Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Tell them too...

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/gr...aspx?cid=fs055

They take just about anyone and there is continous recruitment. Certain people think its below them working for like the tube,lol

Yes, guess that might be it.

They're all going for the banks and law firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    If you want to be an academic, I agree.

But the OP has no intention of becoming one. He just wants a grad job.
    Why do you keep trying to justify to the world computer science at aberdeen. You should be happy yourself that you got it, you shouldnt care what other people think. They are going to believe what they want too. Is as if your ashamed, i dont have have to justify to anyone geography at kcl or pharmacy at ucl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    Yes, guess that might be it.

They're all going for the banks and law firms.
    As long as you give me a good pay check every month. I don't care who its from

ReputationRep:
    As long as you give me a good pay check every month. I don't care who its from
    Actually spoke too soon, a lot if the requirements have gone up to the usual 2.1 .

Finance has.

ReputationRep:
    Actually spoke too soon, a lot if the requirements have gone up to the usual 2.1 .

Finance has.
    Things when you apply if the vacancies remain unfilled they have to put bums on seats, its paid from the taxpayer. So they reduce entry requirements, because when training people up its like school again. No points training a small class, so TFL and places take a risk on people. Likelihood is 7/10 people stay that is good. Same with NHS grad schemes, low entry.

ReputationRep:
    Things when you apply if the vacancies remain unfilled they have to put bums on seats, its paid from the taxpayer. So they reduce entry requirements, because when training people up its like school again. No points training a small class, so TFL and places take a risk on people. Likelihood is 7/10 people stay that is good. Same with NHS grad schemes, low entry.

So you're saying the 2.1 req is just a token, depending on if there are places or not ?

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying the 2.1 req is just a token, depending on if there are places or not ?
    Depends where you apply too, i know quite a few people that got 2:2 and just scrapped that ended up working for government grad schemes. They are doing well in them because they just progress you overtime, provided your loyal etc, like the home office. Check out MI5 grad scheme it will make you laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you apply too, i know quite a few people that got 2:2 and just scrapped that ended up working for government grad schemes. They are doing well in them because they just progress you overtime, provided your loyal etc, like the home office. Check out MI5 grad scheme it will make you laugh.

Laugh ? Why ?

ReputationRep:
    Laugh ? Why ?
    https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/gradu...abilities.aspx

Pretty much nothing and its a good salary.

There more interested in your 5 year history checks, stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/gradu...abilities.aspx

Pretty much nothing and its a good salary.

There more interested in your 5 year history checks, stuff like that.

Hmmm , I don't know. Sounds ok but you'd be constantly spied upon , no ?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm , I don't know. Sounds ok but you'd be constantly spied upon , no ?
    Dunno, i hate jobs you have to wait to start so i never applied.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you keep trying to justify to the world computer science at aberdeen. You should be happy yourself that you got it, you shouldnt care what other people think. They are going to believe what they want too. Is as if your ashamed, i dont have have to justify to anyone geography at kcl or pharmacy at ucl
    I am, just stop undermining my department with your elitist attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I am, just stop undermining my department with your elitist attitude.
    Its elitest, its factual, i went to soton also for a year,lol. So i can't really be elitest,lol. Its not nice giving someone £36k of debt when they may have better options or can try for better.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh a levels are a joke. I worked hard for mine, but didn't do what was expected of me. All my friends at uni did far better at a level, and yet on the same course at a top 1% (supposedly) university I'm matching their grades quite easily. I think that's proof a levels aren't an accurate level of ability when it comes to university level work. In fact, one of my sem teachers told me to forget everything I learnt at a level and start again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.