ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    It's on the daily mail site, here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-pupils.html
    That article is a year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    That article is a year old.
    Yep, it's been around since at least 2012: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...00-pupils.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW12345)
    Yep, it's been around since at least 2012: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...00-pupils.html
    I did read somewhere that A level results have dropped for a 2nd time in a row so that means something and could relate to AS as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    It has been extremely harsh, several boards, OCR in particular, are actually being investigated at the moment for it and millions of papers are being remarked.
    OMG OCR has been the worst (as per haha). but seriously its ridiculous no one in my music class got a high grade and we were all predicted A's. Same goes for bio and all the other OCR subjects. Such a shock to find that out. Its good they're being remarked they need to get better!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh sh*t, I was looking at the date at the top of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedomtocreate)
    I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!
    Does your school/college offer economics? Along the same lines as business, but more respected by unis and, imo, more fun (but I am a biased economics student here ). Also, maybe look at the information the unis you're looking at have on taking law at A level. If you're applying to top places they may not prefer it.

Anyway, history is, arguably, the best subject to take as a potential law student so as you like it you may as well take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa17)
    Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!

Yeah I've got a B and I JUST noticed that I hate it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucine.B)
    OMG OCR has been the worst (as per haha). but seriously its ridiculous no one in my music class got a high grade and we were all predicted A's. Same goes for bio and all the other OCR subjects. Such a shock to find that out. Its good they're being remarked they need to get better!!!
    they';re not haha , the date of that article is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    they';re not haha , the date of that article is wrong
    Damn, what a shame haha I was gonna apply for a remark!!! Its just so annoying. Really don't think its fair but whatevs

ReputationRep:
    Guys please give me any advice
    Click the link bellow:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2434702

ReputationRep:
    Do papers from the same school get marked by the same examiner ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got BCC, but my English Literature mark for the exam was messed up. I felt like that was one of the best essays I had ever done, and I've been working at an A/B grade in class all year, but my exam results came back and said that I'd gotten an E in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    Do papers from the same school get marked by the same examiner ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good question,

probably not in my opinion but im guessing one examiner will get quite a few papers from the same school (since papers are sent in packages from schools i guess it will be hard to separate them when they get to the exam board)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    Ditto the offer to send notes if you share a book with me, I did enduring love and Gatsby and coursework was A Midsummer Nights Dream and The History Boys lemme know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not really fair, I mean the coursework plays a hefty part in the results. What are you going to do then resit or remark? I'm going back to college. I was in sixth form and the teachers there are spread way too thin. One time I didn't have an English lesson in three weeks, we were all panicking. Did you do English Lit or language? If you are doing English Lit tell me what books you were studying if your resitting and doing the same books as I did I could send you my notes.
    Thanks very much to both of you, however, I am not resitting. I am going to get a remark (1 raw mark off of a C) and I will proceed to dropping the subject to evade the torturous lessons of my horrid English teacher. I will only have 2 A2s but plan to fast-track ICT AS and A2 in order to still get to uni for 2014 entry.

ReputationRep:
    I think so,

I got BBD.

But in the subject I got a D in I was only 9 marks off a B. No Joke.

I think at A level those sort of boundaries are unfair. But I don't think that the people who got like 4 E's have really prepared for the exams because you simply can't do that if you have revised unless the boundaries have messed up. I would just find it weird that all 4 exams are E's.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!
    Don't do it the boundaries are tight and you are discriminated against if you aren't good at english.

ReputationRep:
    I do get your point but don't you think you're being a tad harsh, we don't know the situations of the people who got kicked out of sixth form who seem to be really hard working people, it may be down to them it may not be. I personally find exams exams rather hard but my class work is really good, this is generally due to my exam technique, but I seem to be able to pull out adequate results although. What we need to remember is however hard we work there is always a politically spin on the way the exam results go, after all are any parts of society untouched by political bias? I may seem like I'm just blaming the government but in reality I think it's down to a number of factors:

1) Politics (type of exams/grade boundaries)
    2) Society (Most people think that getting into an elite university or any university at all is really really important at this age and especially those in the middle class comps think they have a really really decent shot at Cambridge when usually only 1 per year get in- I'm not saying don't aim high but sometimes places like Cambridge isn't the right place for a person)
    3) The amount of work a person puts in
    4) The Exams themselves (some people naturally excel at exams and others don't find it so easy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    One word.

Gove.
    Think he was daft getting rid of January resists (what benefit is that like) and starting this new system, they should just leave it alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayonara)
    I believe the AS markings are not harsh at all. They will add the appropriate grade boundaries for varying difficulties of exam papers.

I see many people get full UMS in many exams. So, in my opinion, the AS markings are very, very fair.

If AS markings were to be soft, then what is the point of exams? They need to be harsh to measure a person's capabilities successfully. If they lower the standards, the quality of education and potential employees will decline. People will always get the grade they deserve (except for certain reasons such as medical reasons of course).

Edit: I understand if some people have achieved very poor grades; the poor grades should be a wake up call for these people to work harder and/or alter their revision methods, rather than spending this time giving me a thumbs down. The harshness of markings will prepare you for the real world - prepare you for the standards of work that your employer expects from you. Higher grade boundaries motivate people to work much more harder and it raises standards. Without standards, then as a country (United Kingdom), we won't be able to succeed and surpass other countries. Many second world countries have surpassed USA in terms of education already! Why? USA has low grade boundaries and there are too many people achieving an A. An A will be worth less if markings were to be less harsh. For example, the exam system wouldn't work if everyone who sat an AS exam achieved an A, would it? The 'A' wouldn't mean anything in this case as it cannot be used as a measure of capability for universities and employers. Although, feel free to thumb me down if it really makes you feel any better... Don't give up, keep your head high and try your best! People who face trouble often blame it on others as a way out; instead of blaming the exam boards, blame yourself - it's not the exam's fault, the exam system is not harsh - it may be your revision method, exam technique and/or perhaps you didn't put enough hardwork into it. It's up to the candidate whether they can achieve a good grade or not. Don't blame your friends and family either, if your friends asked you to hang out, you are free to stay home and study, no one's forcing you and at the end of the day, you have free will. Remember this is not GCSE standard. An A Level qualification will no longer be a valid achievement if it was too easy for everyone - I mean... look at GCSEs, GCSEs are not that valuable.
    I do get your point but don't you think you're being a tad harsh, we don't know the situations of the people who got kicked out of sixth form who seem to be really hard working people, it may be down to them it may not be. I personally find exams exams rather hard but my class work is really good, this is generally due to my exam technique, but I seem to be able to pull out adequate results although. What we need to remember is however hard we work there is always a politically spin on the way the exam results go, after all are any parts of society untouched by political bias? I may seem like I'm just blaming the government but in reality I think it's down to a number of factors:

1) Politics (type of exams/grade boundaries)
    2) Society (Most people think that getting into an elite university or any university at all is really really important at this age and especially those in the middle class comps think they have a really really decent shot at Cambridge when usually only 1 per year get in- I'm not saying don't aim high but sometimes places like Cambridge isn't the right place for a person)
    3) The amount of work a person puts in
    4) The Exams themselves (some people naturally excel at exams and others don't find it so easy)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.