Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today was very productive and only required ibuprofen and paracetemol rather than diclofenac, naproxen and codeine to stop me from hurting too much.

Also, the bar moved super fast and the weight felt super light on my back every set.

Squat

60x3,3,3
    100x3
    105x3
    110x3
    115x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    140x3
    150x3
    Belt on: 160x3
    170x3,2

Deadlift

120x5
    130x5,5,5,5

Leg Press

250x15
    350x12
    390x10 (+2 forced reps w/spotter)
    250x20- hurt like a *****

Leg Extension and Leg Curls

around 5ish sets of each done for dat dere pump.

No conditioning today because I smashed the weights instead. Will push prowler following tomorrows press workout instead. I imagine that that will hurt a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    Did conditioning yesterday as planned.

All done with the vest on too.

Prowler:

2x25kg plates per sidex20mx10 1 min rest per 2 travels

Farmer's bars

70kg per handx60mx4

Treadmill for a bit.

Today I walked 7.5k in the vest because I didn't much feel like lifting for some reason. Will train press tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    All done with the vest on too.

Today I walked 7.5k in the vest because I didn't much feel like lifting for some reason. Will train press tomorrow.
    Do you wear some kind of baggy jacket over the vest?

I was just wondering because I was eyeing one up in a shop and it looked fairly similar to a bulletproof vest and there is often a lot of plod round my way and I would feel like a weapons grade tool having to explain what I was doing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Do you wear some kind of baggy jacket over the vest?

I was just wondering because I was eyeing one up in a shop and it looked fairly similar to a bulletproof vest and there is often a lot of plod round my way and I would feel like a weapons grade tool having to explain what I was doing...
    No, it's way too bulky and warm for that.

Not gonna lie, I do get some funny looks whilst wearing it out and about. However the five-o don't seem to notice/care.

Seriously, get one. They're the ****. The low back and ab work you get from it alone makes it worth the price of admission. The fact that it's an awesome conditioning tool too make them essential for anyone who wants to get in shape as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Monster squats and leg presses dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Monster squats and leg presses dude!
    Thanks. Tbh they're nothing special but at least things are moving forwards again at last.

ReputationRep:
    Farmer's bars

70kg per handx60mx4
    How did you find the grip on these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    How did you find the grip on these?
    Not really an issue. Turns were a *****. I put the bars down because I was tired rather than because I lost my grip. Chalk+doing them regularly+never using straps=good grip

Damn. I'm ill.

I've been under the weather for the last 3 days or so. Woke up this morning coughing up lime green muck and blood. My tonsils are also the size of golf balls. For some reason I went and trained anyway but it was damn near pointless.

Press

50x3
    52.5x3
    55x3
    57.5x3
    60x3
    62.5x3
    65x3
    67.5x3
    70x3
    72.5x3

60x8,8,6

all beltless

Chins with chainz

Tri set of sets of 15 dips, chins and calf raises. Did this 3x then went home and died.

ReputationRep:
    Not really an issue. Turns were a *****. I put the bars down because I was tired rather than because I lost my grip. Chalk+doing them regularly+never using straps=good grip

I think i'm a complete idiot. I have been doing farmers for weeks and chalk never flipping crossed my mind... So far they have mostly been really light though tbh and focusing on getting good speed but still, i am a giant idiot. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sqwats

60x3,3,3
    100x3,3,3
    105x3
    110x3
    115x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    135x3
    140x3
    150x3,3,3

Paused Squats (3 count)

120x3,3,3,3

Single Leg Squats

50 per leg

Prowler

2 plates per side. 10 20m travels. 30s rest per 2 travels.

Not the best but not the worst either, solid squat volume, all beltless too. I'm really enjoying not wearing the belt; everything feels much quicker and I actually have to use my abz and stuff with some thought, rather than just push out into a belt like my life depends on it. (lol. I just used a semi-colon on a forum).

Didn't really see the need to do much assistance work after 21 sets of squats so I just pushed the prowler and went home.

ReputationRep:
    Sqwats

60x3,3,3
    100x3,3,3
    105x3
    110x3
    115x3
    120x3
    125x3
    130x3
    135x3
    140x3
    150x3,3,3

Paused Squats (3 count)

120x3,3,3,3

Single Leg Squats

50 per leg

Prowler

2 plates per side. 10 20m travels. 30s rest per 2 travels.

Not the best but not the worst either, solid squat volume, all beltless too. I'm really enjoying not wearing the belt; everything feels much quicker and I actually have to use my abz and stuff with some thought, rather than just push out into a belt like my life depends on it. (lol. I just used a semi-colon on a forum).

Didn't really see the need to do much assistance work after 21 sets of squats so I just pushed the prowler and went home.
    Are single leg squats the same as pistol squats? If so 50 is insane!

Also, nice use of a semi-colon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Are single leg squats the same as pistol squats? If so 50 is insane!

Also, nice use of a semi-colon
    No, they are not. Thant would imply that I have some modicum of agility and balance. They're just rear foot elevated split squats (or bulgarian split squats) done with no weight for loadsa reps.

Had to do two pressing sessions within 12 hours of each other thanks to an awkward shift pattern this week.

Bench (paused)

60xmanyxmany
    80x3
    100x3
    102.5x3
    105x3
    107.5x3
    110x3
    112.5x3
    115x3
    117.5x3 PB

110x3,3,3

Chins

85 total, some weighted, some not.

