Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, Thought it would be nice to start a thread and exchange any tips/tricks for applying to graduate entry medicine as its coming up to that time of the year again *eeek* and seeing as the gamsat is in like 4 weeks the more the merrier. I am a biomed graduate and a Cancer Biology MSc graduate (A-levels weren't so great) and am planning on applying to St Georges, Nottingham, Kings and possibly Swansea or Newcastle. oh and I also have been volunteering in a hospital for about 6 months and have been working as a HCA at another hospital for roughly 2 months now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi for GCSE i recieved 2A*,6A,2B (In literature and DT)
    I have just recieved my AS results and got:
    Biology: A (262/300)
    Maths: A (262/300)
    Chemistry : B (223/300)
    Physics: B (217/300)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    690 UKCAT

A*AA

any opinions? where to apply?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ellie xox)
    Well done! That's amazing!

Do you mind if I ask you what you got in your UKCAT? Its just the problem that Ive got now is that most of the universities which dont paticulary care that much about AS levels seem to care more about UKCAT which I didnt do amazing in. :/ ( I got 645 average).

Ive only founs 3 uni's so far that I think I might actually have a shot at which are Leeds, Nottingham and Leicester but im struggling to find a 4th which dont mind a low UKCAT average and a low 4th AS level. Do you have any suggestions on a 4th one? Ive already looked at the tsr medical schools wiki but cant seem to find a realistic 4th option.

Thanks for your advice btw! It's made me feel a lot better!
    Thank you!

Yeah, I got 690 which obviously gave me a bit more freedom :/ Have a look on here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements. There are a few that you could check out (i'm not sure about their ukcat cut-offs though). This should help as well http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2077498

Aww yay! That's what I'm here for!

ReputationRep:
    Well done! That's amazing!

Do you mind if I ask you what you got in your UKCAT? Its just the problem that Ive got now is that most of the universities which dont paticulary care that much about AS levels seem to care more about UKCAT which I didnt do amazing in. :/ ( I got 645 average).

Ive only founs 3 uni's so far that I think I might actually have a shot at which are Leeds, Nottingham and Leicester but im struggling to find a 4th which dont mind a low UKCAT average and a low 4th AS level. Do you have any suggestions on a 4th one? Ive already looked at the tsr medical schools wiki but cant seem to find a realistic 4th option.

Thanks for your advice btw! It's made me feel a lot better!
    Think you need to find those univesities which do not focus on UKCAT then. Try Birmingham if you are OK with a A*AA target as they do not consider UKCAT in assessing who is suitable for interview unless it is borderline.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm quite annoyed I didn't get 4As at AS I ended up getting AAAB, I do chemistry, biology physics + maths. The B was in maths :/ I'm going to be resitting M1 and C2 in January to pull my AS score up. As for the UKCAT my average was 630, do I stand a chance applying somewhere for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzle123)
    Hiya guys just wondered if you'd be kind enough to help me?
    Basicaly I wanna do medicine ive got 9a* and 3as at GCSE, but my as grades let me down ive got as and 2bs
    I also got 672.5 in my UKCAT
    just wanted help with where I should apply, whether i should even apply or should i apply deffered for 2015 entry thanks guys
    Excellent GCSE grades - well done! You'll be fine applying with AABB at AS for 2014 entry as long as you choose the right uni's - lots of people have succeeded in doing that. Read the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' and apply to ones that use GCSEs as the best predictor of academic ability, while avoiding those that focus on AS grades. Some uni's will look at either - fx, Leeds will score your GCSEs and your AS grades, and credit you with the higher of the two scores. Don't forget that some med schools impose UKCAT score cutoffs and/or use UKCAT scores when ranking their applicants. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParticlePhysics)
    Hi guys! I am a bit different, but would like your opinions! this is a long wall of text so I'm so sorryyyy I bolded for you who want to skim thru

I am from Finland:

My A-level equivalents (which most unis do accept) are soon and I plan to hopefully get the equivalent of A/A*s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Finnish, English and French.

My GCSE equivalents (or that's what I've been told; we don't have standardized exams at this stage, we just get a total grade of our work for the three last years)for Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and like 6 other subjects are all to the max (10/10) EXCLUDING bio (9/10).

My UKCAT is 690 (and this is why I wont apply to places like Kings, Sheffield, Newcastle..)

I have had an enough amount of work exp imo, since it's not encouraged at all here (the system is different. I tried to get work exp for like a year from A LOT of doctors, hospitals and healthcare companies). I finally got

• One week shadowing an ortho surgeon in NY the US (yeah...had to go that far, was a nice vacation in USA too)
    • 1 day shadowing neurosurgery specialty registrar in the central uni hospital here in Helsinki
    • one operation by a surgeon in a private clinic (so little, I know...)

Also, I visited Libya 2011 (during the war yeah) and saw the local hospitals and their conditions, and they really made me think stuff, I don't know really if this is worth the mention as it wasn't necessarily work exp. I got a good picture of US system vs Finnish (Nat. Healthcare) vs Libyan ("third world")

What comes to volunteering,

• I have 4 months of volunteering twice a week in a nursing home for the elders
    • I started organizing the first ever Red Cross children club for the largest part of Helsinki, and it will launch in few weeks and will last until next summer (this means like twice a week volunteering for ~ 9 months or so)

My scientific extra curriculars are;
    • Went to CERN and completed a particle physics course which is competitive to get into and had to complete a research. I really liked this course because I love physics (stuff like imaging science with medicine is something so cool) and particle physics has a lot of applications and future applications for medicine
    • Went to EISCAT and Swedish Institute of Space Physics (Europe's main space radar center in the swedish arctic), again, I liked this and read a lot about its implications to human health, relations between radiowave technology and medicine, stuff like that
    • And my favourite one is this: I am doing a research (I think it could be compared to your guys' EPQs?) on the peripheral nervous system regeneration

I am trying to get into some lectures related to medicine, but as I said earlier, it is very hard because no one here is that supportive; most healthcare professionals are weirded out by all this hassle related to medical applications for the UK (as I tried to explain them for a work experience). You see, here to get into medicine we take an exam and that's it; you're in or not. One person even asked me that "why are you going to apply to the UK? Is it easier there? And why bother with all that stuff? "

I really love the UK much more, I really like the NHS (altho dem problems, but we have a national healthcare with even bigger problems sooo) and I really really love the language, culture and the universities much more there than here. I plan to live in the UK anyways so dont think I'm just coming and going !

I wish I could get into a UK med school so bad and I'm working very hard for this.

I wonder if I have a chance for an offer? What universities would you suggest ? I'm sorry for the wall of text, I really wanted to tell someone my situation, as no one understands my situation except very few people

I plan to do the BMAT for Cambridge, and I really like QUBelfast, so I would have two slots open

1. Cambrrrrridge
    2. Belfast
    3. ??
    4. ??
    I can't choose your med schools for you, but I have a couple of pieces of advice. First, your UKCAT score is well above average, and while you shouldn't apply to Newcastle you would be fine applying to Sheffield (their threshold is ~640, from memory). Second, it is considered risky to apply to 2+ BMAT med schools, as you take the exam after applying, and would waste your applications if you perform badly. Only apply to 2+ BMAT med schools if you are confident of doing well. Overall, your CV looks very good, and I think you'll be successful - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I desperately need some advice!
    I achieved AABD in my AS levels which I got the other day (two A's in Chem and Bio, B in psychology and D in Spanish- which im dropping).
    Im really happy with the AAB its just the D thats worrying me as most medical schools want a C/B in the 4th AS level?
    I know some med schools dont look at AS levels but they tend to focus more on the UKCAT which I only achieved a 645 average in (band 1 SJT) so now im completely stcuk on where to apply :/
    At GCSE I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 3B's but one of those A*'s in in a Citizenship short course which I dont think counts :confused:
    My first choice was Leeds but I dont know if ive messed my chances up, any advice would be helpful
    The wiki article on 'A Level requirement' will tell you which ones require a grade of C or above in the 4th AS - there are lots that don't. And the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' will highlight the med schools for which a good UKCAT score is needed. You need to go through the med schools one by one and ask yourself:
    - can I apply? (do I have the grades? am I above any UKCAT threshold? etc)
    - should I apply? (will my application be competitive?)
    - do I want to apply? (do I like the city? etc)

You could also investigate the possibility of resitting Spanish, or doing a further AS in Y13 - this may allow you to apply to uni's that are currently out of reach (check with them first that they'll be OK with such a strategy) and it would give you more options if you have to take a gap year.

Leeds will assess your academic potential by scoring your best GCSEs and your AS grades, and they will credit you with the better of the two scores. Your GCSE B's and some A's won't count towards your score, but you'll be up against a lot of people with AAAA and 7-8 A*'s, so I'd probably advise against applying there (sorry).

Overall, however, you still stand a good chance of getting into medicine - just apply to the right places. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joycee)
    I applied for medicine last year and I got 4 rejections. However, i got an MPharm offer at university of Hertfordshire. I decided to accept the offer and reapply for medicine year 2014.
    i wad rejected from oxford, uni of bristol, ucl and imperial.
    Now i have the following results.
    Ukcat
    Verbal reasoning 470
    Quantitative reasoning 690
    Abstract reasoning 650
    Decision Analysis 840
    With an average of around 663
    And band 2 on the situational judgement
    Olevels
    chemistry A*
    physics A*
    biology A*
    math A*
    ICT A*
    business A*
    english as a second language A
    arabic as a first language B
    alevels
    chemistry A*
    physics A*
    biology A*
    math A*
    also i ranked top in the world math AS
    top in saudi arabia physics AS
    and second place highest across four AS
    i managed to get little work experience because i live in a very restricted country ( kingdom of saudi arabia)
    i worked for 2 weeks at a local clinic
    and for 2 weeks at a hospital
    and now im visiting a nearby elderly home 3 times a week

i would like to listen to any recommendations regarding which universities shall I apply to with greatest chance of receiving an offer noting that I am an international student.

Please help I cant imagine that after all this academic success yet i cant get into the medical school i want.

my dream is to study at king's college of london or queen mary's do you think i stand a chance there ???
    Hi, you have a very good academic record, and more shadowing / volunteering that many UK applicants. If you have found it hard to get more experience, your referee should say so in his/her reference.

The only problem I can see with your CV is the score of 470 on verbal reasoning. Some med schools apply thresholds to each component as well as to the overall UKCAT score, so you'll have to do some research on the policies of your preferred uni's.

You should also check the wiki article on applying whilst on a different course, as some med schools may refuse to consider you, or may impose additional requirements...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...fferent_Course

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliam)
    I need some advice too. I didn't do any GCSEs because I was living abroad (I'm a Brit though ) but I'm doing A levels. I just got my AS results: A Maths, B English, B Chemistry, C Biology. I got a UKCAT of 3290, and all my B/Cs are borderline the grade above - which unis should I go for? I anticipate A*AAB next year, but with the B in Bio...
    Foreign qualifications are normally accepted in lieu of GCSEs, but I have no idea how they would be scored at med schools that rank applicants according to how good their GCSEs are. My advice would be to apply to med schools that give a lot of weight to GCSE scores (see wiki article on 'applying using your strengths') but I would check with them that they can handle foreign qualifications and be fair to you. The same wiki article also highlights med schools that focus on AS grades, and you'll be at a disadvantage with them with ABBC (are you getting any re-marks done?). Your UKCAT will stand you in good stead at med schools which have a high threshold (eg, Newcastle) or which give it a large weighting factor (eg, Nottingham) - the same wiki article will tell you which uni's like a good UKCAT score. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriispy)
    What universities would I stand a chance with for medicine with these results;
    3A*s 5As 3Bs (GCSE)
    AAAB (AS level) (Biology,Chemistry,Physics+Maths )
    2520 in UKCAT (630 average)
    Read the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths'. While some med schools (fx, Newcastle) have ridiculously high UKCAT thresholds and others apply scoring systems that favour those with long strings of GCSE A*s, there are plenty of places that don't. In your shoes, I'd focus on med schools which judge academic potential on AS performance, but I'd check their UKCAT thresholds (if any) for the overall score and for each component. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harsh.boy365)
    Hi for GCSE i recieved 2A*,6A,2B (In literature and DT)
    I have just recieved my AS results and got:
    Biology: A (262/300)
    Maths: A (262/300)
    Chemistry : B (223/300)
    Physics: B (217/300)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance
    Academically, you can get into medicine with those grades. You won't be able to apply everywhere (see wiki article on 'applying using your strengths') but you should have plenty of choices.

It's hard to tell how much relevant experience you have - have you done any volunteering? was the consultancy w/e relevant to medicine? what were you during during the dentist w/e? The main purposes of doing such w/e are to convince yourself that you're choosing the right profession, to convince the med schools that you're making an informed choice and won't drop out when you realise you've made a mistake, and to create opportunities for learning which you can reflect on in your PS. For the latter, the amount of experience is less important than what you got out of it, and what you can talk about in your PS. HTH, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    I can't choose your med schools for you, but I have a couple of pieces of advice. First, your UKCAT score is well above average, and while you shouldn't apply to Newcastle you would be fine applying to Sheffield (their threshold is ~640, from memory). Second, it is considered risky to apply to 2+ BMAT med schools, as you take the exam after applying, and would waste your applications if you perform badly. Only apply to 2+ BMAT med schools if you are confident of doing well. Overall, your CV looks very good, and I think you'll be successful - good luck!

Thank you so much for your comment!!!

Yeah, I buried the idea of 2 BMAT schools long time ago

I'm thinking about for cambridge, QUB, aberdeen and maybe nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    I will be in the first year of a different course when I apply - so my choices are limited. I got 725 and band 2 in UKCAT.

VR : 580
    QR: 750
    AR: 670
    DA: 900

Is my UKCAT score good enough for Plymouth, Glasgow (Rest of UK applicant), Newcastle/Durham? I wish I could apply to Exeter but I can't. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone prepare for the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i just got my results and will be predicted 3 A's in my three A2 subjects but i got a C for history and B in crit thinking. I got 10 A*'s at gcse just wondering if a good UKCAT and my gcse's will make up for the C if i want to apply to kings college london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    The wiki article on 'A Level requirement' will tell you which ones require a grade of C or above in the 4th AS - there are lots that don't. And the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' will highlight the med schools for which a good UKCAT score is needed. You need to go through the med schools one by one and ask yourself:
    - can I apply? (do I have the grades? am I above any UKCAT threshold? etc)
    - should I apply? (will my application be competitive?)
    - do I want to apply? (do I like the city? etc)

You could also investigate the possibility of resitting Spanish, or doing a further AS in Y13 - this may allow you to apply to uni's that are currently out of reach (check with them first that they'll be OK with such a strategy) and it would give you more options if you have to take a gap year.

Leeds will assess your academic potential by scoring your best GCSEs and your AS grades, and they will credit you with the better of the two scores. Your GCSE B's and some A's won't count towards your score, but you'll be up against a lot of people with AAAA and 7-8 A*'s, so I'd probably advise against applying there (sorry).

Overall, however, you still stand a good chance of getting into medicine - just apply to the right places. Good luck!
    Leeds use more than academics though as well dont they? They take ps and reference into account along with predicted grades which I think im predicted A*A*A so if I just keep working on a really good personal statement would I be in with a chance? Ive got quite a bit of work experience and volunteering which I believe I can write a lot about. However could you suggest a place where you think I have a good chance without resitting spanish (I dont want it to impact on my A2 grades). If I take the BMAT and do well in it would I be in with a shot there? :confused:

EDIT: I checked and I meet the minnimum entry requirements of the following uni's:
    Aberdeen
    Dundee
    Durham
    Glasgow
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Nottingham
    St andrews
    Sheffield
    UCL

which of these would I have a competitive edge at or at least a realstic opportunity? (UKCAT = 645 avg)

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for medicine finishing my A levels in July 2014. However I have not done great in my AS levels. I got a C in my chemistry and even after remarking it is still a C. I have got two As in Biology and Maths. Which universities could I apply to and possibly have a chance of getting an offer? Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temmystical)
    I will be in the first year of a different course when I apply - so my choices are limited. I got 725 and band 2 in UKCAT.
    VR : 580
    QR: 750
    AR: 670
    DA: 900
    Is my UKCAT score good enough for Plymouth, Glasgow (Rest of UK applicant), Newcastle/Durham? I wish I could apply to Exeter but I can't. Thanks.
    I assume you've read the wiki article on applying while studying another course? Your overall UKCAT score of 725 is good enough to apply anywhere, even Newcastle (assuming they don't increase the threshold again - at 695 or 697.5 it is already amazingly high). I don't know how the SJT bands are used by med schools however - perhaps others can answer whether being in band 2 would have any impact on your applications.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.