Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalou87)
    whats a "pretty good" GAMSAT? I got 65 and I'm not sure whether to resit it for next year if I don't get in? N.B. Sitting on a 2:2 for my first degree, but a first for my second degree. Nottingham and Swansea will consider my most current degree, but most Uni's only consider the first degree along with a higher GAMSAT score (e.g. Nottingham wanted 62 with 2:1 or above but 66 for a 2:2 - fortunately they will consider my most current degree otherwise I wouldn't have even got an interview).

Advice would be appreciated - will resitting wipe my score for this year or can I pick the best one?

thanks in advance
    It says on the GAMSAT site you can pick the best one. I'd resit if you can spare the cash and time, at least you know you can only improve your (already good) score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat1217)
    It says on the GAMSAT site you can pick the best one. I'd resit if you can spare the cash and time, at least you know you can only improve your (already good) score.Posted from TSR Mobile
    fab. Thanks for the info. Resit it will be!

Good luck to people still waiting for the postman - I'm going to work, but have my nan on post-watch! How desperate am I?!

ReputationRep:
    fab. Thanks for the info. Resit it will be!

Good luck to people still waiting for the postman - I'm going to work, but have my nan on post-watch! How desperate am I?!
    I'm sat at work angsting wondering if I can get home and back at lunch before pm clinics begin 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So postman has been and gone but no letter :unimpressed: really hoping that no news is good news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nug)
    So postman has been and gone but no letter :unimpressed: really hoping that no news is good news!
    I was thinking (dangerous)... if people had post on Saturday then it was sent Friday (assuming first class), and it is unlikely that anyone is going to work over the weekend to send us letters... so they will send them today and we will get them tomorrow? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    whats a "pretty good" GAMSAT? I got 65 and I'm not sure whether to resit it for next year if I don't get in? N.B. Sitting on a 2:2 for my first degree, but a first for my second degree. Nottingham and Swansea will consider my most current degree, but most Uni's only consider the first degree along with a higher GAMSAT score (e.g. Nottingham wanted 62 with 2:1 or above but 66 for a 2:2 - fortunately they will consider my most current degree otherwise I wouldn't have even got an interview).

Advice would be appreciated - will resitting wipe my score for this year or can I pick the best one?

thanks in advance
    65 is a rather good score. Notts are the only ones to have a higher cut off for 2ii and just avoid whoever doesn't take the second degree. Unless criteria change in a big way, you should have two interviews in the bag already.
    Perhaps email around and see which of the UKCAT places take a second undergraduate degree.

ReputationRep:

thanks in advance
    I am interested in the answers to this! If I don't get in I'm not sure whether to resit my GAMSAT score of 64.... I don't want the score to go down? Although Nottingham have posted their GAMSAT cut offs for the last ten years, and it has never once been above 62. So logic would say we are safe, but I would hate myself if it went up to 65!

EDIT... Just the seen the post saying we can pick the best score. Amazing if that's really true. Although I'm still not sure if it's worth the 280 pounds to resit a 64.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do people think about a GAMSAT of 61? Not sure if I want to ruin the next few months of my life again! Haha... Also is September the only GAMSAT?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katzyboy)
    What do people think about a GAMSAT of 61? Not sure if I want to ruin the next few months of my life again! Haha... Also is September the only GAMSAT?!
    You can do it in Ireland too, that's in March (so I'm afraid you've just missed it).

I would definitely re-do a GAMSAT of 61, it's too much on the edge, and last year the jump up was quite big. I had 60 the year before and I'm glad I re-took.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    65 is a rather good score. Notts are the only ones to have a higher cut off for 2ii and just avoid whoever doesn't take the second degree. Unless criteria change in a big way, you should have two interviews in the bag already.
    Perhaps email around and see which of the UKCAT places take a second undergraduate degree.
    (Original post by nug)
    Thanks Zorg. I will enquire about UKCAT.

Nan post-watch reports no news this is agony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don'tMessThisUp)
    Well don't give up yet! Is one year really that big a difference? I'm waiting on Notts, but I've got Exeter and even now I'm having second thoughts about the 5 year charges, and whether it's worth just waiting another year if I don't get one of my other three...
    Your encouragement is appreciated! One year doesn't make that much difference, no, it's just that at my "advanced age" I am sure the selectors will wonder how many useful years of service they will get from me! I wish I could have second thoughts about the five-year fees but in my case I don't have access to £45,000, simple as! I wouldn't wait another year if you have the funds to start now. If you haven't heard from Nottingham yet, I reckon you're very likely to get an offer so it may not be a dilemma much longer! Good luck!

ReputationRep:

thanks in advance
    Hi Emmalou87. I got 67 which should be enough for next year so I think I'll concentrate on trying to rectify the areas I scored badly on at the interviews. I will cross my fingers for you. Not long to wait now!

ReputationRep:
    A few questions to ask....

(1) For anyone who is reading this who got rejected last year or previously and came back the next year to be accepted onto a GEM course - what did you do in your year out?

(2) For those who are on the waiting list, post up what scores you got so we can try and work out where we are maybe?

(3) What plans do other people have if they are going to reapply next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane1296)
    Oh, sorry to hear you're in the same position! My GAMSAT, which was pretty good, is valid for another year and I can use my Personal Statement again so I could apply again, concentrating on improvements rather than starting again from scratch, but I will have to think about it. A sane person might say I should just choose another career rather than waste another year thinking about GEM. I'd love to say I would go for the 5-year course but it would be impossible as I would not be able to pay the tuition fees. How about you?
    My GAMSAT was on the borderline (61), so may end up missing out on notts but would be ok (I hope) for swansea which seemed to like me better than notts haha. But otherwise the same as you, I'll end up applying again although my original thought was NOO but after a day to think I already know I'll be posting on these damn threads again next year haha. I won't be applying to the 5yr due to cost and A levels but hey ho.

ReputationRep:
    Your encouragement is appreciated! One year doesn't make that much difference, no, it's just that at my "advanced age" I am sure the selectors will wonder how many useful years of service they will get from me! I wish I could have second thoughts about the five-year fees but in my case I don't have access to £45,000, simple as! I wouldn't wait another year if you have the funds to start now. If you haven't heard from Nottingham yet, I reckon you're very likely to get an offer so it may not be a dilemma much longer! Good luck!
    Jane, I have a place on a six-year course in case I don't get into GEM. The finance side really doesn't look as bad as I had envisaged, and I certainly don't have £45,000 kicking around either, ha! Several universities offer small bursaries each year, fees for the final two years are paid by the NHS, and there is also the BMA charity to consider. It's a daunting prospect, but with part-time work, the funding I've mentioned, overdraft and a bank loan, I'll be able to pay my fees. Also note that most universities allow you to pay in instalments spread across the year.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced? I'm 29, I feel advanced - are you in the same boat? They can't discriminate against you because of age, but I think there is an upper limit for some of them, implying that you need to be able to graduate and work for a bit before you retire...

I do have access but in the sense that money was offered to me to help, and now both my and offerer's money situations have changed, which won't make it harder but means that people will have to make some pretty big decisions, and I don't know if I want to be the one responsible for that. Fingers crossed Nottingham will just say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topsibelle)
    Jane, I have a place on a six-year course in case I don't get into GEM. The finance side really doesn't look as bad as I have envisaged, and I certainly don't have £45,000 kicking around either, ha! Several universities offer small bursaries each year, fees for the final two years are paid by the NHS, and there is also the BMA charity to consider. It's a daunting prospect, but with part-time work, the funding I've mentioned, overdraft and a bank loan, I'll be able to pay my fees. Also note that most universities allow you to pay in instalments spread across the year.
    Topsibelle - are you doing the full 6 year course? Is that with intercalation? If you already have a degree you can skip the intercalated degree, or do a masters (which will push up your F1/F2 application score).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don'tMessThisUp)
    Advanced? I'm 29, I feel advanced - are you in the same boat? They can't discriminate against you because of age, but I think there is an upper limit for some of them, implying that you need to be able to graduate and work for a bit before you retire...

I do have access but in the sense that money was offered to me to help, and now both my and offerer's money situations have changed, which won't make it harder but means that people will have to make some pretty big decisions, and I don't know if I want to be the one responsible for that. Fingers crossed Nottingham will just say yes.
    At 28 I feel extremely 'advanced' - I've been offered a place on a 5-yr course and the thought of all those fresh faced 18 year olds fills me with dread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat1217)
    At 28 I feel extremely 'advanced' - I've been offered a place on a 5-yr course and the thought of all those fresh faced 18 year olds fills me with dread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup, when I started thinking about this a couple of years ago, getting my shizzle together, I was 27 and okay with it, and now I'm 29 and thinking, ****, I'll be 30 in my first year... I look younger and I might be able to get away with it, but the reality is I'm 10 years older than the majority of the 5/6 year cohorts, and more like 6 years older than the Grad ones (though their numbers are very spread).

When I applied last year, the majority of my interview associates were in their late 20s, this year, I found it more young-mid 20s. Don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    There are two letters waiting for me at home apparently. One 'Bank Statement ish' and one is Private and Confidential and half the size which sounds like a rejection letter to me, cos that's how it came last year.

We'll see in a couple of hours, I guess!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.