Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer0902x)
    I said like If I was tidying a shelf then at that time my main priority would be tidying the shelf however if a customer came over and asked for help then my priority would change from tidying the shelf to helping the Customer and then when I have dealt with the customer my priority would then change again back to tidying the shelf :-) hope this helps and good luck!
    Oh no I only just got this but I actually said exactly that! Hahaha! I basically just said that customer service is the main priority really got through to a group interview next week wooooooo!! Xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Read through the job description - that will tell you what they are looking for in a restaurant assistant. They will probably ask you similar questions to the sales adviser phone interview - ie how would you deliver excellent customer service, how would you serve a customer from start to finish type thing -except you'll need to show some food hygiene knowledge and probably an interest in food too.
    Try to mention things about food presentation, cleanliness, making sure seating areas are clean and inviting, being able to multi-task and work as a team, using the till accurately, food knowledge, advising customers, promoting the menu, building rapport with customers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alamode01)
    how long does a temp xmas job last? any hope that they ask you to continue if you do very well?
    I just started as a Christmas temp. it should say in the job description when it will start, which is usually the end of October. Depending on the store they might have you in earlier, I just started a whole month early and they usually have vacancies after Christmas so if you're really good then they will keep you on

ReputationRep:
    oh congratz, By the way when did they call you after your interview that you were successful? i had mine 3 days back but have not heard from them whether i made it or not:0

ReputationRep:
    I had a telephone interview yesturday it was very simple, they ask you what was on the online form, 3 things needed you think you need when serving customers was the most difficult for me, when they ask about the job the customer is key, I didn't emphasise it enough in my interview, also they let you give a breif summary of previous work experience . Like me just keep talking in a calm and friendly manner it'll be fine, if the person goes quiet you've said so much she's catching up with you (this is good)

ReputationRep:
    I had mine earlier and it went really well! I now have an Induction on friday, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alamode01)
    oh congratz, By the way when did they call you after your interview that you were successful? i had mine 3 days back but have not heard from them whether i made it or not:0
    Thanks! And I got the call the next day, but we only had like 5 people in our group so it wouldn't have taken long for them to get back to everyone. But they did say if you were unsuccessful they would send a letter instead of call

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmg210)
    Anyone got any tips for a restaurant assistant telephone interview??
    I'm assuming you've had this by now?
    What did they ask you?
    I've got a phone interview for a Restaurant assistant soon.
    This is my first ever form of interview so I'm actually quite nervous even though its only a phone one

ReputationRep:
    Hi hello
    So i applied for a christmas temp job about a month ago, got through to the phone interview which i passed then onto the group interview. I was really nervous but they were super nice so no one has anything to worry about. We introduced ourselves, had to describe ourselves in 5 words - tip, cliche words aren't really good - such as 'hard working' or anything like that, just be honest, as long as it isn't anything bad.

Then we got into groups of 3 and had to come up with a word for each letter of the phrase CUSTOMER FOCUS. This task is really important as it allows you to work as a team and they watch you even if you don't think they are. Don't take over the task or be too quiet as they won't like that, listen to others and have fun with it + when you stand up in front of everyone make sure you take turns and make sure you use an example in each of the words you choose.

After that we had to individually go around the store and comment on some good points and some bad (if any) such as customer service, layout etc. My good points included how inviting the window displays looked, and how helpful and smiley some of the workers looked. I had one bad point but it was just about some clothes on the floor in the mens section but do emphasize on the good lol

After that we had our individual interviews, they included questions that you get sent via email after the phone interview + do research the company beforehand, that will really help. I thought i did rubbish in the interview regarding my answers but we casually chat before which probably sealed the deal.

So 8 days after my interview (today) i got told i got the job! 19 years old with NO work expirience at all, grades at school are good - not outstanding - but good. I was so surprised, i must have made a good impression. I wish anyone else luck who has any coming interviews.

ReputationRep:
    hmphh bit confused.. its been almost 6 days but no reply hope iam one of those who they contacted late:P we were 8 in our group so it shouldn't have taken them too long , still fingers crossed I thought I did well but i know they are unpredictable!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me an idea as to what sort of questions they will ask me in the phone interview please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rurounikenji)
    Hi guys,

I applied for the stockroom assistant position and was offered a telephone interview for Thursday. However, i just read the job description properly now lol and it mentioned that it requires you to start from September to December. As the job title said Xmas staff, i assumed the role would start in December. I go to a uni outside london and i live on campus and was hoping to come back to London during the xmas holidays and take this position. Anyways, i was just wondering if anyone knows if i can manage to let me change my start date to December so i could do it as a Xmas job?

