Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    False flag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BleiYoung)
    For somebody that appears to have the basic knowledge/ education to understand how to use the internet, I'm suprised that you just typed a statement that lacked so much sense. Asking 'decent' muslims to apologise on behalf of a few members of their group is very foolish. The 'decent Muslims' did nothing wrong than following their religion peacefully. Next time a European commits a crime, I am expecting an apology from every single European thanks Tell a white person about slavery and the repercussions of their ancestors actions they're quick to do 'That wasn't me you can't blame me'.
    The poster is not asking for an apology. They are saying that Muslim communities need to tackle this problem from within.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    The militants have said why they are attacking those offices. They attacked them because of cartoons.

It is the same reason why they murdered a Japanese translator, 30 years ago over Rushdie's book.

The insane reaction is exactly the same.

Whether you would like to talk about it or not, the reality is that irrational belief that the Qu'ran is a perfect document and that Mohammed is the next best thing next to God has led these extreme reactions.
    And my point is that these militants may not even exist if (what they see as) the West hadn't provoked them by (what they see as) invading their country, using military bruteforce to strongarm in another regime then fund a neighbouring country to develop its military. That's how this flavour of terrorist sees things. They see certain UN nations as people who invaded their country, screwed everything up then left a right mess. How accurate their view is to the reality is very debateable.

I understand your point- that extreme religious zealotry is the reason two individuals killed 10 and wounded 11. And I agree with you- but your take on the extent of Islam's role in the shooting is not the same as mine. Likewise, these two men killed in the name of Islam, but not all Muslims (in fact, considering the number of extremists is a minority of the total population of Muslims) have the same take on how they should interperet their religion. There are nuts in every religion, there are nuts in every political party, there are nuts in every agenda or movement or beleif. Simply put: thare are nuts everywhere. This nut killed for Allah. The next nut might kill in the name of cotton candy. What makes them a nut is not for what reason the kill in, but the fact that they kill.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    This attack could have been avoided. Yes, there is freedom of speech BUT there is provocative media. For such a well known and 'respected' media house they should have expected this reaction. Some of these people who claim to be muslims are absolutely crazy. It is a vile religion on a whole and as someone with an arab/islamic heritage I think everyone should stand tall and stop every muslim who acts like an animal. HOWEVER, there are of course muslims who are peaceful but are the minority these days.

ReputationRep:
    Who told you they're Muslims?Always Islam is the reason! b****t
    why mods delete any thread or comment When TSRs muslims writes something here about non-muslims! Is that what you're seeing right?

Anyway,The Criminals are from France, not Muslims!

ReputationRep:
    in america the police would have dealt with them, no wonder why the french are seen as cowards. its not as if those gunmen where terminators from the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    The poster is not asking for an apology. They are saying that Muslim communities need to tackle this problem from within.
    The problem is, how? In a community with 1.2 billion people, how can you ask Muslim community to tackle the problem.

The number is thrown about often on here, but I don't think anyone really grasps the magnitude.

If the Quran itself actively stated that people should engage in violent acts, many more Muslims would engage in it. However, quite often, these terrorist acts occur as sudden, minute flashes that get a ton of publicity (which is exactly what the perpetrators are looking for). More publicity = more discontented individuals wanting to create the impact as a reaction against what they perceive to be injustices against their people.

It's frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6)
    False flag
    after just watching the video of the execution this doesnt seem like such a crazy idea
    who gets shot in the head and theres no blood??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    The problem is, how? In a community with 1.2 billion people, how can you ask Muslim community to tackle the problem.

The number is thrown about often on here, but I don't think anyone really grasps the magnitude.

If the Quran itself actively stated that people should engage in violent acts, many more Muslims would engage in it. However, quite often, these terrorist acts occur as sudden, minute flashes that get a ton of publicity (which is exactly what the perpetrators are looking for). More publicity = more discontented individuals wanting to create the impact as a reaction against what they perceive to be injustices against their people.

