Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I have my transition metals practical assessment later this week and my revision guide isn't very helpful haha (It's the Edexcel one).

It shows a table which is very brief in its observation descriptions and simply says for excess NaOH either "soluble <colour>" or "insoluble". Then for excess NH3, it gives a few coloured ppts but for other transition metals it says "insoluble", "<colour> solution" and "soluble".

What does soluble and insoluble mean? What's the difference between soluble and a coloured solution? As well as the difference between insoluble and a coloured solution. Thank you.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
Hi, I have my transition metals practical assessment later this week and my revision guide isn't very helpful haha (It's the Edexcel one).

It shows a table which is very brief in its observation descriptions and simply says for excess NaOH either "soluble <colour>" or "insoluble". Then for excess NH3, it gives a few coloured ppts but for other transition metals it says "insoluble", "<colour> solution" and "soluble".

What does soluble and insoluble mean? What's the difference between soluble and a coloured solution? As well as the difference between insoluble and a coloured solution. Thank you.
When it says soluble, it's means that the precipitate formed while adding a few drops of either NaOH or NH3 will dissolve if more of the NaOH or NH3 is added!
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by James A)
When it says soluble, it's means that the precipitate formed while adding a few drops of either NaOH or NH3 will dissolve if more of the NaOH or NH3 is added!
Thank you so much!
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
C4H11N has several structural isomers. Write the structural formula of the isomer of C4H11N that is:

a) a primary amine with a branched chain --- i came up with ch3ch(ch3)ch2nh2 for this one which seems right :O

b) a symmetrical secondary amine with a straight chain -- absolutely couldnt do this one COULD ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!

c) a secondary amine with a branched chain

d) a tertiary amine --- THIS ONE was dodgy too- i am low on H's (this organic stuff is quite hard :s) but yeah i got (ch3)3nh3

could anyone help me out please, and also do you have any tips on approaching these DODGY questions pls :P ?
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
C4H11N has several structural isomers. Write the structural formula of the isomer of C4H11N that is:

a) a primary amine with a branched chain --- i came up with ch3ch(ch3)ch2nh2 for this one which seems right :O

b) a symmetrical secondary amine with a straight chain -- absolutely couldnt do this one COULD ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!

c) a secondary amine with a branched chain

d) a tertiary amine --- THIS ONE was dodgy too- i am low on H's (this organic stuff is quite hard :s) but yeah i got (ch3)3nh3

could anyone help me out please, and also do you have any tips on approaching these DODGY questions pls :P ?
You need to break down the information when given.

Once you do that, it's easy to approach.

jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to break down the information when given.

Once you do that, it's easy to approach.

thank you so much!! yes, i think ive done it, the drawings are really helpful

I think the last one is ch3nh(ch3)ch2ch3

EDIT :MY LAST ONE IS WRONG NM LOL

EDIT 2 : I GOT IT !!
its (ch3)2c2h5N
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
thank you so much!! yes, i think ive done it, the drawings are really helpful

I think the last one is ch3nh(ch3)ch2ch3

EDIT :MY LAST ONE IS WRONG NM LOL

EDIT 2 : I GOT IT !!
its (ch3)2c2h5N
No worries, I was doing maths in the meanwhile, so the chem was a nice break.

I'm gonna eat dinner now, I'll attempt the last one after and see if I got the same as you.
mkhan51
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I have a transition metal analysis practical next week, I'm really confused and I don't know what to look over, I've looked over the transition metals and what happens when NaOH and NH3 are added. Is that it, or should I also look over AS tests?? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mkhan51)
Hi, I have a transition metal analysis practical next week, I'm really confused and I don't know what to look over, I've looked over the transition metals and what happens when NaOH and NH3 are added. Is that it, or should I also look over AS tests?? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no need to look over AS work. You need to know what the transition metals behave (so colors and soluble / insoluble precipitates) in limited NH3 and NAOH and also in excess NAOH and NH3.
mkhan51
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
1234lime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello all, I've got the A2 - B16 - Observation exercise on organic practical coming up very soon. Any ideas on how best to prepare? My guess is that it will involve Unit 4 organic chemistry only, but I may be wrong?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 1234lime)
Hello all, I've got the A2 - B16 - Observation exercise on organic practical coming up very soon. Any ideas on how best to prepare? My guess is that it will involve Unit 4 organic chemistry only, but I may be wrong?
Mainly unit 4... but just don't forget the Benzene ring does exist
1234lime
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
Mainly unit 4... but just don't forget the Benzene ring does exist
great, thanks
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know if we need to know about or carry out Kstab calculations ?
MustaphaMond
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do we need to memorise the redox equations for MnO4 titrations, Cu titrations and Chlorate titrations?
NutterFrutter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lordmackery)
Do we need to memorise the redox equations for MnO4 titrations, Cu titrations and Chlorate titrations?
Yes
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NutterFrutter)
Yes
hows med school going?
NutterFrutter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hows med school going?
Still on gap year. :lol:

Spoiler:
Show
Is this off-topic? :ninja:
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NutterFrutter)
Still on gap year. :lol:

Spoiler:
Show
Is this off-topic? :ninja:
No nooo, i meant as in, have you secured your place?

Apologies for the confusion.

What have you been up to lately man?

It's hard to get hold of you because you're always on the sly :sly:.
DishyBob
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do we need to know all the organic reactions? Like all the reactions pathways and how to get from one reactant to a product with multiple steps?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads