Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we'll hear from the Slade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stitchwitch)
    No, the wait is killing me. A student said 1-2 weeks after they finish interviews (which was the middle of last week), so hopefully this week but maybe next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelveticaBold)
    No, the wait is killing me. A student said 1-2 weeks after they finish interviews (which was the middle of last week), so hopefully this week but maybe next week.
    the wait is killing me too :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I called the Slade yesterday and they told me all decisions will be made within the end of march. UGHHHHHHHHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kasiapapi)
    I called the Slade yesterday and they told me all decisions will be made within the end of march. UGHHHHHHHHHH
    So we'll know by the end of this week/next Monday then? Or will it take a while to come through UCAS? I just want to know.

ReputationRep:
    She said all the offers and rejections will be made by this time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kasiapapi)
    She said all the offers and rejections will be made by this time
    Is that by the end of March?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Has anyone been to a Goldsmiths interview for Fine Art yet? Any advise on what they might ask, how to prepare, how many sheets or pieces of work to bring? what kind of work to bring? (would it be an issue if there wasn't any photography?) Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlPalm)
    Is that by the end of March?
    correct

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Are you going to accept?

My email just said a 'portfolio of recent work'. I think how many you should take depends on how much you want to talk about each, also three of my pieces are films and if they want to look at all three that will take up more time.
    If you've been taking 20 to other interviews and you had time to talk about the pieces you wanted to, then I'm sure 20 will be fine for Goldsmiths.
    Thanks for the reassurance.

I think thats what mine said too. I have been taking around 20 for each, but mostly have been given a 10 minute interview, which doesn't leave much time to talk anything! Tutors have tended to look through my portfolio themselves then ask any questions they wanted to. So 25 minutes from Goldsmiths seems like loads of time. I'd ideally like to discuss more themes/concepts with them and have them ask any key questions, rather than talk through every piece as I think it gets a bit monotonous. I don't want to take too many, however i'm finding the selection process hard!
    They said they'd have a laptop so I'm sure they will I find video work really interesting, I've never made any as I'm so crap with computers so am put off by it. I'm really into performance art but I've only ever recorded it through a series of still photos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NancyDewhurst)
    Hi! Has anyone been to a Goldsmiths interview for Fine Art yet? Any advise on what they might ask, how to prepare, how many sheets or pieces of work to bring? what kind of work to bring? (would it be an issue if there wasn't any photography?) Thanks!
    I haven't had my interview yet but I know they're hot on the conceptual side, so it would be good to be clear on the concepts/themes behind your work and why you want to make it. I imagine they'll ask how you would exhibit your work, your influences. They're bound to ask 'why goldsmiths' and question what you will do when you start the course (as they want their students working independently).
    I've been told a good amount of pieces is 15 - 20, and it really depends on how many you feel are necessary. Don't include anything that isn't necessary and I'd say try to include as few as possible (closer to 15). If photography isn't part of your practice then it wouldn't be relevant to include. I'd say try and refine it as much as possible, and try to avoid including works that show you can draw, paint etc as I'm sure they see it all time. I'd definitely say no life drawing, but that's just my opinion. I'm only currently interested in abstract art now, but used to work very figuratively and spend weeks on one drawing, there's a lot of temptation to put some of those in to show that I can draw, but it actually takes away from the rest of the portfolio and makes it look uncertain. My portfolio actually flows a lot better replacing them with drawings that took me ten minutes, because they're much more relevant to my work now.
    I'm rambling but I hope this helps a bit?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stitchwitch)
    Good luck with your Slade applications guys, remember they didn't interview many people so you stand a really good chance

