Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure what to think.

My parents seem to think the threat is a definite and real one - and as both have been in the Forces, they kinda do know what they're talking about (both were in during the Cold War).

On the other hand, the majority of the country is starving, famine and poverty is widespread and if invaded they'd probably last about two days before the Government was overthrown. It's the crazy fat dude with his finger on the button that is the worry I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I'm really not sure what to think.

My parents seem to think the threat is a definite and real one - and as both have been in the Forces, they kinda do know what they're talking about (both were in during the Cold War).

On the other hand, the majority of the country is starving, famine and poverty is widespread and if invaded they'd probably last about two days before the Government was overthrown. It's the crazy fat dude with his finger on the button that is the worry I think.
    I would say that the threat is more prominent for South Korea, Japan and US Bases in the Far East.

The Thing is North Korea does have a few ICBMs that could hit the North American Continent, they also are said to have nuclear warheads. Now the hard part is combining the two and putting them on a missile. We really dont know if they have done it or not.

Now if they did detonate a nuclear bomb over the US, an EMP would be their best bet. But I highly doubt they would do this, as they would be wiped off the map by Nuclear Missiles from US submarines.

North Korea can do a fair amount of damage if they have to. They do have a very large army, decent technology, a decent navy and a fair air force. It wouldn't be another Iraq "walk in the park" war.

If things really did go bad, at the end of the day the US and NATO would win the war after a few weeks but not without the utter destruction of Seoul, Tokyo and other major cities around the area, not to mention the missiles they launch into the North American continent (but a lot would be intercepted).

My biggest fear is Seoul being trampled over by the North Korean army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politixx)
    Surprised the video wasn't posted yet
    Haha! Loved that video - exciting and that's how I want it to stay, only in a game!

But, if you look at Homefront's events, passing over a few discrepancies about the time, the events are quite synchronous with real-life events.

However, I am greatly sceptical about North Korea uniting with South Korea and then becoming anti-US. South Korea is pro-US and a close ally; I highly doubt they'd turn against the United States.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Don't forget NK has a defence pact with China.
    China's biggest trading partner is the United States. China will not go to war against the United States unless it was a matter of life and death.

China has been building itself up economically and whatnot and it will not risk a ridiculous and massive war with the United States - it will never even come to that.

If you ever want to see a possible war between such large trading partners, that may occur in coming decades - due to dwindling resources (if tech hasn't saved us from that) and by then, several countries would be against each other and it would be "every man for himself".

But right now, regardless of that defense pact, China and the United States would never go to war directly with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    I would say that the threat is more prominent for South Korea, Japan and US Bases in the Far East.

The Thing is North Korea does have a few ICBMs that could hit the North American Continent, they also are said to have nuclear warheads. Now the hard part is combining the two and putting them on a missile. We really dont know if they have done it or not.

Now if they did detonate a nuclear bomb over the US, an EMP would be their best bet. But I highly doubt they would do this, as they would be wiped off the map by Nuclear Missiles from US submarines.

North Korea can do a fair amount of damage if they have to. They do have a very large army, decent technology, a decent navy and a fair air force. It wouldn't be another Iraq "walk in the park" war.

If things really did go bad, at the end of the day the US and NATO would win the war after a few weeks but not without the utter destruction of Seoul, Tokyo and other major cities around the area, not to mention the missiles they launch into the North American continent (but a lot would be intercepted).

Thank you, very simply put!

I feel a bit out of the loop - I've read some things on North Korea (Nothing to Envy) but really I'm vastly uninformed. I imagine South Korea is quite worried :/

ReputationRep:

I feel a bit out of the loop - I've read some things on North Korea (Nothing to Envy) but really I'm vastly uninformed. I imagine South Korea is quite worried :/
    The rhetoric is particularly intense and serious this time, which is concerning. But that could be all that it is - rhetoric. But some actions say otherwise - such as the moving of 2 mid-range missiles to North Korea's east coast and mobilisation occurring.

However, it must be noted that a big anniversary is coming up in North Korea, so maybe NK is just doing as it does and whipping up patriotism at home... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, classic OP.

North Korea's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)

Their tech is 70 years old. They have 30 MiG 29's which are subordinate to leading fighters. The rest are obsolete and probably don't have enough fuel to fly them.