Shrugs

110x15,15,15,15

Arms

100 reps each of bi's and tri's, cable stuff mainly.

Today I did.

Press

50x5
    55x5
    60x3
    67.5x8

50x10,10,10

Dumbell Row

50x12,12,12

ss with

Incline Dumbells

25x12,12,12

Seated Row

Prowler

2 plates per sidex20mx10

30s rest per 2x travels

ReputationRep:
    Friday Stuff:

1 mile vest walk

stretching 2x today.

ReputationRep:
    Today I did some conditioning. Wore the weighted vest for the whole session and didn't take it off at all.

Farmer's bars

60 (per hand)x60mx2
    80x40mx2
    90x20mx4

Sled Drag

100kgor 15 or so mins, resting as and when. I just dragged the thing along for a bit.

Walk of Death

20kg weighted vest+120kg sled+60kg farmers bars per handx20mx2

The above was fun.

Prowler sprint and farmers bar medley.

1 plate per side prowler, run 20m with it. Farmers bars with 40kg each, run 20m. Repeat until vomit.

All in all I had some fun today. This is what training should be about- having fun. Many people (myself included) often forget this.

100kg sled

ReputationRep:
    Following the advice found in this excellent article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t_your_program I've decided to 'audit' my training.

I've been following a recovery focused template for the last 8 weeks or so and have seen major improvements in my energy levels, pain and explosiveness. This is good. However, not training all that hard can't really go on forever otherwise I'll not go anywhere and end up as just another whiney arse keyboard warrior ***** critiquing form check vids on youtube all day.

So,

Good bits:

-Greatly reduced pain. This is awesome. Seriously. I don't feel 100 years old if I'm not on a ridiculous amount of NSAIDs. Plus I hate omeprazole.It makes me feel kak. My pain is now manageable and only requires pharma maybe 2x/week.

-Explosiveness. All of the submax sets I've been doing has increased the bar speed on basically every exercise.

-Sleep. Not much pain means better sleepy time. This is good for obvious reasons.

-Belt free training is awesome. I worked this one out by accident. The extra volume at lower belt-free intensities means that my 'core' (I hate that word) is stronger and now I don't really need a belt for weights that I really relied on it before.

-Conditioning. I actually feel in shape now because I moved this up the priority list.

Bad bits:

-Not really PB'd in a while (paused bench being the exception).

-Don't feel ruined after training. I miss this. **** knows why and it's probably why I'm so messed up but I do miss throwing up and not being able to do much but lie down and wish I was dead after sets/workouts.

-Lack of direction. Not having a set/rep scheme beyond do a **** load of triples until you can't lift the weight anymore and then pump up a bit does not productive workouts make.

So,

The priority list for the next 6-8 weeks will be:

1) Hypertrophy
    2) Recovery
    3) Conditioning
    4) Mobility
    5) Strength

5/3/1 will be my base template for the squat, bench and press.

1 assistance exercise for lowish reps

2-4 assistance exercises done for moderate-high reps

'Lifting' 3x/week.
    'Hard' conditioning 2x/week.
    'Moderate' conditioning 1x/week after legs
    'Light' conditioning as many days as possible.

Lower body stretching 2x/day.

Here's today's training:

AM- Stretching

PM-

Legzz

Squats (training max 162.5- assumes 1RM 180)

60x3,3,3,3,3
    105x5
    125x5
    140x10

Belt free.

Pause Squats (3 seconds)

120x5,5,5

Leg Press

190x15,15,15,15 slow and deep. **** hurts.

SLDL

60x12,12,12

Leg Extension

Leg Curl

Prowler

2 plates, 12 travels rest as and when.

ReputationRep:
    5+ Bench Day

T max 117.5 (assume 1RM 130)

Bench

60xsome
    70xsome
    80x5
    90x5
    102.5x12 PB, had more but figured why ruin myself when I'd already PB'd.

Incline Dumbells

25x12
    30x12,12,10

ss with sets of 10 chins

Dips (chains)

ss with sets of 10 chins

Shrugs

100x12,10,10

ss with sets of 25 face pulls

Bi's and Tri's superset

100 reps of each spread out over a few sets

ReputationRep:
    5+ Press

T max 72.5 (assumes 1RM 85)

No belt

50x5
    55x5
    65x10 PB

Press

50x10,10,10,10,10

ss

Chins

Side Laterals

ss

Rear Laterals

Conditioning- Prowler, moderate.

ReputationRep:
    Some good work going on in here...wish I had a prowler, probably some of the best strength you can get.

I also own a weighted jacket, but mine is 20kg...it feels heavy but you get used to it quick. I haven't wore it on over a year, but think I will start wearing it again in prep for summer.

ReputationRep:
    5+ Press

T max 72.5 (assumes 1RM 85)

No belt

50x5
    55x5
    65x10 PB

Press

50x10,10,10,10,10

ss

Chins

Side Laterals

ss

Rear Laterals

Conditioning- Prowler, moderate.

What weight do you use on the prowler?

My gym has them it's just an effort to carry them outside all the way to the astro each time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    What weight do you use on the prowler?

My gym has them it's just an effort to carry them outside all the way to the astro each time...
    2x20kg plates on a moderate day. Usually do 10x20m total.

Sometimes I'll do a ladder (usually after leg day) from 1-5 plates per side. That's a *****.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.