Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    Well St Andrews has more of their research rated as 4*/3* than Nottingham (2% more). Why don't you acknowledge that point?
    "unis set targets for how many top employers parade themselves on site" - do you have a source for this?

Wow, you're actually incredibly rude.
    I live next to Selly Oak, just a mile away, and grew up in the city. So I am entitled to give my view on the area.

As for targets, download the Nottingham 2010-2015 strategic plan from their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollywood Hogan)
    Nottingham makes a good case to be a top 10 due to the large graduate employer targeting on campus, plus the popularity the university has with the best private schools. For overall reputation it is still a notch below Bristol and Warwick, but many students still choose it for the graduate prospects and stunning campus. Having had direct contact with the university, they have said the entry requirements at Nottingham are to be gradually increased over the next 5 years. The Nottingham brand just sneaks it into 10th place, even if the brand itself was only really developed in the 90s.
    Hmm it's strange that when arguing on Exeter's behalf earlier, you completely discarded the factors you are now using to justify Nottingham's place in the top 10... Exeter is targeted way more heavily by private schools than Notts, has a higher UCAS average entry tariff an, looking at the LinkedIn university rankings is more heavily recruited from in 3 out of 6 sectors than Notts...

I wouldn't argue that Exeter is top 10 as I can't really be bothered, but I don't view Nottingham as a top 10 university either,mainly due to as the other person mentioned, its low entry requirements and breed of less intelligent students there in comparison to the rest of the very top tier of unis. Its still really good, don't get me wrong, but when people I know have received places there this year when getting 4Bs at AS level, I'm a bit dubious about its premium status.

But seeing as you studied at Nottingham, I'm not going to comment on how rude and touchy you've been following proposals that Notts isn't in the top ten. Can't blame you for trying to defend your uni

Looking at your started threads; "St Andrews and Durham more prestigious than Nottingham? I Think not", "Is Nottingham a top 10 university" "Nottingham is the best multi faculty university after Oxbridge" It's clear that you're pretty self conscious about the standing of your uni and seem to spend a lot of time trying to justify to yourself that you went to a great establishment... Well done for going to Nottingham, it's a great uni, but seriously to anyone on this thread, I would advice against arguing about this with Hollywood Hogan as the Hulkster seems to spend his life arguing for Nottingham and is therefore probably pretty well equipped to do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The future king found his soulmate there. It is obviously a good uni.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    Looking at the link i hyperlinked in my message, will inform you that 80.1% St Andrews graduates are employed compared to 76.8% of Nottingham graduates. Only a marginal amount more - but more nonetheless.
    No, it doesn't mean that.

Oxford gets 78.4 whilst Cambridge gets 84.7. But in reality Oxford has an employment rate of 94% whilst Cambridge has a 92%.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have been tricked by the UK newspaper rankings. The only official rankings are done by QS, and Nottingham is at 77th in the World and 14th in the UK. Visit the University and you will never place it in the lowly company of Leeds and Newcastle again. Sevenoaks is one of the top 10 private schools in the UK, and received the best results last year for IB/A level grades. They have Nottingham down as a top 10 most applied to. St Andrews was not on the list.

Leeds and Newcastle don't have the same brand appeal as Nottingham, neither does York.
    Have you considered that Sevenoaks students may only do Nottingham as their safe option? St Andrews is not safe enough and it's not Oxbridge. It's also in Scotland.

QS also is not the only official ranking. There also is Times and they placed Nottingham at No 171. And ARWU placing Nottingham at No 101-150.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, the UK newspaper rankings are UNOFFICIAL. That means they get ignored by the UK government and top UK universities at the business end of their performance assessments and standings. You might like them, but you know what, you don't mean a thing compared to the circles that do matter when it comes to rankings.

If Sevenoaks likes Nottingham, that shows the reputation Nottingham has with a prestigious private school.

St Andrews is too small to be a premier UK university.
    The only ranking not ignored by the UK government is the REF ones.

ReputationRep:
    Only your little bracket chooses to ignore the fact that Nottingham is on the list of premier universities which Oxford regards as good enough to allow entry into their postgraduate programmes. Another young whipper-snapper who downloads newspaper rankings and forms unfounded opinions in his/her head.

Sadly, due to not being invited into the Russell Group in 2012, St Andrews is in the top 20-30 region in the eyes of academia.
    Oxford also admits graduates from Birmingham, SOAS, Brookes, and worse universities overseas only from the pool of people I know personally. They even got someone from Portsmouth. I know someone from City University who got into Cambridge.

As said time and time again, the university you go to is only a minor factor in postgraduate admission. As long as it's a recognised university, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    And I bet you never visited either? Birmingham lags way behind Nottingham for facilities and quality of buildings on campus. Nottingham is a rich university, partly due to the size, and partly due to increased industrial funding (ranked 5th). The recent fire crippled the Glaxosmithkline funded new Chemistry building, only for another to be built in it's place.

I bet the Aberdeen students are all Scots keen to avoid tuition fees south of the border. A small university.

Glasgow is comparable to Nottingham, but Notts is viewed as better by employers and academia still.

Come back when any of the above unis build striking campuses abroad like Nottingham has done. Nottingham is a truly global university.
    Nottingham is soooo much richer than Birmingham it's only got 43.7% of the endowment Birmingham has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Oxford also admits graduates from Birmingham, SOAS, Brookes, and worse universities overseas only from the pool of people I know personally. They even got someone from Portsmouth. I know someone from City University who got into Cambridge.