It's frustrating.
    I don't know it was not even my idea. If you actually look at my post I was correcting someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    The BBC has thankfully shown some of the cartoons on its 6 o'clock news. I applaud the news director for choosing to do so.
    Just watching the news on ch 4
    In the middle of the report " it is ch4s policy not to show the cartoons" , no explanation then I suppose they would have to admit it is fear driven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    As soon as i heard about the attack i didn't even have to ask who the perpetrators were...

The decent Muslims, of which the vast majority are, need to stop radical fascist terrorists from doing these things.
    The point which must be noted is that hebdo magazine didn't exclusively target muslims, they made fun of christianity, popes etc. About an hour ago 40 people died in Yemen(http://abcnews.go.com/International/...yemen-28046604) in an apparent suicide attack and it was just last month 100+ children were slaughtered in Pakistan. Everyday 100's
    of muslims are killed by these lunatics who are just using religion as an excuse to kill.

ReputationRep:
    How can the gunmen still be missing? Something fishing defo. Just like in 9/11 when some Israelis with explosives were allowed back to Israel without being checked. There is something the government is not telling us.

ReputationRep:
    Cabu was the only famous alumnus of my high school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    In the middle of the report " it is ch4s policy not to show the cartoons" , no explanation then I suppose they would have to admit it is fear driven.
    anyone can go online and see any of these cartoons. i bet the freaks that organised this attack were never avid readers of this french magazine , they jsut heard about cartoons it published over 18 months ago and went nuts, just like any islamist does. the further stupidity is, people have made cartoon or drawings of satire of mohammed for ages ( even centuries ago btw). South Park made fun of him way back and still today you can watch south park in various muslim countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    How can the gunmen still be missing? Something fishing defo. Just like in 9/11 when some Israelis with explosives were allowed back to Israel without being checked. There is something the government is not telling us.
    They have fled to the northeastern suburbs, where they will be hidden by the locals.

ReputationRep:
    This is really horrible, I send my condolences to those involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trupac)
    The point which must be noted is that hebdo magazine didn't exclusively target muslims, they made fun of christianity, popes etc. About an hour ago 40 people died in Yemen(http://abcnews.go.com/International/...yemen-28046604) in an apparent suicide attack and it was just last month 100+ children were slaughtered in Pakistan. Everyday 100's
    of muslims are killed by these lunatics who are just using religion as an excuse to kill.
    it is not an excuse to them it is the Modus Operandi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemner01)
    And my point is that these militants may not even exist if (what they see as) the West hadn't provoked them by (what they see as) invading their country, using military bruteforce to strongarm in another regime then fund a neighbouring country to develop its military. That's how this flavour of terrorist sees things. They see certain UN nations as people who invaded their country, screwed everything up then left a right mess. How accurate their view is to the reality is very debateable.

I understand your point- that extreme religious zealotry is the reason two individuals killed 10 and wounded 11. And I agree with you- but your take on the extent of Islam's role in the shooting is not the same as mine. Likewise, these two men killed in the name of Islam, but not all Muslims (in fact, considering the number of extremists is a minority of the total population of Muslims) have the same take on how they should interperet their religion. There are nuts in every religion, there are nuts in every political party, there are nuts in every agenda or movement or beleif. Simply put: thare are nuts everywhere. This nut killed for Allah. The next nut might kill in the name of cotton candy. What makes them a nut is not for what reason the kill in, but the fact that they kill.
    Well, that might be the reason why some extremists are created. That is still religious though.

If it was not for the Jihadist / Brotherhood element of Islam then why would a Muslim from the other-side of the world care?

We can agree that it is a minority of Muslims. However, the reason why these violent reaction exist and will continue to exist is because people hold the Qu'ran to be the literal word of God and Mohammed to be the next best thing to God.

As long as those beliefs are held, then people will get killed for Cartoons and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Channel 4 are apologists so this doesn't surprise me. Good on the BBC for being courageous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.