Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    Ha ha your way of explaining was way better than mine & I chose 3x + 2y as well but for integer solutions there must be a quicker way, there has to be!
    Yh I think typically you can just look at the graph and figure out yourself which points will be feasible! which is probably what I will do... Though if you get time to check your paper (god knows who will ), that would be a good way to check your right. & that your chosen point is in feasible region.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    yay
    this is our syllabus for linear
    5 Linear programming
    What students need to learn:
    Formulation of problems as linear programs.
    Graphical solution of two variable problems using
    ruler and vertex methods
    Consideration of problems where solutions must
    have integer values

we only have 2 variables not 3
    Ah great ! Thank-you for looking that up.... *phew*
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Yh I think typically you can just look at the graph and figure out yourself which points will be feasible! which is probably what I will do... Though if you get time to check your paper (god knows who will ), that would be a good way to check your right. & that your chosen point is in feasible region.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, I think timing is very important in this exam, we got suggested to do linear programming & basically the 'big' questions first but not sure that would be a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think timing is very important in this exam, we got suggested to do linear programming & basically the 'big' questions first but not sure that would be a good idea
    I am very bad with remembering definitions - so personally I'm going to be reciting all definitions in my head as I walk into the hall .... and get those questions out of the way first (if there are any - which I hope there won't be!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah great ! Thank-you for looking that up.... *phew*
    It says 2 variables graphical right? Don't want to get it wrong, so it's not 3 from what I copied and paste?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I am very bad with remembering definitions - so personally I'm going to be reciting all definitions in my head as I walk into the hall .... and get those questions out of the way first (if there are any - which I hope there won't be!)
    Yeah, they're annoying & can cost precious marks, if they do come up, I hope they're the easier ones But what I really don't like are the 'wordy' parts of the questions like what would happen if...or trying to find the route for route inspection, it takes me ages!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It says 2 variables graphical right? Don't want to get it wrong, so it's not 3 from what I copied and paste?
    It's most definitely not 3

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're annoying & can cost precious marks, if they do come up, I hope they're the easier ones But what I really don't like are the 'wordy' parts of the questions like what would happen if...or trying to find the route for route inspection, it takes me ages!!
    Oh I hate the "what would happen if... " questions too :eek: I hope those"if" questions aren't applied to linear programming or critical path analysis... as I haven't done any of those kind of questions Though I think I do remember 1 or 2 for linear programming when I was studying for D1 in Jan, in the Edexcel book, but not in past papers

ReputationRep:
    It's most definitely not 3
    Hi can you or anyone explain Question 6)a

Don't get the wording thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hi can you or anyone explain Question 6)a

Don't get the wording thanks
    Hi, where is 6a?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, where is 6a?
    Mixed exercise 1F
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Mixed exercise 1F
    Ok, this is a tricky one but I'll try my best...
    He needs 2 pieces which are each 1.2m so as he has 6 2m pieces he could use 2 of them to cut 1.2m out now this will leave 0.8m of wood in each & the only way to use that 0.8 is to have 2 pieces of 0.4 h/w this will only work w/ one piece as he only wants 3x0.4 pieces so in the other piece there will 0.4m left that will be of no use so overall he will need more than 6 lengths, hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Mixed exercise 1F
    If you use the full bin packing algorithm with 6 bins of 2m each you'll find that it doesn't fit. I can't think of a way to explain it though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure this will be a 'walk in the park'

ReputationRep:
    Some decent notes here, guys.

It does have some old syllabus stuff in, though.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt Decision Mathematics 12.ppt (2.00 MB, 203 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    If you use the full bin packing algorithm with 6 bins of 2m each you'll find that it doesn't fit. I can't think of a way to explain it though.
    so for part a should I use full bin, I thought part c required us to do full bin
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    When drawing activity networks, do you start from 0 or 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Some decent notes here, guys.

It does have some old syllabus stuff in, though.
    may i confirm with you, in your notes you had linear programming with 3 variables , thats not in our syllabus.

Very nice notes 10/10

ReputationRep:
    When drawing activity networks, do you start from 0 or 1?
    you start from 0.

I still dont get 6)a)

ReputationRep:
    may i confirm with you, in your notes you had linear programming with 3 variables , thats not in our syllabus.

Very nice notes 10/10
    Yeah, simplex was in the old syllabus. I think it's in D2 now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.