Thanks
    Hey I'm having the same problem, only just realised the job may start this month. I have an interview soon and was wondering whether you got this sorted? Do we have a say in what days we work or when we can start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floraa)
    I'm assuming you've had this by now?
    What did they ask you?
    I've got a phone interview for a Restaurant assistant soon.
    This is my first ever form of interview so I'm actually quite nervous even though its only a phone one
    I had my first phone interveiw today too- It was not too bad and I passed it so I am sure you will!!
    The first bit was easy, just do you have criminal offences, the right to work in the UK etc. Just wherever you are have your National insurance number ready because I was at college on a free lesson during mine and I didn't have it with me! She was fine with it, but it was rather embarrassing to say the least!
    Anyway, then she asked some more searching questions: they were "how would you deliver great customer service" "why do you want to work in the restaurant" "what would you do if someone had left lots of their meal and didn't look very happy" and that kind of thing. It's all in this post basically! Keep calm and confident and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    What to expect from a interview?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_123)
    Just had my telephone interview and I got through to the next stage! Anyways first the woman asked me usual questions about availabilities, criminal convictions etc. Then she asked my why I wanted to work at Debenhams, what I understand about my role, How I would deliver great customer service, what would I do if we didn't have an item a customer wanted in store? and then she asked what if the customer wanted the item for the same day?
    then she put me on hold for a few minutes and told me I was succesful and I've got the group interview next thursday, so nervous for that!

Hi. I have a telephone interview soon so was wondering what did you answer to the last question: what if the customer wanted the item for the same day?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Tags for google searches - 2012 Debenhams TSR interview phone assessment centre day questions answers review help sales advisor christmas temp permanent customer.

Sales Advisor

Telephone Interview Questions - These are some of the exact questions I got.

Give me an example of good customer service.
    Give me an example of when you've had to make someone change their mind?
    Give me an example of when you've worked towards a target?
    Why do you want to work for Debenhams?
    What qualities can you bring to the store?
    Do you have any relevant experience?
    What do you think this role involves?
    Why do you think customer service is important?
    If there was a customer how would you approach them?

Most of these revolve around the customer. THE CUSTOMER > YOU. That's all you need to really bear in mind and convey. You want to work at Debenhams because it has a great environment, stellar reputation, unique brands and it even has personal shoppers. How epic is that?!

Assessment Day (As of Oct 2012)

Usually you'll see lots of people saying that they needed to give words for CUSTOMER FOCUS. Well, mine was... different. Here I'll explain what happened.

1. Ice Breaker. This was to identify positive and negative examples of customer service. So, you need to think of a time where you were given good customer service (I talked about buying running shoes and being given loads of info by a runner), and bad customer service (made up a time where I went into Game and they told me they didn't have games for 7 year olds). Most importantly, I explained WHY these were good or bad examples. Pick out the underlying factors (eye contact, tailored answers, friendly tone, no pressure etc).

2. Instead of this CUSTOMER SERVICE stuff, we were given a list of people (their ages, hobbies and high street shop preferences) and asked to match them to the brands. Note, I had no effing clue what any of the brands were. We were supposed to do this in groups. It was only me and one other girl applying for sales advisor positions, so I just tried to push all the answers to her. I don't even know if we got them right. You need to present your findings and back each one up with your reasoning.

3. Shop floor, identifying good and bad customer service examples to help their store improve. No pressure, you aren't assessed here. You're asked about it after the face to face interview.

4. Face to face interview. This was pretty much a chat by the time I got there but I think the manager already liked me. We talked about my CV and my previous experience and some other questions that were similar to the phone interview ones. Nothing huge.

So uh, yeah. I was given an offer about a week and a half later but when she called I really did expect a rejection. Just shows that if you prepare well, act decently, talk to everyone and come across as friendly then you'll do fine.

Oh, and lastly, if you see any other people posting topics about phone/telephone interviews, refer them to this post by copying and pasting the following:

Code:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=39847258&postcount=0

ReputationRep:
    I'm annoyed at Debenhams - I applied for a position in Southport which was 20 hours a week (the bare minimum I needed really). Did the application online, had my phone interview a few days later, went to the interview/assessment day earlier this week (a short sell an item to the group thing then a one to one interview) - everything went fine, pretty well in fact. They rang me today and offered me an 8 hour contract - what a waste of my time, effort and money (for travel). Why advertise it as a 20 hour vacancy (I even stated in the interview - both phone and in person - that 20 hours would be fine, but the more hours they could offer me the better, which I was told would be fine). When I apologised on the phone and said I was looking for more hours than that he literally paused, then said "right...bye then" and hung up :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I had a phone interview the other week and passed so I've been asked to attend and interview next week for the sales adviser role. I'm really nervous because it's my first interview and i really have no idea what to expect... can anyone inform me on what sort of interview questions they'll ask me and what the shop floor exercise consists of? If anyone could give me any help here I'd really appreciate it! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I just got the job!
    I'm an Xmas Sales Adviser in the woman's department,
    I start in the middle of November though which is a bit strange cos most people here are starting in october.. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOsugaplumfairy)
    I just got the job!
    I'm an Xmas Sales Adviser in the woman's department,
    I start in the middle of November though which is a bit strange cos most people here are starting in october.. lol
    Congrats! Same here, I found out yesterday I'm a Christmas sales advisor in women's wear! And same, I start early November - late December , which isn't very long! I'll be taking as much overtime as possible! Hopefully if I work super hard and show I'm enthusiastic etc, if they're takin on permanent staff in January I can be considered! Good luck hun x

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.