Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    If it's the latter (as a means of justifying progressive taxation) then the corollary should also hold that all other laws should depend on the "sacrifice" or "impact" which would include prison sentences.
    Are you mad?! Are you seriously saying that because the wealth of someone is taken into account when they are taxed that the same should hold for every criteria, including prison sentences? How can you justify this insane point of view apart from some tripe about "equality before law".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Are you mad?! Are you seriously saying that because the wealth of someone is taken into account when they are taxed that the same should hold for every criteria, including prison sentences? How can you justify this insane point of view apart from some tripe about "equality before law".
    I'm saying that if the justification for charging one person a higher rate of tax is to equalise the "impact" of the tax then by the same logic one should want to equalise the "impact" of a prison sentence or other form of punishment which should then take into account the person's usual lifestyle.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm saying that if the justification for charging one person a higher rate of tax is to equalise the "impact" of the tax then by the same logic one should want to equalise the "impact" of a prison sentence or other form of punishment which should then take into account the person's usual lifestyle.
    Unless... :O everyones lifestyle is equall :-o:-o:-o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Unless... :O everyones lifestyle is equall :-o:-o:-o
    Which of course it isn't.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Which of course it isn't.
    I strongly think it is. Can you give an example as to why it isn't?

ReputationRep:

1. An unemployed person, sitting around doing nothing much and earning JSA living in a council house.

2. A Doctor, working 48+ hours a week, living in a 6 bed house with a wife and 3 kids, going on holiday 4,5,6 times a year.

Need I elaborate on the lifestyle differences?

Or does the leader of the TSR lib dems seriously think that someone who has just lost their job has the same lifestyle as a well paid businessman?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    1. An unemployed person, sitting around doing nothing much and earning JSA living in a council house.

2. A Doctor, working 48+ hours a week, living in a 6 bed house with a wife and 3 kids, going on holiday 4,5,6 times a year.

Need I elaborate on the lifestyle differences?

Or does the leader of the TSR lib dems seriously think that someone who has just lost their job has the same lifestyle as a well paid businessman?
    They are different lifestyles, but equal, so long as the person on jsa has good reason to be on it.

ReputationRep:
    Missed this post. I assumed you were joking earlier. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    They are different lifestyles, but equal.
    They are different but equal?

That sounds like an oxymoron, much like the Labour Party’s disgustingly discriminatory so called ‘Equality Bill’.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

ReputationRep:
    They are different lifestyles, but equal, so long as the person on jsa has good reason to be on it.
    So you're honestly saying that a week in prison has the same impact on a homeless man with no family as on a man with a mansion and five kids, just as a simple example?

I genuinely thought you were joking before...

ReputationRep:

OK, so what would you say is good reason to be on JSA?

And secondly can you clarify what you mean by different but equal? What are the boundaries for this "different but equal" rule - is a family in Africa living on food aid different but equal to the family in the UK earning £100k?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    They are different but equal?

That sounds like an oxymoron, much like the Labour Party’s disgustingly discriminatory so called ‘Equality Bill’.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
    I dont think its an oxymoron. Everyone is treated differently in certain situations. My example of this is islamic looking people being stop searched after an islamic terrorist attack. But as long as they are treated equaly, thus white people would be stop searched more if there was a christian extreamist attack and as long as these arrests comply to the same standards and regulations of ordinary arrests then they are being treated differantly, but equaly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So you're honestly saying that a week in prison has the same impact on a homeless man with no family as on a man with a mansion and five kids, just as a simple example?

I genuinely thought you were joking before...
    I think it can afect them the same yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it can afect them the same yes.
    Then could you please do everyone a favour and include the following caveat in your manifesto:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Please Note: The Leader of this Party believes that a prison sentence affects all people the same regardless of their personal situations. This includes affecting a homeless person with no family the same as a rich person with five children.

or if you want to save space:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Please Note: The Leader of this Party does not live in the same reality as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    Let us imagine a one-world government in which every country came under the same jurisdiction.

Now, if ‘rich’ people should be forced to give up more of their excess wealth for the sake of ‘poor’ people, I suppose you would agree that we should all be forced donate our excess money to Africa where the vast majority are even ‘poorer’ than us.
    **** YES!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its an oxymoron. Everyone is treated differently in certain situations. My example of this is islamic looking people being stop searched after an islamic terrorist attack. But as long as they are treated equaly, thus white people would be stop searched more if there was a christian extreamist attack and as long as these arrests comply to the same standards and regulations of ordinary arrests then they are being treated differantly, but equaly.
    Ah, but are they treated equally before the law?

White people commit a lot more crime than any other group in England. However it's the ethnic minorities that are discriminated against before the police as by proportion to population size are stopped and searched MORE than white people. Not just muslims, but black people too. How on earth is this equal before the law?!

It's like you walked forward one step and fell down a waterfall

ReputationRep:
    How are they equal?

Define an equal lifestyle, I doubt you could for it would take you to be very subjective and there's no truth or social fact in that.

-Note: Sorry for hi-jacking labour thread, but he's just digging a pit.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Podgeykins)
    Ah, but are they treated equally before the law?

White people commit a lot more crime than any other group in England. However it's the ethnic minorities that are discriminated against before the police as by proportion to population size are stopped and searched MORE than white people. Not just muslims, but black people too. How on earth is this equal before the law?!

It's like you walked forward one step and fell down a waterfall
    Yes. And we must do everything we can to stop racism in the force and elswere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And we must do everything we can to stop racism in the force and elswere.
    Like?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Podgeykins)
    How are they equal?

Define an equal lifestyle, I doubt you could for it would take you to be very subjective and there's no truth or social fact in that.

-Note: Sorry for hi-jacking labour thread, but he's just digging a pit.
    You made my point. Nobody can be defined equal by one person. They are of equal worth. A person is a human and all humans are worth the same.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.