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    i'm quite worried about my offers for this year- had my interview at the slade 2 weeks ago, and the wait is literally killing me- especially with people and teachers trying to be kind to you and asking u all the time about the offers u received.. it's a really stressful year, and i just want it to be over... would actually be over the moon if i get into the salde, the interview was fun... felt like they gave me the chance to talk about my work (they asked some tricky questions in relation to some of my ideas); i got a bit carried away with som e of the answers. But they didn't give any impression or indication at the end of the interview which is just making it worse to wait for the decision.
    Any thoughts about living in london? i'm worried about financial issues, i think i'll be entitled to the max maintenance loan, but is it actually enough for a decent living in london??? will be waiting for your replies .. pls let us know if u get any offers good luck for u all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omifeeney)
    I haven't had my interview yet but I know they're hot on the conceptual side, so it would be good to be clear on the concepts/themes behind your work and why you want to make it. I imagine they'll ask how you would exhibit your work, your influences. They're bound to ask 'why goldsmiths' and question what you will do when you start the course (as they want their students working independently).
    I've been told a good amount of pieces is 15 - 20, and it really depends on how many you feel are necessary. Don't include anything that isn't necessary and I'd say try to include as few as possible (closer to 15). If photography isn't part of your practice then it wouldn't be relevant to include. I'd say try and refine it as much as possible, and try to avoid including works that show you can draw, paint etc as I'm sure they see it all time. I'd definitely say no life drawing, but that's just my opinion. I'm only currently interested in abstract art now, but used to work very figuratively and spend weeks on one drawing, there's a lot of temptation to put some of those in to show that I can draw, but it actually takes away from the rest of the portfolio and makes it look uncertain. My portfolio actually flows a lot better replacing them with drawings that took me ten minutes, because they're much more relevant to my work now.
    I'm rambling but I hope this helps a bit?!
    Thanks! That really does help. Is that specifically to do with Goldsmiths or are you applying it to all of your interviews? Good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr211)
    hi guys,
    i'm quite worried about my offers for this year- had my interview at the slade 2 weeks ago, and the wait is literally killing me- especially with people and teachers trying to be kind to you and asking u all the time about the offers u received.. it's a really stressful year, and i just want it to be over... would actually be over the moon if i get into the salde, the interview was fun... felt like they gave me the chance to talk about my work (they asked some tricky questions in relation to some of my ideas); i got a bit carried away with som e of the answers. But they didn't give any impression or indication at the end of the interview which is just making it worse to wait for the decision.
    Any thoughts about living in london? i'm worried about financial issues, i think i'll be entitled to the max maintenance loan, but is it actually enough for a decent living in london??? will be waiting for your replies .. pls let us know if u get any offers good luck for u all
    The accommodation for UCL is the most expensive I've seen and I've heard the maintenance loan barely covers your rent. :/ Housing in London is ridiculous. I guess you just have to be really well organised with budgeting.
    Good luck with Slade. I'm just gonna go refresh my e-mails again, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Envious of you being eligible to maintenance loan. They don't give these to foreigners. On another note, I already found a job in London so maybe it won't be too bad (if, of course, Slade accepts me).

Please write as soon as you get an offer/reject (hoping for the 1st) and good luck to everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NancyDewhurst)
    Thanks! That really does help. Is that specifically to do with Goldsmiths or are you applying it to all of your interviews? Good luck with yours!
    I'm glad pretty much to all of them, my first interview was 2 months ago so I've changed my portfolio since. But different unis focus on different things, for example for my interview at Camberwell, I started off talking about the meaning behind every piece and basically got told to be quiet whilst the tutor looked through my work and made her own judgement. It depends who's interviewing too, but a strong and confident portfolio will stand out to all unis. Is Goldsmiths your first interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've just got back from my Goldsmiths interview and I have to say it was easily the best interviews I've had 😊. Some advice...

1. Make sure you know your work inside out. They ask ALOT of questions.
    2. Stay calm and maintain focus so you don't lose trail of thought.
    3. Be prepared to discuss your favourite piece as they may start of with this first then work through the rest.

I took about 15 sheets so about 15/20 is a sufficient number as the interview flies by surprisingly quick. The questions they ask are straight forward and will probably be asked to make you think about your work e.g. they asked me about what reaction I hoped to receive from my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr211)
    hi guys,
    I haven't applied to the Slade, but with regards to living in London expect to pay £600 a month inc bills for a nice size double room in a house/flat/area that isn't a ****hole or miles out. Cheapest you'll find is £500 a month but the room will be really small. Or if you don't mind moving further out and commuting to work/college you'll find cheaper (but I wouldn't recommend that, public transport in London is a nightmare). I currently get the max loan/grant which works out to be around £9000 for the academic year. My rent and bills are around £650 a month, I also work part time and earn around £500-£600 a month which I need to be comfortable and not worrying about money. Art making is expensive and you don't want to be held back by not being able to afford materials, so you will probably need a part time job. Most art students in London work part time and manage ok. Outside of work there's a lot of free/cheap things to do in the city. The food is a lot better and cheaper than smaller cities/towns inthe UK. And the best way to get around is cycling whic is free, so not everything's expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyHoccom)
    Hi everyone!

I've just got back from my Goldsmiths interview and I have to say it was easily the best interviews I've had . Some advice...

1. Make sure you know your work inside out. They ask ALOT of questions.
    2. Stay calm and maintain focus so you don't lose trail of thought.
    3. Be prepared to discuss your favourite piece as they may start of with this first then work through the rest.

I took about 15 sheets so about 15/20 is a sufficient number as the interview flies by surprisingly quick. The questions they ask are straight forward and will probably be asked to make you think about your work e.g. they asked me about what reaction I hoped to receive from my work.
    Yay, I'm glad it went well. Sounds like a great interview, I'm really looking forward to it now.
    How important were your sketchbooks in the interview? I don't really use them and I know some places like sketchbooks (while others don't care at all).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.