They have three frigates, 70 submaries and a large collection of smaller boats. Their East and west navies are seperate and cannot assist one another.

They don't have enough fuel for tank training even when relient on fuel imports from China.

They don't have enough food to feed their army, let alone populace. Army personel recieve 800 calories a day.

They have very few missiles. Japan and Seoul have anti missile screens and warships in the area also have anti missile interceptors.

If anything did kick off, American, SK and JP cruise missiles would destroy any launch facilities/comms/AA etc. NK don't have defence against this.

Biggest threat would be artillery which would reach SK but not JP.

All that would need to be done is cut or allow them to expend the already migre supplies they have and they will not want to fight.

ReputationRep:

I don't know really if the south are worried, they are so used to North Korea's threats, it's almost normal to them.

The South knows that if the North wanted to, the North could invade into South Korea and take over Seoul ( as it only 35 miles from the DMZ). Now the only reason the North doesn't do that is that the South is backed up by it's big brother the US.

The North knows if it touches the South, the US will wipe the North off the map. Do not underestimate the US military, it accounts for around half the expenditure of all the military budget of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  kim jong il what if.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  32.4 KB

Can't deny the possibility...

/joke

Obviously the last thing I want is for war to break out, but there's no denying that this is quite interesting (and a bit scary). I wonder what will happen after April 10th?

"The North Korean government asked foreign embassies whether they were considering evacuating staff, saying it cannot guarantee their safety in the event of conflict from April 10." - Sky News

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget NK has a defence pact with China.
    even then, I doubt a large-scale war would occur. As pointed out by the comment above, there's on way China would get involved in declaring war on the U.S, there would be too many consequences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    even then, I doubt a large-scale war would occur. As pointed out by the comment above, there's on way China would get involved in declaring war on the U.S, there would be too many consequences
    There were a few consequences of us honouring our pact with Poland I seem to remember reading somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    China's biggest trading partner is the United States. China will not go to war against the United States unless it was a matter of life and death.

China has been building itself up economically and whatnot and it will not risk a ridiculous and massive war with the United States - it will never even come to that.

If you ever want to see a possible war between such large trading partners, that may occur in coming decades - due to dwindling resources (if tech hasn't saved us from that) and by then, several countries would be against each other and it would be "every man for himself".

But right now, regardless of that defense pact, China and the United States would never go to war directly with each other.
    But China has other allies too. Pakistan in particular relies on them for military tech I believe. Pakistan's nukes are Chinese. They aren't gonna wanna see their buddy go down and China knows that. It wouldn't put it past Russia to do a yank and sweep in at the end with a "we won the war" either.

Then you've got the middle east. Iran may seize the moment with nuclear cover from Pakistan. America can't fight all the countries that would like to take it down at once without obliterating half the world and its self. This is potentially a very grave situation.

ReputationRep:
    There were a few consequences of us honouring our pact with Poland I seem to remember reading somewhere.
    This is the modern world. China is far too intelligent.

A world war would not occur over something as petty as this - developed nations are far too comfortable and have far too much love for money and the same goes with China which has tasted lots of cash alongside its rapid advancement and development. Developed nations do not simply go to war against each other especially when they have important and lucrative trade relationships.

A world war would only occur now in a situation of life and death - i.e. over dwindling resources, food etc etc. The North Korean situation would not spark a world war or a massive conflict unless unforeseen consequences were involved.

ReputationRep:
    But China has other allies too. Pakistan in particular relies on them for military tech I believe. Pakistan's nukes are Chinese. They aren't gonna wanna see their buddy go down and China knows that. It wouldn't put it past Russia to do a yank and sweep in at the end with a "we won the war" either.

Then you've got the middle east. Iran may seize the moment with nuclear cover from Pakistan. America can't fight all the countries that would like to take it down at once without obliterating half the world and its self. This is potentially a very grave situation.
    How does that lead on from my post? Maybe I haven't understood you properly?

So what if China has other allies - no one ally of China's is as strong or mighty as the United States or has proved to be a driving force behind China's rapid advancement - although most countries can attribute that to the greater British temporal diaspora

Pakistan isn't going to go to war with the United States and neither is Iran at the moment.

You seem to overestimate nations which are apparently "anti-Western/anti-US". They are not stupid. The United States has over 5,000 active nuclear warheads. As soon as any nation fires at the United States, they will be destroyed and their nukes intercepted.

This isn't a game or a movie. Nations aren't just going to attack the United States for the fun of it - they care about their survival too. North Korea, on the other hand, seems desperate, poor and even suicidal. Pakistan is not. And neither is China. And neither is Iran (which btw is highly religious and is following some mystical timeline that involves the destruction of Israel or something).

China won't attack the United States - that would be suicidal. It will be mutual destruction - do you really think either nations are suicidal like North Korea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razzamoly)
    Name:  kim jong il what if.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  32.4 KB

Can't deny the possibility...

/joke

Obviously the last thing I want is for war to break out, but there's no denying that this is quite interesting (and a bit scary). I wonder what will happen after April 10th?

"The North Korean government asked foreign embassies whether they were considering evacuating staff, saying it cannot guarantee their safety in the event of conflict from April 10." - Sky News

The fact is, a "good-case" scenario would be a conflict contained within the Korean peninsula with the United States dominating and North Korea falling. However, due to the sheer size of North Korean forces, albeit less technologically able, such a war may drag on and may prove to be devastating - and this becomes all the more serious if NK is equipped to fire nukes.

A worst-case scenario - well, that comes if we have vastly under-estimated NK - and such a scenario is not good and will effect the entire planet.

But in either scenarios, I feel for SK.

Having said all of this - I am beginning to think that this is simply NK rhetoric at its extremest - coupled with actions and gestures (e.g. closure of complex, mid-range missiles on east coast, warning embassies) that are made to look as if it is "preparing" for war whereas in reality, it's actually not. But I could be wrong. Very wrong. Especially in the coming days, as we get closer and closer, not just to April 10th, but also the big anniversary that is coming up in NK.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the video at: Telegraph - What threat does North Korea pose to South and United States

ReputationRep:
    This is the modern world. China is far too intelligent.

A world war would not occur over something as petty as this - developed nations are far too comfortable and have far too much love for money and the same goes with China which has tasted lots of cash alongside its rapid advancement and development. Developed nations do not simply go to war against each other especially when they have important and lucrative trade relationships.

A world war would only occur now in a situation of life and death - i.e. over dwindling resources, food etc etc. The North Korean situation would not spark a world war or a massive conflict unless unforeseen consequences were involved.
    What about the weapons trade between these countries?

China is mobilising tanks and armed vehicles to the border. Presumably you think they're planing to go Tiananmen on NK refugees?

The reason the China buildup is being played down is that the media doesn't want to put them in a position of embarrassing climb down or war.

ReputationRep:
    What about the weapons trade between these countries?

China is mobilising tanks and armed vehicles to the border. Presumably you think they're planing to go Tiananmen on NK refugees?

The reason the China buildup is being played down is that the media doesn't want to put them in a position of embarrassing climb down or war.

The China buildup is to contain the situation should it escalate to war. It is to keep millions of North Koreans from spilling over into China.

It is not to go to war with the United States.

ReputationRep:
    How does that lead on from my post? Maybe I haven't understood you properly?

So what if China has other allies - no one ally of China's is as strong or mighty as the United States or has proved to be a driving force behind China's rapid advancement - although most countries can attribute that to the greater British temporal diaspora

Pakistan isn't going to go to war with the United States and neither is Iran at the moment.

You seem to overestimate nations which are apparently "anti-Western/anti-US". They are not stupid. The United States has over 5,000 active nuclear warheads. As soon as any nation fires at the United States, they will be destroyed and their nukes intercepted.

This isn't a game or a movie. Nations aren't just going to attack the United States for the fun of it - they care about their survival too. North Korea, on the other hand, seems desperate, poor and even suicidal. Pakistan is not. And neither is China. And neither is Iran (which btw is highly religious and is following some mystical timeline that involves the destruction of Israel or something).

China won't attack the United States - that would be suicidal. It will be mutual destruction - do you really think either nations are suicidal like North Korea?
    My point is that the states can't attack everyone at once. Have you seen the size of the landmass they'd be fighting across? If China stands by its agreement with NK, which facts on the ground suggest it will the risk of escalation is real due to the regions network of strategic inter reliance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.