Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthlessv)
    closer to 19 years ago tbh mate.
    Lol. Eh anyway I am being a tiny bit overdramatic. Besides, I'd find it tough to redo stuff and get into medical school even with A*A*A* or whatever, cos of my 1A* at GCSE and the fact that I'm a re-doer/re-taker. But that sure is a guaranteed path to a good amount of monetary freedoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes feel bad that if I had got my arse in gear I could have been on a 29k grad scheme straight out of uni

Unfortunately my arse is never in gear

What bothers me more is how other poeple might judge me based on my income.

ReputationRep:
    It is very sad thinking that money buys happiness. Beyond a very low point (£22kpa) it decreases it - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...0-8968255.html

'In wealthy countries this “sweet spot” is found at around £22,100, after which, happiness decreases as our aspirations for better-quality housing, a higher standard of education and consumer goods lead to increased levels of anxiety and stress.'

It is a shame that we each have only one life, so we can't learn from mistakes that expand to cause dissatisfaction throughout a whole lifetime.

Maybe the thread ought to be 'how happy do you think you will be in your life?', 'what do you think will give you the most happiness in your life?' or 'how do you think you can maximise your happiness throughout your life?'. But I guess they are too difficult - and people who can't cope with those questions will still get stuck on the answer answer 'money'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Wow, you need to pipe the **** down. £25-£40k at 35 isn't terrible (well £25k is a bit on the low end, I'm on that now at 26 so I would be hoping to be at the upper end of that). Most people end up with average lives on average wages, there's no shame in that. I did an Econ degree at an alright uni and I reckon at my peak I'll be on around £50-60k. I'm more than happy with that.

The notion that you want to be on £80k at that age is laughable, basically no one does that. The sooner you accept that you're not a special snowflake with "unique" skills and intelligence, the better and further you are going to go in life.

By all means have ambition, but don't be a **** about it like you are now.
    Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthlessv)
    i'm being forced into doing it by my dad, i wanted to do chemical engineering. Apparently Asians dont think about job satisfaction, thats a white thing. Its probably for the best, costs a lot to run a BMW M3.
    Don't let him force you! Do what you want to do. You'll only end up regretting it in the long run. Medecine is a highly stressful career to do if you're not passionate about it. Also chem engineering is a great profession with good money Can't you just tell him it's your life and ultimately your decision? Surely he wouldn't want you to end up unhappy and resenting him

ReputationRep:
    Minimum target is 20k+ with my goal being 30k+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    You can make as much as you want. You just need to learn from the right people, be strategic. Play the long game. I've got a book coming out soon that might give you some answers.

I'm still at university, and I own several businesses, so between them I'm on a low salary but high benefits. If you were to factor in things like my house and car, I guess you'll probably be looking at something around $200,000 a year. For personal net worth, I'm aiming for $650,000,000 by 2036.

http://i59.tinypic.com/bf0tpt.jpg
    Elaborate...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you'll be ashamed of living an average life I feel sorry for you and your future family. People who look down on a £40k a year salary need a ****ing reality check.

Good luck to you. You'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    Would want to start off around at 20k and then progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Elaborate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    What bothers me more is how other poeple might judge me based on my income.
    Who cares about those oafs? :fluffy:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone can't have 80k jobs...

(Original post by kopi, ffs)
    Who cares about those oafs? :fluffy:
    Me! There's certain people in this thread I want to punch http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...lies/angry.gif

This is a very snobbish country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    It is very sad thinking that money buys happiness. Beyond a very low point (£22kpa) it decreases it - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...0-8968255.html

'In wealthy countries this “sweet spot” is found at around £22,100, after which, happiness decreases as our aspirations for better-quality housing, a higher standard of education and consumer goods lead to increased levels of anxiety and stress.'

It is a shame that we each have only one life, so we can't learn from mistakes that expand to cause dissatisfaction throughout a whole lifetime.

Maybe the thread ought to be 'how happy do you think you will be in your life?', 'what do you think will give you the most happiness in your life?' or 'how do you think you can maximise your happiness throughout your life?'. But I guess they are too difficult - and people who can't cope with those questions will still get stuck on the answer answer 'money'.
    Does a damn article and its suggestions thus mean I am wrong about my views of myself and what makes me, personally, happy? No. It's a generalisation. That outside influence is something I hate. That does not represent me. There's just four major material things I want in life. Four certain things... I'd like to remain ignorant of what others may see beyond me (and see due to being smarter in some way, possibly), until I have truly failed or am close to giving up, or death. Not now. Not whilst I still have the chance of getting into a top 6 uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At least 100k+ at some point during my career

Dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    What do you want to know?
    Well, may you further explain your story to me, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna put this here so people can re-evaluate what they think 'average' is accordingly.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...easury-009.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    At least 100k+ at some point during my career

Dentistry.
    Why didn't I go into dentistry Is it too late for me? If I don't get grades good enough to go to a top 8 uni next year/a really good one for economics, I'm seriously considering stopping everything, and just re doing A-levels as a whole, with Chemistry and Biology in there, with a dental application in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    If you'll be ashamed of living an average life I feel sorry for you and your future family. People who look down on a £40k a year salary need a ****ing reality check.

Good luck to you. You'll need it.
    Lol I'll earn at least 100k by the time I'm 32 if everything goes well for me. I'm willing to put the work in though, I will make that much.
    I don't need a reality check, what's 40k gonna buy you lmao. Is it gonna pay for a good car? A £500k mortgage ? Lol I don't think so.
    You need the reality check, the reason you think 40k a year is a lot because you strive to earn that much lol. I'd be embarrassed if I were you tbh. Get off your ass and make things happen.
    Your actually ridiculous and so are your comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Well, may you further explain your story to me, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it's quite simple. I was a music producer, ran my own music company which really started out as more of a glorified sole-trader than anything else - it was really just about teh name of owning a company, along with tax stuff, realised there's not a whole lot of money in music anymore, so used the money I made from that (which wasn't a huge amount, just enough to pay a few salaries and benefits) and launched more companies - not just in music, but in application development (which was just at the right time too), publishing and education. And they're doing quite well. Whenever I have the capital and a good idea, I launch another one in a another industry. Don't put your eggs in one basket - when one industry falls, another one rises, so make sure you're there to capitalise off it!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'll earn at least 100k by the time I'm 32 if everything goes well for me. I'm willing to put the work in though, I will make that much.
    I don't need a reality check, what's 40k gonna buy you lmao. Is it gonna pay for a good car? A £500k mortgage ? Lol I don't think so.
    You need the reality check, the reason you think 40k a year is a lot because you strive to earn that much lol. I'd be embarrassed if I were you tbh. Get off your ass and make things happen.
    Your actually ridiculous and so are your comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that's what I aspire to myself. Exactly that basically. So what do you do/will you do? You think an economics degree at a top 8 place would set me up to get to near such a salary in my mid 30s? A*A*A is what I feel I could get if I max.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.