University of Edinburgh Offer Holders 2015 Thread Watch

differential96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey everyone,

I'm holding an unconditional for Chemical Engineering. I'm a student from Sweden, and Edinburgh is way better than any school I can go to here. Any other Engineering students here? Chemical Engineering seems like it has some pretty solid satisfaction rates among students (somewhere around 85+% if I recall correctly).

Sidenote: Is it weird that I don't feel all that great for getting in? I've heard that it's nearly impossible for international students to get accepted to Edinburgh (<10% chances), but I don't feel like I've accomplished all that much? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a douche.
ronareads
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Finally got my (conditional, A at a Scottish higher) offer last week! Applied for English literature with German if anyone is interested
sofia.p
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by differential96)
Hey everyone,

I'm holding an unconditional for Chemical Engineering. I'm a student from Sweden, and Edinburgh is way better than any school I can go to here. Any other Engineering students here? Chemical Engineering seems like it has some pretty solid satisfaction rates among students (somewhere around 85+% if I recall correctly).

Sidenote: Is it weird that I don't feel all that great for getting in? I've heard that it's nearly impossible for international students to get accepted to Edinburgh (<10% chances), but I don't feel like I've accomplished all that much? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a douche.
I'm also from Sweden! Not chemical engineering though.

The acceptance rate actually varies a bit. I applied for landscape architecture and also have an unconditional. If you look at this http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.13...0for%20web.pdf you can see that about 100 people applied for LA last year, and 66% got offers. However those numbers only consider applicants eligible for the home fees.

After I looked at that list I felt the same way as you felt, that perhaps its not really a big deal. But I have been researching lots and the more I look into the University and the city itself the more excited I am to study there! And not Lunds and not Uppsala stand anywhere close to Edinburgh. I think you should be very proud that you came in... I mean, here in Sweden they only look at grades and nothing else. In the UK we've needed a personal statement and a reference!
bxwie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kumbatia)
Hey congrats! I applied for english lit too, just wondering when you submitted your UCAS? I did mine right on the deadline and still haven't heard back. Did you just receive your offer?
Hey, sorry this reply is so late! It was submitted on the 15th of December. Yeah, I had just received my offer. Thanks, and good luck!
bxwie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bryony.Mole6)
I have applied for English Literature and History however have not received an offer yet. What grades did you get last year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got ABB at higher (due to health reasons I was unable to complete anymore and one higher was completed whilst I was still in and out of hospital, so I think they took this into consideration) I'm unsure if they focused on my predicted grades, though. I'm predicted A at Advanced higher English and AB at my other highers. I'm sure they'll get back to you quickly!
allyballyb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xhocka)
any history of art kids out there?
I applied for History of Art, but I'm really worried because my friend got an unconditional for the course recently but I still haven't heard back. I also applied to do Fashion at the college of art and haven't heard from them either. Have you still to hear back or have you received an offer?
Claudia_gx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by oliwialidia)
Yay! What was your offer? I'd be great to know someone else on the course! ������
AAB how about you? I was so shocked thought it would be AAA
XTimmoX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone who's applied for psychology heard anything back yet? I applied in like November last year and not heard anything back yet
Ghughes92
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I received an offer for Architecture last week. Anyone else here going for the same?
Rovensie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by differential96)
Hey everyone,

I'm from China, and yes, honestly I'm feeling the same A lot of my friends who didn't really worked hard got into Edinburgh and some of them even had their parents write their PS. Actually everyone I know who applied to Edinburgh got in... And this made me really reluctant when I chose to firm Edinburgh. They ask only for BBB, and unlike the situation in the UK where most of the offer holders achieve higher than that, a lot of the offer holders I know here in China can only (hardly) achieve BBB. I'm not saying that people who don't do A Levels well are unable to do well in university, but I do believe it can be an indicator on how hard they work. I'm not complaining about anything , and I'm just saying actually it's most likely that I can still get into Edinburgh without having spent so much time on studying or doing my research or reading around my subject, etc. It's quite contradictory with Edinburgh's reputation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bryony.Mole6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it possible if I get an offer to switch the course once I'm there ? I applied for English lit and history but as I have been doing work experience as a history teacher for first years, I have decided it is what I want to do and want to switch to history and sociology, could this be a problem ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hperkins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kieranrafferty1)
Hey, is anyone here going to study maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
WOOH! been reading all through this thread to hear about maths offer holders! I have a conditional, AAA, offer for mathematics.
oliwialidia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Claudia_gx)
AAB how about you? I was so shocked thought it would be AAA
Really!? Mine was BBB! I was shocked because I was expecting a lot higher! It's so weird ours are so different!
oliwialidia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rovensie)
I'm from China, and yes, honestly I'm feeling the same A lot of my friends who didn't really worked hard got into Edinburgh and some of them even had their parents write their PS. Actually everyone I know who applied to Edinburgh got in... And this made me really reluctant when I chose to firm Edinburgh. They ask only for BBB, and unlike the situation in the UK where most of the offer holders achieve higher than that, a lot of the offer holders I know here in China can only (hardly) achieve BBB. I'm not saying that people who don't do A Levels well are unable to do well in university, but I do believe it can be an indicator on how hard they work. I'm not complaining about anything , and I'm just saying actually it's most likely that I can still get into Edinburgh without having spent so much time on studying or doing my research or reading around my subject, etc. It's quite contradictory with Edinburgh's reputation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was only asked for BBB too, and that was my lowest offer, even though Edinbrugh was my best uni, however, I've been told that sometimes if they want you to get in, they give lower offers, but I do think it's different from course to course! Plus, I'm thankful, because even if I screwed up an exam I'd still get in! It's a relief!
kieranrafferty1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hperkins)
WOOH! been reading all through this thread to hear about maths offer holders! I have a conditional, AAA, offer for mathematics.
Nice Are you first year or second year entry?
JusttMatty
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone got an offer for International Business yet? I have seen any business course posts on the thread!
Frank the Tankk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Accepted my offer for BSc Computer Science!
hperkins
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kieranrafferty1)
Nice Are you first year or second year entry?
First year - I think - you?
stoptheclocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied for law but I'm still waiting for reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
kieranrafferty1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hperkins)
First year - I think - you?
Yeah same

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise