effet, je crois qu'il y a quelqu'un sur ce site qui a eu une offre (15/20)

Je te conseille de choisir Trinity, mais seulement car c'est mon futur "college" :P
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
Pas mal de français s'inscrivent à Oxford - je suis sûr que les profs sont conscients des différences entre le système anglais et le système français.
En effet, je crois qu'il y a quelqu'un sur ce site qui a eu une offre (15/20)

Je te conseille de choisir Trinity, mais seulement car c'est mon futur "college" :P
Out of curiosity, do you study French or are you French?
qwertyuiop1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
Out of curiosity, do you study French or are you French?
I wish I were French... I have an offer to study French this year at Oxford. My exams are coming up soon so I'm trying to write as much French as possible
olivia_28
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
first ever post on TSR after a lot of reading! (:

Username: olivia_28
GCSE (or equivalent): 7 A*s and 2As
AS Levels: English Literature, French, Government&Politics, Chemistry
Subject: English
College: Worcester

definitely applying to oxford, and for a scholarship as well, ahhh!
Oldmantax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
x
Oldmantax, PPE, Balliol (atm), GCSEs - 11A*s, Jan AS - RS Philosophy (94/100), Accepted for UNIQ summer school (yay!), Studying Religious Studies, Maths, Further Maths, History
Steve.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not quite the right place to post it there, but if my questions are answered negatively i will be applying for 2012 so ;D

Now on with the questions:

If i would be applying to oxford as i am twenty, though when i start i would be 21 ( june 17 ), during application process would i be considered as mature student or not ? And correct me if i am wrong, but mature students can apply only to certain colleges within oxford or am i wrong ? ( I hope i am, i would love to go to Magdalen. )

And another question, i am an international student so i am not too familiar with this stuff, but as i know the gap year is considered the year after you finish school, my question is, if i take a gap year, should i apply during it, as application process is in October ( if that is the case, then it doesn't give you too much time after you finish school ;P, but that's alright ), or should i apply after my gap year, the next year, though then it would make 2 "gap" years, which i hope is not the case.
In my country we start school at 7, thus we finish at 19, if the gap year were to mean that you apply after the gap year, during next year, that would make me 20 when applying, but 21 when the autumn term would start and that would be a unwanted.
I am thinking about taking a gap year, during which i would go to university in my home country and then from there i would apply to oxford and start as a freshman. Also would recommendation from a professor make a big difference comparing it to a recommendation from a public school teacher ?

I would really appreciate if someone could clear these things out for me ^_^

As well, could someone talk are there any advantages or disadvantages applying during/after the first year of university ( depending how the gap question is to be clarified ) to oxford ?
VanillaSmoure
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow this thread is pretty long already...

I'm going to be applying for law, but i'm not sure which college yet! But i'm going to the law UNIQ summer school () so i'm guessing i'll fall in love with one then.

GCSEs: 11 A*, 1 A
And now i'm doing IB with SL Biology, Maths, German and HL Literature, History, Geography.

Is anyone else on here doing IB or going to the law UNIQ?!

Good luck to everyone!
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steve.)
Not quite the right place to post it there, but if my questions are answered negatively i will be applying for 2012 so ;D

Now on with the questions:

If i would be applying to oxford as i am twenty, though when i start i would be 21 ( june 17 ), during application process would i be considered as mature student or not ? And correct me if i am wrong, but mature students can apply only to certain colleges within oxford or am i wrong ? ( I hope i am, i would love to go to Magdalen. )

And another question, i am an international student so i am not too familiar with this stuff, but as i know the gap year is considered the year after you finish school, my question is, if i take a gap year, should i apply during it, as application process is in October ( if that is the case, then it doesn't give you too much time after you finish school ;P, but that's alright ), or should i apply after my gap year, the next year, though then it would make 2 "gap" years, which i hope is not the case.
In my country we start school at 7, thus we finish at 19, if the gap year were to mean that you apply after the gap year, during next year, that would make me 20 when applying, but 21 when the autumn term would start and that would be a unwanted.
I am thinking about taking a gap year, during which i would go to university in my home country and then from there i would apply to oxford and start as a freshman. Also would recommendation from a professor make a big difference comparing it to a recommendation from a public school teacher ?

I would really appreciate if someone could clear these things out for me ^_^

As well, could someone talk are there any advantages or disadvantages applying during/after the first year of university ( depending how the gap question is to be clarified ) to oxford ?
A current student will probably help you more, but as far as I know mature students can apply to any college (although there are colleges exclusively for mature students).

Gap years are the year between school and university normally. Not everyone has a gap year - I think most people don't - and those who do will usually use it to save money/ get a job/go travelling. You definitely wouldn't normally wait until after the gap year to apply! The majority either apply before the gap year, while they're still at school (this is called 'deferred entry') or during the gap year.

As far as I know, it's extremely rare to apply to Oxford from another university. (Not that it can't be done. Again a current student would be more help. Hopefully one will pop up soon.)

(Original post by VanillaSmoure)
Wow this thread is pretty long already...

I'm going to be applying for law, but i'm not sure which college yet! But i'm going to the law UNIQ summer school () so i'm guessing i'll fall in love with one then.

GCSEs: 11 A*, 1 A
And now i'm doing IB with SL Biology, Maths, German and HL Literature, History, Geography.

Is anyone else on here doing IB or going to the law UNIQ?!

Good luck to everyone!
Long? The Cambridge equivalent has stretched to 62 pages already! We desperately need to catch up!
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
I wish I were French... I have an offer to study French this year at Oxford. My exams are coming up soon so I'm trying to write as much French as possible
Well, if it helps I couldn't tell if you were a native speaker or not, and I'm doing Higher (AS equivalent) right now. So you must be pretty good! But you've got an offer from Oxford, so you already knew that.
VanillaSmoure
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ohh haha i'm a bit new to this and haven't checked out the cambridge one yet :P. 62 pages :O! Yes we do need to catch up :P. Little bit of oxford/cambridge rivalry starting already...? :P
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ohh haha i'm a bit new to this and haven't checked out the cambridge one yet :P. 62 pages :O! Yes we do need to catch up :P. Little bit of oxford/cambridge rivalry starting already...? :P
It's always been there!
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I remember right, they posted a challenge back on about page seven. They'd reached page 30 or so, of course. Clearly it just shows that we potential Oxford applicants have better things to do with our lives than make hundreds of pointless posts on student forums :ninja:
Steve.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have been to Cambridge, after that i knew i will be applying to oxford, never have set a foot there ...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?