Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    start as early as possible worked for me
    I mean, preparation for an exam, would the focus be on going through questions , or remembering content ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    When I type it in I get the same expansion I had But it'd probably be worth trying to do it exact

definitely ... it also gives more plesure when you "kill" it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjasinpjs)
    I mean, preparation for an exam, would the focus be on going through questions , or remembering content ect

By now you should be doing pats papers (as many as you can lay your hands on) and exam style questions.
    (Maths is not about remembering, particularly that close to exams.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    the non limit one (mathematician to be)
    the limit one without substitution (engineers and physisists...)

joking

well done as they very hard
    thank you. this has motivated me to get started with fp3 revision tomorrow. I am going to be a chemical engineer and I've heard there is more maths than chemistry in it .. so should be fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachu)
    thank you. this has motivated me to get started with fp3 revision tomorrow. I am going to be a chemical engineer and I've heard there is more maths than chemistry in it .. so should be fun!
    all the best

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot (14).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  365.2 KB

Part C in the mark scheme makes the point that the vectors lie in the same plane, and that its a parallelogram, how can they get this information from the question/answers that i worked out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot (14).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  365.2 KB

Part C in the mark scheme makes the point that the vectors lie in the same plane, and that its a parallelogram, how can they get this information from the question/answers that i worked out?

Thanks
    crossing 2 vectors produces a vector which is perpendicular to both.
    if you dot is with a third vector and you get zero this implies that this vector lies in the same plane as the first two you crossed.

so they are coplanar...

(There is another explanation with volumes...)

ReputationRep:
    Tip for people who take physics and are doing FP3. axb can be figured out using right hand grip rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Tip for people who take physics and are doing FP3. axb can be figured out using right hand grip rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean Flemings left/right hand rule? Grip rule is to do with direction of the field or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    crossing 2 vectors produces a vector which is perpendicular to both.
    if you dot is with a third vector and you get zero this implies that this vector lies in the same plane as the first two you crossed.

so they are coplanar...

(There is another explanation with volumes...)

ah, so if that is true, are they on the same plane and also 90 degrees to each other?

if they are on the same plane, does that mean that the tetrahedron 0ABC, has no volume since it has no vertical height.

also can i deduce that it is a parallelogram because, of part A, where the triangle has an area, so two of these OABC form a parallelogram on the same plane

ReputationRep:
    ah, so if that is true, are they on the same plane and also 90 degrees to each other?

if they are on the same plane, does that mean that the tetrahedron 0ABC, has no volume since it has no vertical height.

also can i deduce that it is a parallelogram because, of part A, where the triangle has an area, so two of these OABC form a parallelogram on the same plane
    green is correct
    red not correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    green is correct
    red not correct
    oh i see, by the third vector you mean the perpendicular vector(e.g from a,b), so if i do the dot with the perpendicular and the final vector(c) to get 0 then all three a,b,c lie on the same plane.

You have amazing understanding! Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    oh i see, by the third vector you mean the perpendicular vector(e.g from a,b), so if i do the dot with the perpendicular and the final vector(c) to get 0 then all three a,b,c lie on the same plane.

You have amazing understanding! Thank you for your help
    no worries

ReputationRep:
    3 out of 5 times, when i copying the vector from question to answer booklet, i copied it wrong. Today once again, and I did a whole page of cross product/matrix equations after that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Can someone please help me with June 2014 (GCE) Question 6(a). I don't understand the use of identities in the mark scheme :/
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 07.52.15.png
Views: 109
Size:  46.6 KB

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pri2506)
    Hey
    Can someone please help me with June 2014 (GCE) Question 6(a). I don't understand the use of identities in the mark scheme :/

Thank you
    They are using double angle formulas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pri2506)
    Hey

Thank you
    Hey bud, that was a very challenging question because of the trigonometry stuff, however the concepts are true if you keep to them you can do the question.

1) Find the gradient between the two points
    2) Use the equation of the line
    3) Use algebra manipulation by the factor formula in the c3 section of the book [ this is the tricky part]
    4) Sub the factor formula into the question of your line, and then at the very last part apply double angle formula HINT [ Cos ( a - b) formula is used]

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    June 14 was a gift of a paper! Only really difficult question where I lost marks was the co-ordinate geometry one, with the equation of the chord. Any tips for these questions? I absolutely dread them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get the vector equation of a plane from the scalar form? If so, whats the method? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chughes17)
    June 14 was a gift of a paper! Only really difficult question where I lost marks was the co-ordinate geometry one, with the equation of the chord. Any tips for these questions? I absolutely dread them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey bro i had a bit of difficulty finding the eigenvector (1) because if any other value was used of y,z instead of x first you get a completely different vector, can you explain why?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.