As said time and time again, the university you go to is only a minor factor in postgraduate admission. As long as it's a recognised university, it's fine.
    This is also because, in general, post-graduate courses are nowhere near as competitive as undergraduate courses at Oxford (and, for some post-grad courses, there is practically no competition whatsoever). If you look at the more competitive post-graduate courses Oxford offers, you'll find practically everyone did their undergrad at a select few top universities. But of course, this isn't because Oxford just decides to pick the students who did their undergrad at a top university, it's because this is where the best students have gone.

ReputationRep:

What exactly do you mean by a "recognized" university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It only has a total of 9000 undergraduate students, and no Russell Group membership. It should be respected for what it is, but I don't think top graduate employers rate it a top 10.
    I hope you know that Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton all have around 6k undergrads. Its not the number that counts its the quality. A school that accepts nearly everyone who applies just doesn't carry the same prestige as one that accepts only a few of the best. RG membership is overblown, a lot of RG unis aren't really prestigious in my opinion and just like you have MIT and Stanford not in the Ivy League you have good unis that aren't in any specific group.

Considering that the Ivy League really is a sporting league of america's oldest unis, a british Ivy League would likely have included St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is soooo much richer than Birmingham it's only got 43.7% of the endowment Birmingham has.
    Notts has a better profile for income streams, having a larger student body, campuses abroad, and higher industrial funding. That is what I mean by richer, the ability to generate a higher income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    This is also because, in general, post-graduate courses are nowhere near as competitive as undergraduate courses at Oxford (and, for some post-grad courses, there is practically no competition whatsoever). If you look at the more competitive post-graduate courses Oxford offers, you'll find practically everyone did their undergrad at a select few top universities. But of course, this isn't because Oxford just decides to pick the students who did their undergrad at a top university, it's because this is where the best students have gone.
    As I've said time and time again, you cannot compare the 'competitiveness' this way. All postgraduate applicants will already have an undergraduate degree, so you'll need to consider both the competitiveness of their undergraduate courses plus the ones with the PG courses. Then there's also the fact that PG courses only have an acceptance 2% higher than UG courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    What exactly do you mean by a "recognized" university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the official wording. My definition would be a university recognised by governments and most employers. And one that's also accredited in some ways by other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    I hope you know that Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton all have around 6k undergrads. Its not the number that counts its the quality. A school that accepts nearly everyone who applies just doesn't carry the same prestige as one that accepts only a few of the best. RG membership is overblown, a lot of RG unis aren't really prestigious in my opinion and just like you have MIT and Stanford not in the Ivy League you have good unis that aren't in any specific group.

Considering that the Ivy League really is a sporting league of america's oldest unis, a british Ivy League would likely have included St Andrews.
    Ivy League is a league for universities in the north-eastern region though, so having Stanford included would make as much sense as the Russell Group including Harvard.

I know that's not your point but just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willburrr)
    Hmm it's strange that when arguing on Exeter's behalf earlier, you completely discarded the factors you are now using to justify Nottingham's place in the top 10... Exeter is targeted way more heavily by private schools than Notts, has a higher UCAS average entry tariff an, looking at the LinkedIn university rankings is more heavily recruited from in 3 out of 6 sectors than Notts...
    Exeter is a much, much smaller university, and not a research powerhouse, and struggles badly in QS World rankings (250 region?). Some vice chancellors have questioned the value of some of the unis in the Russell Group, and I don't doubt Exeter is one of those. 27.5% of the 24,000 students at Notts come from a private school background, which is a very large number of students. Notts is a civic university, and offers courses like Nursing and Midwifery, which will affect the profile of student and grades required for entry to an extent.

You need to practice what you preach, re-read your own drivel from the extracts of your last post which I did not quote, the comments are stupid, offensive, and ethically alarming and personal.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is a much, much smaller university, and not a research powerhouse, and struggles badly in QS World rankings (250 region?). Some vice chancellors have questioned the value of some of the unis in the Russell Group, and I don't doubt Exeter is one of those. 27.5% of the 24,000 students at Notts come from a private school background, which is a very large number of students. Notts is a civic university, and offers courses like Nursing and Midwifery, which will affect the profile of student and grades required for entry to an extent.

You need to practice what you preach, re-read your own drivel from the extracts of your last post which I did not quote, the comments are stupid, offensive, and ethically alarming and personal.
    Practise what I preach? I didn't preach anything... I said I couldn't really blame you for trying to defend your university.

The more pressing ethically alarming matter is that you are a man, who is an adult, has a job and yet in their spare time, comes on a website full of students who are much younger than you, calls them stupid, is rude and abrasive all for your own self validation and to nurse your insecurities about your intellect and university... bit pathetic don't you think...

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure I believe you, as Oxford had been criticised after a leaked letter outlined that they would barely consider second rank universities for admission to postgraduate courses provided the, let alone 3rd rank ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willburrr)
    Practise what I preach? I'm didn't preach anything... I said I couldn't really blame you for trying to defend your university.

The more pressing ethically alarming matter is that you are a man, who is an adult, has a job yet in their spare time, comes on a website full of students who are much younger than you, calls them stupid, is rude an abrasive, for your own self validation... bit pathetic don't you think...
    Just shut up and focus on getting the grades for uni. Leave the *****y attitude at home. You are young still.

ReputationRep:

I can almost smell the fedora and inability to speak to the opposite sex each time you speak xo

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.